Click for Westport Click for Walker Click for Cross Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger

Northern Marine Baden Listed for Sale

Discussion in 'Northern Marine Yacht' started by Tiaraguy, Sep 27, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Tiaraguy

Tiaraguy New Member

Baden is now listed at CooperSS. Lots of photos for those who are curious. Is it just me, or does it look the wiring was done nice and neat wherever it could be accessed, but everywhere else it was pretty disorganized? Yes, I realize ceiling lights and other appliances have been removed and their wires are hanging down. Looking beyond that.
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

It's overpriced by at least $500,000.
  3. revluc

revluc Member

Yachts can get a second life after they have gone under. A Fun Day (Spencer) is looking to be back on the water, Silver Fox was back on the water after controls went nuts and it rammed the pier, Tar Baby (Weaver) is now a charter boat, etc.
    Problem is this one never actually could float, so the prop and the anchor are about the only items worth anything now.
  4. olderboater

Yes, never floated, poorly designed, but also left wet and untreated and every inch of it inside looks water damaged plus mold likely throughout. Well, the bathtubs look good. Really you could strip it and then have the hull and structure. Ah, but then they don't work right either.
  5. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Then take a chain saw and cut the house off & get her down to the hull.........
  6. olderboater

Perhaps but would we even trust the hull?
  7. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Yes, then a gut job to get it back to a design like one of its more stable sister ships.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Boat has been in inside storage since incident and recently taken outdoors where it was prepared for sale.

It's sitting where she was hauled and stored.
    Nobody did anything to save her machinery?
    Does the left coast take artificial reef donations?
  9. chesapeake46

I was thinking more like:
    Dig a big hole in your back yard.
    Sink the hull into the hole and, Viola, you have a cool swimming pool with a great back story.
  10. olderboater

You really think it would hold water in since it obviously couldn't keep it out?
  11. OrthoKevin

OrthoKevin Member

Wouldn't it be a liability nightmare when all the neighbors are in the 'pool' and it goes into a 75 degree heel?
  12. chesapeake46

O.B. : Almost all of them allow water in when you turn them on their sides...

O.K.: Hah.
  13. olderboater

It will be interesting to see if anyone is willing to pay $500k or more for it. I can only see it making sense for someone who owns a boatyard and even then I'd be afraid to ever resell it regardless of the work done on it. I wonder if there are storage charges to be paid on top of the bid or they're coming out of the bid money. Then can only imagine the shipping costs.
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Would the designs / plans / specs / scantlings / engineering notes / weld inspection reports / any trade-mark or licensees come with this hulk?
  15. chesapeake46

Remediating the exposed mold is a problem enough. How do you get to the voids and spaces too small or unaccessible ?
    How do you protect yourself from liability of unaccessible mold ?
    You'd practically have to give the boat away to a boat yard as mentioned or some dreamer with a lot of time & money.
  16. olderboater

I think you'd have to strip everything out.

As to Ralph's questions, I can't imagine anything would accompany it. I'd think to get a clear title would be task enough. Wonder who is even the owner at this point.
  17. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Then its scrap.
  18. CptnMaxwell

CptnMaxwell New Member

The boat was stored inside as I visited the shed it was in. The comment was that they weren't touching it until all of the legal work was complete. This suggests that has now happened.
    Storage inside also explains why the exterior is in nice condition. Pity that interior is so bad. I wonder whether the photographer had a respirator on?
    Even the nice paint job is a hindrance to any future of the vessel as that you would want the blue to be gone if you wanted to avoid any history.
    It will be very interesting to see what happens to it...
  19. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

How much would a "starter" hull cost in the same size?
    If they could bring back (refit) the sunken original Delta 70 Zopilote, I am sure they can do the same on this project boat. Doesn't she have a sister hull or two without a tri-deck profile that passes the stability criteria?
  20. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

That is why I was asking about mfg data in post #14. It's hard to figure out what you have and how to compare it to other boats (sister ships included) with out this data. Also harder to modify what you have since you don't know what you have.

Understanding the ballast issue; why it rolled, would be important information.