Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for JetForums

Nordhavn Handling and Hull Design

Discussion in 'Nordhavn Yacht' started by clnewman, Jan 23, 2007.

1. clnewman

clnewman New Member

Am still plodding along, muddling through all the designs I've seen out there, and I keep coming back to Nordhavn. Am going to check out 2 55s and a 57 this week.

I heard through the grapevine that there were some serious pitch and roll issues on a lot of their vessels in one of the recent Atlantic crossing rallies. Can anybody confirm/deny this, and if it did indeed occur, indicate if the issues have been rectified in subsequent hull (re)design? I'm speaking more of how the hulls handled the seas from a design perspective, as opposed to the fact that it was just rough out there, and everybody was tossing their cookies.

Also, has anybody been out on the 55, 57 and or 64 in varying sea conditions? Am most curious about the direction Nordhavn took in the 57's hull... a radical departure from conventional displacement hull form. Strange that the 57 has bulbous bow, but the 55/64 don't.

Thanks,

Chuck
  2. Gareth

Gareth New Member

I only know about the 62

I just crossed the pond on a 62. No stability problems as far as rolling and pitching. She tended to yaw, almost like a sailboat broaches, when the wind was blowing from aft, especially if it was strongish (we saw 50 kts). Nothing compromised however, we did tow warps when it was blowing 50.