Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for Cross Click for Nordhavn

Nordhavn Expedition Yacht Fish 75 Sinks?

Discussion in 'Nordhavn Yacht' started by BobbyK, Oct 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobbyK

BobbyK New Member

Does anyone know why both 1 and 2 EYF75's are up for sale? Is their a common issue?
  2. JWY

JWY Senior Member

I think it's the second go round for 1.
  3. vlafrank

vlafrank Senior Member

I would like to learn the answer to that question too. Maybe they're too slow, and owners have gotten impatient? Wild guess - really have no idea. It could just be the bad economy and/or the cost of maintenance and repairs. I'm constantly surprised that well-built boats like Nordhavns have to be fiddled with and repaired every time they go anywhere. Can't boats be equipped with gear of sufficient quality and robustness that it doesn't break, clog up, jam up, fall out of adjustment, short-circuit, and work loose? I just don't get it.
  4. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Long question, short answer: No
  5. ArielM

ArielM Senior Member

I spoke with the captain on one of them a couple months ago. The owner was unhappy with the fuel efficiency and complained about plowing waves. Apparently it bobs like a cork even in 3-4 foot swells.
  6. BobbyK

BobbyK New Member

Thanks for the info..not sure if anyone heard..Hull number 2 sank at a marina in Cabo 10 days ago. Apparently they had tuna tubes installed a few days prior...appears to have been the issue. Very sad............
  7. ArielM

ArielM Senior Member

Ya i heard about that too. I found a few pics of it a couple days ago but i can't seem to find anymore information on it anywhere. IF you find any articles on it, post them in the thread.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Considering that every yacht starts it's life out of a 55 gallon drum of resin and matting, or sheets of aluminum or steel, and then has a myriad of parts installed in a low volume application, then no. A Nordhaven or any yacht has basically all of the systems of a ship and all of the systems of a house, all thrown together and doused with saltwater, salt air, getting thrown around, varying temperatures, and well you get the idea. Then again preventative maintanence cuts down on things breaking.
  9. Yatter

Yatter Guest

N75YF #1 owner won a lawsuit over lots of things not right. Nordhavn sold the boat for him plus kicked in mula to make the deal. Sad story for elderly owner.

Now a sad story for second owner of # 2.

Sympathies abound.
  10. diesel one

diesel one New Member

Yacht looker

Good afternoon. Just retired after too many years. I have been wandering around boat shows for the past few years generally making a pest of myself with questions. I have been aboard many, not all, 40-75 foot trawlers--no interest in "go fast boats". The eternal question regarding "glass" and metal will probably never be answered but I will go with metal-at least until I learn more. Not closed minded on either "glass" or metal.

I like the looks of Nordhavn's, at least on the surface. I have heard of a group called Nordhavn dreamers, but have also heard the moderator won't hear of even a whiff of negativity regarding the brand. If he does, out the door you go. Anyone have any input on the site? Does the site have worthwhile info on the brand--what's good, what needs improvement, what's bad?

Thanks in advance

Diesel One
  11. BobbyK

BobbyK New Member

Attached Files:

12. diesel one

diesel one New Member

N 75's

Hello: Been doing some research on this question. Hull number one of the series was the subject of a lawsuit--not totally positive of the details --regarding fuel useage/range, ride quality--evidently she "bobs" like a leaf--handling--one description was like the Titanic--slow and ponderous--excess draft. The owner won the suit. Nordhavn helped sell the boat by putting in some money--don't know how much.

Hull number 2, the one that sank in Mexico--had the same set of problems I am told.

Can you imagine the owner's feelings when he heard his multi million dollar boat was resting on the bottom? My heart sank and I don't even know him.

How do you repair such a boat that has soaked in salt water? Or do you even try?

On a related question--anyone have any input regarding Nordhavn's warranty? Is it any good? Response to warrenty claims good? Timely?
  13. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I can tell you that the moderator of that forum - a guy named Callum - has made multiple attempts to promote his blog on YF. In each case, he's signed up with alias screen names, making posts with links to these 'Dreamers', sorta speak. He was warned the first time. He has since been banned.

Personally, if I'm looking to buy a boat, I want to learn from my peers. This was essentially the basis of YF, where actual owners, captains, engineers and mechanics could exchange information, void of manufacturer hype & promotion. I also want to learn from a broad cross section of users, not brand specific. While our boats may be different, the systems they use remain the same.

I've been told by a couple people that if you say anything Nordhavn-negative on that site, your post will be removed along with your membership. From what I understand, the Dreamers site has the support of Nordhavn, although this may only be informational support. Still, isn't that the same as leaving the Fox in charge of the Hen house?
  14. cabobo09

cabobo09 Member

The preliminary report points toward a defective installation of a 2" thru hull fitting and piping supplying a set of tuna tubes. She was in the yard just before she sank. I'm sure a formal report will be issued at a later date.
  15. Seaclusion

Seaclusion New Member

As a member of both YF and Nordhavn dreamers, I think that they are getting a bit of bad rap. They have a lot of "wantabes" asking a lot of the same questions over and over again. But some owners are also on the site as the format is not as strict as the owner's site. There is a lot of good information exchanged, and to my knowledge nobody is getting booted off for negatvie comments.

That said, there is an effort to keep the topic on Nordhavns; new, used and discontinued.

Doug
    M/V Seaclusion
    N50-12
  16. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

My guess is if he/she was well insured and the boat was truly a POS, he/she would be jumping for joy if it was totaled by the insurance company.
  17. cabobo09

cabobo09 Member

You guys are assuming from hear say that the NH 75 are POS boats. The boat sank because some goof ball in the yard didn't install the tuna tubes correctly and somebody didn't check the installation. Don't you think you should sit on your hands and obstain until there is actual proof before you conclude it is a manufactures defect?
  18. Capt Bill11

Note I implied "if" the boat was a POS. And I wasn't talking about what sank it. I was alluding to it's other purported issues.

But IMHO an "ocean going" trawler yacht should not sink at the dock without giving out some kind of warning. And a loud one at that.

Of course perhaps it did but no one was listening. :)
  19. caboken

caboken New Member

The boat that sank

I live near the marina, in San Jose Del Cabo, where the N75 sank, and have seen detailed photos from inside the engine room.

The quick story is that a few days prior to the sinking the boat had tuna tubes installed by a local shipyard. A new 2" thru-hull was cut, and connected to a pump with sanitation hose. The hose had a PVC fitting at the end that was screwed into the top of the pump, which popped up in the middle of the night. This resulted in something like 200 gpm of water coming into the engine room.

I should point out that Nordhavn had nothing to do with any of this.

The boat does have small electric pumps, but they are rated at only about 11 gpm. I don't know whether there was one or two pumps in the engine room. In any event it is irrelevant. There is also a large hydraulic pump (10,000 gph), but it would have required someone to start the engines.

The boat was on a side-tie and there may not have been other boats close enough to have heard the alarm. My guess is that the alarm sounded and no one heard, or no one responded.

The boat has now been refloated and is sitting at the shipyard at the marina. It looks undamaged from the exterior, although I'd imagine the interior is a mess. They were in the process of cleaning up the mess when I saw the boat. The word on the docks was that the boat would be repaired.

On a side note, I regularly "hang out" on Nordhavn Dreamers, and was suprised by the negative comments here. It's actually a great message board, and has a significant number of both Nordhavn Owners, and people interested in Nordhavn.

-Ken Williams
    N68, Sans Souci
  20. Capt Bill11

Nordhavn may have had nothing to do with the thru hull tuna tube installation. But I'd expect much more in the way of an automatic bilge pump system then that. Only one or maybe two 660 gph pumps, in a 75' boat!!
    You can't be serious?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.