Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko Click for JetForums Click for Mulder Click for MotorCheck

Nordhavn 62 Trawler Yacht

Discussion in 'Nordhavn Yacht' started by imnitehawk, Feb 13, 2007.

1. imnitehawk

imnitehawk New Member

I am new to this forum so excuse me if I'm a bit imature in my questions. I would like to know if there has been a review of the Nordhavn 62 trawler yacht. If so, how do I pull it up to read. One more question. What is the purpose of the out rigger poles on most all of Nordhavens trawlers? I look forward to answers. Thanks imnitehawk
  2. clnewman

clnewman New Member

Welcome to the forums!

Like you, I'm also interested in the Nordhavn 62 (see the Advice Needed thread in General Trawler discussion). I don't believe there's a review here of the 62', though there is a discussion on the 68, which is the 62's big sister.

The "outrigger poles" are used as "flopper stoppers", to reduce roll when anchored/moored. Am not sure if they can have paravanes installed to function as additional stabilization while underway, or not.

Perhaps one of you Nordy owers can answer that one.
  3. Ju52

Ju52 Senior Member

Nordhaven 62

I have some pdf of the Nordhavn 62 etc.. in my private storage.
    Give me your mail address and iwill send it to you.

I think it's ok to work for free for Nordhavn :)
  4. Some of the Nordhavn 62s have both active fin stabilizers i.e.Naiads, and also paravanes (flopper stoppers)as a back up.
    The paravanes have a large plate dragged in the water with a constant downward pull helping to reduce roll at anchor, but especially effective while underway. Many commercial fishing boats have paravanes as they already have the tall rigging needed to lift them from the water.

I did a trip a few years ago on a 62 Nordhavn from Key West, FL to Norfolk, VA to teach the new owners about offshore passagemaking. The trip was very luxurious for an industrial strength yacht.

Tucker Fallon
  5. imnitehawk

imnitehawk New Member

Let me try again-not sure the last one went through,
    wollamtwo@yahoo.com. I appreciate all info I can get on the 62'. Was looking forward to reading a review but have not found one as of now. Thanks again
  6. clnewman

clnewman New Member

I toured a brand new 62 (hull #34) in the Dana Pt. yard yesterday. Truth be told, I found it a bit cramped, even with the wide body option... especially the engine room, where if you're not a Munchkin or Oompa Loompa (sic), you can hardly move. I'm too old and cranky to have to crawl around my engine room on my hands and knees to do anything, and it would really suck in heavy water.

Though the fit and finish were beautiful (I've not seen a Nordhavn where this wasn't the case), I find the vessel awkward (for lack of a better term). The ladder to the pilothouse is quite steep, and is an accident waiting to happen in rough seas. Also, this particular vessel didn't have the day head in the PH (it's optional), forcing you outdoors on the wing or to a head down below to answer nature's call. Could be uncomfortable if you have the dog watch and everybody else is sacked out :(

Discussions with the 62 Project Manager confirmed that the stock downrigger booms are for stationary passive stabilization (i.e., while moored or anchored) only. They're not built to withstand the pressure of winged paravanes while under way without modification, and Nordhavn won't guarantee them if used that way.

While a nice boat for weekend cruising, I'd go nuts on a long haul due to the cramped quarters. I'm going to revisit the 55. Though shorter, I think the space is utilized better. Of course, this is just my opinion... YMMV.

Chuck
  7. I actually like the engine room on the 57' Nordhavn better, it has more room to work easily than the 62. I changed a water pump impeller on the main while underway on a 57' and I had great access. Ran on the wing engine for a while and really missed the stabilizers in beam seas.

Tucker fallon
  8. Gareth

Gareth New Member

I did a transat in a 62. I found the engine room to be O.K. (I am a blowboat guy, so maybe I'm used to cramped engine spaces). The one I was on had an inside staircase to the pilot house. So the head issue was not a problem.

Each boat is semi custom so the layout is up to you. Apart from it lacking sails ( a semi serious comment, a sail up forward would have helped in the downwind tracking department), I liked the boat.
  9. clnewman

clnewman New Member

I'm 6'2", 230#... and 54y.o... and have a hard time tying my shoes, let alone crawling around a cramped ER :p

I was describing the inside staircase. I found it quite steep, and imagine getting up/down in a hurry in rough seas for any reason to be (almost) hazardous. The day head issue was more of a joke.

Did you find some yaw issues running downwind or in following seas?

Tucker... I ran the idea by PAE of having a secondary drive connection to the hydraulic system via a PTO on the big Gennie. This way, you still have stabilization when running the wing engine. I wonder if anybody else has done this, or if there are engineering reasons not to.

Comments?
  10. Gareth

Gareth New Member

I'm older than you, but a compact Welshman. No problems in the engine room.

We had some pretty bad weather on the Gibraltar to Canaries run and yes, yawing was an issue, but not an overwhelming one, the autopilot could easily handle it, we did tow warps for a while. it was blowing 50knts and fairly big seas. As a sailor, it was frustrating to be going downwind and not having some rag to put up. if I'd been the skipper, I'd have experimented with the gantry and dinghy cover

I'd have liked better bannisters, handholds on that inside staircase, but that's a detail. With every boat there are details. The one I was on had an office/music creating area where the pilot house head would be and that seemed a good use of a valuable space. I'm not sure about the hydraulics on the wing engine. It would only be a comfort issue, the boat was never in danger of rolling badly, you ought to be able to position her in the seas to minimize rolling. I think the wing engine on ours had the wrong pitch on the maxprop. The boat had just been in the yard and the prop had been worked on.

I was just on as an engineer for the jaunt across the Atlantic. Nice boat.
  11. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

The 62 "get home" engine is, at least on the early models, a tad weak.
    This was mentioned by an article on that vessel in a "yachting" magazine-- I forget the name :) -- and, while debate still goes on, I really cannot understand the desire for a single + wing vs. good 'ol twins.
    My humble opinion, as always.
  12. marque1RB

marque1RB New Member

N62 in Australia

I am new to this Forum also. Could someone tell me what the approximate cost of a new n62 in australia is? Thanks
  13. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Somewhat of an open ended question, based on specific boat, equipment, vintage, condition, and so on. A search at any brokerage site offering them will give you the range of asking prices.
  14. 'RoundTheHorn

'RoundTheHorn Senior Member

15. marque1RB

marque1RB New Member

Thankyou 'roundthehorn. I have left messges.

I think because I was honest and said I havn't owned a boat before they have not taken me too seriously!
  16. Gareth

Gareth New Member

Maybe you should email the US office with your enquiry, in the meantime look on Yachtworld, you can essentially buy one anywhere because of their range.
  17. marque1RB

marque1RB New Member

Thanks Gareth, N-Aust got back to me, looks like I will order a new N63 next year. Already planning first trip with mentors. Thanks again
  18. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

I like your style.

On the 19th you're searching for pricing.
    One the 21st, you have pricing and are planning your first trip on a new order for 2011.
  19. Gareth

Gareth New Member

Good luck with your boat.
  20. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

He might have hit the jackpot with Wednesday night Lotto.