Click for Walker Click for MotorCheck Click for Cross Click for Abeking Click for Comfort

Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by SaltyWalt, Jul 11, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. SaltyWalt

SaltyWalt New Member

I have been asked to "try out" for a watch position on a yacht from FLL to somewhere in the Bahamas...we haven't had the discussion about pay, hours, etc.
    Please help with and advice, words of wisdom,etc.
    Thanks very much!
  2. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

Give us more... Are you applying for a job, friends boat? Is this a yacht that has professional/paid crew? Is this one trip or longer?
  3. SaltyWalt

SaltyWalt New Member

The captain is a contract captain who asked if i would be interested in working the "watch" on a trip to the Bahamas. I suspect it will take at least 1 day. Looking to see if this would be a good part time job as im semi retired
  4. captainwjm

captainwjm Senior member

No offense intended, but have you ever crewed on a vessel? Are you expecting that this 1 day trip to become a regular paying job with just this captain or in the larger industry? You haven't given us enough information to know how to respond to your requests.
  5. SaltyWalt

SaltyWalt New Member

No offense taken...Never been a crew member but I did own a Sea Ray weekender for a few years...Im ex military so I'm not new to hard work..If this job is interesting/enjoyable and the captain likes my work ethic, I hope that he would hire me between consulting engagements..I certainly do not expect to be paid what I'm paid for consulting work..thanks for your patience
  6. captainwjm

captainwjm Senior member

Again, not enough information. But, assume that the hired captain has been retained to deliver a smallish private vessel from point A to point B, and desires a second person onboard to keep him company and to look out the window while he takes a head break, to fetch him a bottle of water and a sandwich, and just be a second pair of eyes. A person with limited or no experience could fill this bill, perhaps. I'd be leery of any "captain" that would take such a person on, unless it was just to have a friend aboard. Even assuming that the "watch" person was competent and with a credible resume, under such circumstances, for a single delivery, the pay would probably be in the low $100s.
  7. SaltyWalt

SaltyWalt New Member

Thanks....
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

ALWAYS have the pay and hours discussion before accepting the trip or job, ALWAYS. Nobody normal looking for a job would not. Never do a trip for free, even as a newbie you should be paid.