Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Glendinning Click for Perko Click for Westport Click for Mulder

New boat - part deaux

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Cpt Sous-Leau, May 14, 2024.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cpt Sous-Leau

Cpt Sous-Leau Member

I just dropped coin on a 57' Carver Voyager pilothouse. I've been shopping for a comfy boat for 3 years. My last attempt ended in flames, smoke, soot and a rejection letter, so the boat of my dreams was still out there.

I had a list of options that I wanted, and found the hull that hits about 80%, which I consider pretty good. I'm going to add a few things I want. This is my Final Boat. I started with a 8ft inflatable when I was about 11, and messed around in local lakes and down to San Diego Mission bay. Had Hobies and various other small sail. After leaving the army, I moved up to some various outboards, and IOs, and moved up through the 28' family. 3 years ago, bought a 37' aft cabin, and we've been looking at 45-53' vessels for a long time. Rather than do another buy-sell with a 45 or 50, I just decided that I'd get the last of the last. No more swaps for me.

Hoping to close mid-June. I'll update as things move forward.
  2. abfish

abfish New Member

Congrats! I believe that I have purchased my final "big boat" as well.
  3. Cpt Sous-Leau

Cpt Sous-Leau Member

^^ Tell us more, or start a thread. ^^

The prev boat I was in love with had the hyd swim step feature. It was pretty high on the list of options for us. This boat has the extended swim step, about 3.5' but not hyd lowering. I contacted one of the vendors for the lifts and they advised me they can add hyd to my option swim step for about $30k. That'll be a next winter project.

The other feature I wanted was the "Yacht Controller" deal as I'm going to be single-hand docking most of the time. This boat not only has the Yacht Controller remote, but it also has a 3rd set of throttle and thruster controls on the inner wall of the transom. So, I can stand back there, and back it in using the hand controls, or I can loop the remote lanyard over my head and walk around while docking like a boss.:cool:

The last feature I was big on was the hardtop fly with AC ducted up there. This boat has that too, with the eisenglass encl and a couple of big ducts to put some cool air upstairs. If we are in a covered slip(most likely), I can keep it modestly cool and spend some time grilling on the Jennair without baking myself. I like to cook on the boat, but don't want nasty smells in the salon/galley.

Has the big engines, that really didn't matter too much because I'm not going very far, but better than the little engines.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Cockpit / aft deck controls? Yes absolutely. But the remote control? Yuck. Never been a fan of it even single handling

which hydraulic platform are you looking at? I ve used both TNT and Nautical structures. TNT doesn’t have locks so if a hose pops or a piston fails, down it goes which can be real bad underway. NS locks but their customer service is awful.
  5. Cpt Sous-Leau

Cpt Sous-Leau Member

Hate the remote? I think it's the greatest gadget since the atomic bomb. I envision myself, standing on the swim step, cigar and a frosty malted beverage, backing down to the dock with my thumb moving the tub where needed.

I emailed TNT and they have the kit to add to my unit. There's another mfg that I contacted but they didn't want to mess with it. Maybe it was NS, I don't recall.
  6. MM3

MM3 New Member

really hope there’s someone filming when this all goes way wrong lol
  7. Cpt Sous-Leau

Cpt Sous-Leau Member

Nice vote of confidence. I'm shocked(not), from gnu yawkuhz. facacta pisher.
  8. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

You might compare Freedom Lift... seems to me it would raise the dinghy higher than our GHS platform lift. And looks like a clean installation...

You might also compare Presto Lift; all the hydraulics don't live in the water.

-Chris
  9. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

I got a good chuckle out of “greatest gadget since the atomic bomb.” The yacht controller would be nice as you can position yourself for maximum visibility. I think Pascal’s concern is a malfunction and while one is away from the helm. I added AC to my flybridge and love it. Enjoy your new boat
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Yes the first concern is failure at the wrong time. What I really hated when I ran a boat with one was the disorienting feeling of not being at a fixed station. Probably something I could have gotten used to but the boat had aft deck controls so why bother.
  11. RER

RER Senior Member

I hope you're joking about operating the controller from the swim step. Or you should envision launching yourself into the water.
  12. Cpt Sous-Leau

Cpt Sous-Leau Member

The boat weighs 26 tons. The controller will go max 10% of WOT. MAYBE, worst case, absolutely stupid operator with no clue could get it up to 1.5-2Kts in rev and slam it into the backstop of a slip. If I'm that stupid, I deserve a dunking and squishing.

What's up with you guys? A little self-deprecating humor and we've got a bunch of arm-chair QBs waiting for disaster.

Yes, I'll operate from the swim step, yes, I'll have someone take video. I hope y'all like to sit and watch boring video for hours on end. Stern of a boat, moving a few inches per minute with a old guy laughing and pointing. :(
    Rerm likes this.
  13. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Nah, experienced boaters who knows Murphy and his law very well:D
    gr8trn, MM3, SeaLion and 1 other person like this.
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Big, small, fast & slow boats, We all have witnessed normal control failures at the wrong times, a few times already. Lots operated by professional captains and crews.

So lets install some RF equipment in there, driven by a battery powered bob/gizmo, operating away from any emergency shutdown or any means to recover manual operation of the boat, all while in close confines of docks, boats and other people (witnesses). Standing and moving around with this battery powered, RF, bob/gizmo. Expecting 100% control over your 1350+ HP, 53000 lb boat. Rite !!

It's going to happen again,,, Who, When, Where; We don't know ??
    NLC4r6s.gif
    Last edited: May 19, 2024
  15. Cpt Sous-Leau

Cpt Sous-Leau Member

While standing literally inches from the stern controller panel. I don't know where you got 'away from any emergency shutdown or means to recover manual operation'. transom-controls.jpg

Keep whining folks. :rolleyes:
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Huh??
    Who's whining?
    We have seen enough carnage, We cry..
  17. MM3

MM3 New Member

“NOOB CHECKING IN WITH THE 'BIG BOAT' FOLKS”

- title of your first post. You appealed to the collected experience here to help you understand your purchase process and boats under consideration.

Now, you’re receiving feedback you don’t like (based on your own irresponsible notions of boat control) and we’re “whining” “armchair quarterbacks.”

Maybe you should solicit advice elsewhere. Good luck with the remote control.
    Capt Ralph likes this.
  18. Cpt Sous-Leau

Cpt Sous-Leau Member

Feedback that's pretty wrong, and useless. Maybe you should upgrade your advice game? So far it's just been a form of 'you will fail, and we will get to grind on you - hahaha.'

Yeah, that's some value right there.;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.