Click for Burger Click for Glendinning Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Walker Click for Mulder

New Approach to Electric Car Charging

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by K1W1, May 18, 2009.

1. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

This kind of induction power was developed in Germany about 35 years ago if I recall it right. They had a test road somewhere and it was said to be the future. Then fuel prices fell again...:rolleyes:
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

That would kind of tie up nicely with the last Oil Crisis, I was not as Technically Skilled owing to my age nor well informed back then owing to my location at the Western Side of the South Pacific- About as far from Germany as one can get and still remain comfortable.
  4. HMI

HMI New Member

5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

That link shows a system a bit like having your alternator in your hubcap.

The Korean one I posted about first works by having a power strip in the road that transfers it's power to strips under the vehicle as the vehicle travels over head, I guess this is much like the Slot Car setup but with no physical contact between vehicle and strips.

It's also interesting to read that some of the energy transfer technology comes from Electric Toothbrushes.

If this wireless current transfer is an actual viable setup and costs can be normalised just imagine how many other items can be completely wireless in everyday life

Unfortunately as the estimated cost is over $500k a mile don't expect to be hitting the I 95 in your inductive charged car any time soon.
  6. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I have seen induction charging on other things too, like mobile phones. You just have a tray where you put it.

Here is more on this topic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inductive_charging
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Lars, I was think more along the lines of a wireless TV that didn't need to have it's battery charged with a cable regularly, a conference room table with Laptop charging built into the table top with no need to plug anything in etc, no exposed terminals in battery operated equipment that can and do often corrode and cause problems.......
  8. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

K1W1, if you read my link you should have found all about it....:)
  9. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Bertram Yacht, and likely a lot of other manufacturers, were using isolation transformers for their shorepower circuits in the larger models (46ft. +) back in the '80s.
    As I understood it, they utilized the inductive transfer of electrical energy mentioned in Lars' Wiki link. The smaller models were 'hard-wired', so I'm certain this was not inexpensive.
    The major benefit, per the engineers, was that this meant no more reverse polarity (remember the red & yellow lights on the main distribution panels?) to worry about.
  10. HMI

HMI New Member

Sorry didn't mean to toss in a non-sequitor. But just to clarify, the electric motors in the PML setup are directly in the wheels. They had a Mini Cooper as a test platform. about 200 miles on a charge, with a small gasoline motor
    to charge the batteries to get a total of about 1,000 km range. 640 HP from the 4 wheel motors! Between 65-85 mpg.

Specs here:

http://www.pmlflightlink.com/pdfs/mini_qed1.pdf

My question is, can we power a boat this way?
  11. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Do you mean having Plus in the Atlantic and Minus in the Pacific and charge in the Panama Canal?

(Sorry, couldnĀ“t resist)
  12. Dan Evans

Dan Evans Senior Member

Wouldn't that just make the Panama Canal the worlds largest short?:rolleyes:
  13. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

The Panama Canal being mostly fresh water would not be any good as an electrical conductor, the Suez on the other hand would work just fine.
  14. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

What about the bathtub murder stories then...? :(
  15. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Bath Salts????? :)

Isn't the head sponge in an electric chair execution soaked in a saline solution?
  16. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

This is another sterling example of how these guys use the figures to make most readers believe they have accomplished transportation miracles.

They don't say what the battery capacity is, they don't give any figures for current or voltage to the motors, they just claim this incredible performance and most readers probably, not unreasonably, assume that the claimed performance is measured just like all the other cars they have ever read about.

Given the size of the car, how many batteries do you think it could carry? Enough to provide 640 horsepower for 200 miles? Does each wheel on that little car carry the unsprung weight of a 160 hp electric motor?

Maybe 640 hp is what it takes to accelerate that car to the speed claimed in the time claimed but can the battery deliver and the motors maintain the current required for more than a few seconds at that power level before melting down?

I wish the general public had either a higher level of technical literacy or a much greater level of skepticism about the claims that are being made in this latest craze for things electrical.
  17. HMI

HMI New Member

All good points of course. Mitsubishi abandoned it's "motor in wheel" efforts because of weight/suspension problems. If memory serves me PML-flightlink used a LiOn battery pack similar to that of a Tesla. Volvo has developed a concept car using PML's in it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmJTsHcZMFQ

and

http://www.gizmag.com/go/7975/

Tesla specs:

http://www.teslamotors.com/performance/tech_specs.php
  18. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

This thread has turned into something shocking, nay, re-volting. Conducting this further may meet with resistance and result in being locked up in a dry cell, eh watt?
  19. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I am afraid to say after reading that that I think you are suffering a phase imbalance and have exceeded the manufacturers maximum current rating for the equipment- take a rest and have the rest of the day off :D
  20. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Well, there shouldn't be too much reactance. Any well-grounded reader should be able to avoid the impulse to flip-flop on the issue. There is already too much distortion because of the crossover nature of the topic.

And you used all the good terms so all there is left are some low-order harmonics ... :)