Click for Glendinning Click for Delta Click for Westport Click for Comfort Click for Northern Lights

New Age Trawler/Motorsailer; Kite assisted PowerYacht

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by brian eiland, Nov 21, 2007.

1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

New Age....Kite Power & Slender Ships

I’ve come to a realization in this current age of escalating fuel prices, that there are two forms of pleasure yachts that are likely to survive the energy crunch, and even possibly flourish…the motorsailer and the kite-assisted power vessel.*

There’s been much written about motorsailers, including my preference for the multihull form of that gender…basically a more easily driven hull for both the motor and sail power to act upon…greater range, more economy, better performance.

Now we come to a new era, and again it’s the ‘fringe’ sailing youngsters that show us another way…kite sailing. You may have witnessed some of this activity out on the bays and the lakes where the windsurfers use to play. Check out this ‘YouTube’ clip,
    “I Can Fly”

There is power in that wind to drive our vessels, and methods to extract it other than conventional vertical mast sailing rigs. Para-foil kites can produce very considerable power, and can be controlled in flight as the military discovered long ago. Now if we get those kites up into the better winds aloft, we can tap into that more consistent energy than exist at the sea level.

Two companies that have been quite active in the promotion of driving ships with kite power are:
    1) KiteShip
    2) SkySails

At present the Skysails group appears the more advanced of the two, particularly when you consider their single-line tethering, and computer flying of the kite. They have an automated stowage and deployment scheme as well. These parafoil kites can even fly upwind to certain degrees. A review of the websites is quite interesting. But they are not the only game in town, there is a lot of military interest in precision flying kites as well; ie, Atair Aerospace

How might this kite business affect the yachting business? It goes back to idea of a motorsailer, or phrased differently, a ‘wind-assisted power vessel’. If we can optimize the economy of the power vessel, as the trawler concept seeks to accomplish, and then add ‘sail’ assistance, we have a recipe for a ‘future class of new trawlers’ that can be quite economical to operate, and have a great range. I believe this could be a very viable alternative yachtform for our new fuel future.

Humphrey’s yacht design is very big on this idea as well. Attached is their tentative proposal for a 40M SkySail MotorYacht. They’ve termed it a SkySail-supplimented MotorYacht, “The use of the word ‘supplemental’ is chosen carefully. While we expect this family of boats to be able to ‘sail’ efficiently under SkySail, we foresee that fundamentally the boats have to be very efficient and seakindly motoryachts, and in this respect the common denominator for efficiently under both forms of motive power is low hull resistance. Thus our work on this generic set has evolved towards slender body hulls that derive stability from wavepiercing outriggers….they are in effect trimaran derivatives, which will have long rang capability under engine, not to mention the ‘free’ miles under SkySail."

I have been following some of the ‘slender ship’ technology as it has cross-over potential with multihull technologies. For a few references, visit these websites, and see a few of the attachments I’ve provided. There is considerably more reference material available.
    1) : Worlds Largest Powered Trimaran
    2)
    White Rabbit tri
    (see also here)
    3) Very Slender Vessel, VSV
    (see also here)
    4) Cable & Wireless Trimaran
    5) Catamaran Vessels :

Lets not forget the catamaran hullform, they are in fact slender ships as well. As I wrote in a recent press release, “Our next design (coming soon) will be an adaptation of this new motorsailing catamaran design into a kite-assisted power cat. We will exclude the Dynarig sailing rig and substitute a SkySail kite rig. Then next will be an entirely new hull design making use of the kite-sail concept”

Back to those design concept drawings by Humphrey’s (attached PDF).
    LINK
    I can fully imagine a scaled-down version of this tri-hull design, in the 65-70 foot range, with a wonderful rear ‘swim’ platform deck incorporating a sportfishing arrangement and/or a Scuba diving platform. Just inside could be a tender stowage as shown; or rather a complete diving & fish tackle facility. The tenders could then stow up on rear deck, or one forward, one aft.

The power would be a single main engine sized to develop the vessel’s desired top speed, and it could transmit this power by conventional shaft/prop arrangement, or with a azimuthing Volvo IPS dual prop unit, or via a retractable azimuthing Rim-Drive prop unit as I included on my latest dynarig motorsailer design.
    1) Volvo IPS
    2) Rim Drive : Rim Drive

Supplementing this single main engine would be a single DC diesel/electric power unit to provide for:
    1) Ships electrical requirements
    2) Slow speed operation by electric (wing) motor belted to main prop shaft
    3) Maneuvering thrusters as required depending upon azimuth capabilities of main prop.

The entire ship would be powered by only two engines, basically sized to provide
    1) Full main diesel power, unimpeded by interceding diesel/electric conversion
    2) Slow speed operation and ship’s systems via the smaller diesel/electric unit
    3) ‘Twin power’ emergency backup as either engine can run all gear
    This configuration more ideally meets the latest thinking for the new diesel/electric DC technologies onboard smaller vessels. Alternatively, two identical diesel/electric plants might be sized such that in combination they would supply the max power required of the vessel, and half power for lesser times.

Only two engines and no conventional sailing rig should make this a more affordable vessel, both in construction, in maintenance, and in operation. However the SkySail kite arrangement will probably more than offset the conventional sailing rig in cost. Possibly a less expensive alternative to this ‘brand name’, with less computerization could be found (no integrated weather/navigation features, etc). Light-weight construction would be desirable but not necessary. Third world hull construction materials are a possibility.

I’ll call it a KiteSail Motorsailer for now.
    Your comments on these ideas are welcomed.

Regards,
    Brian Eiland
    RunningTideYachts.com

* I must include a disclaimer that many ‘superyachts’ will also survive, as there will always be some people with unlimited funds to do whatever strikes their fancy regardless of price of construction and operating expenses.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  2. KCook

KCook Senior Member

From a practical viewpoint my bets are still on the trimarans, or stabilized mono-hulls, as some seem to want to label them. The wind-assist business is beyond my grasp ...

Kelly
  3. brian eiland

4. SharkyFHB

SharkyFHB Senior Member

Brian,

Pretty interesting stuff. You may have heard of the Beluga Group in Germany. They are looking at this technology with SkySails for their merchant vessels. There is also some info on this site about it: http://www.wintecc.de/. If you click on the SkySails picture in the upper right hand corner, you can see a video of the SkySails system in action on a merchant vessel.

I know the guys at Beluga and just out of curiosity will see what the latest status is on their efforts.

JH
  5. Ju52

Ju52 Senior Member

let's see what happens the next years ...

Hi Brian,

I'm not in the yacht industries, but a technical freak.
    Such ideas are in my head about a longer time.

To find a name reduce "KiteSail Motorsailer" to "KiteSailer".
    If you like it, invite me for the sea trials :D

Gerhard
  6. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

7. Guilly

Guilly New Member

I wrongly posted the message down here at other thread in these Forums (http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/t...9-diesel-electric-propulsion-5.html#post51629 ). Brian indicated me this, the correct one. I ask the admnistrator to please delete it from the wrong thread. Thanks in advance.

"The SkySails system is based on the kite constantly flying in dynamic mode (figure of 8), this to generate dynamic stability and increased power.

The kites are able to develope up to 2HP per sqm under the adequate conditions and, as they fly around 110º off the wind, you can even beat to winward with them (although less efficiently, of course). A 55º wind angle off the bow is possible.

For the time being the system is relatively expensive, but probably price will come down with increasing production. I've been investigating applicability to fishing vessels (30 to 70 m trawlers) and the system pays back itself in around 3 years (We did detailed studies of real life conditions for three of such vessels, with the collaboration of their owners and captains). It can be mounted without much fuss in around a week at an existing fishing vessel's forward deck, after the proper detailed engineering study of feasibility, of course. We are trying to mount the system aboard one of such units and test it, not only for free running, but also for when under trawling operations, which is the most important aspect. The bad news is fishing-vessels owners are not easy to convince.... "

(Visit: http://www.skysails.info/index.php?L=1)

Cheers.
  8. brian eiland

9. brian eiland

Attached Files:

10. Gareth

Gareth New Member

A Belgian lady crossed the Atlantic quite some time ago, using a kite on a mastless sailing boat. She wanted to market the idea as a "get you home" method.

Another positive is that trawler and expedition yachts tend to want to broach in following seas, a kite would help stop that.

Not sure i agree with your multihull hypothesis. Doesn't a multihull have more wetted surface for a given volume?
  11. brian eiland

Launching Photo

Here is a nice launching photo of the SkySails unit

Attached Files:

12. brian eiland

13. brian eiland

Kite Cat

Sorry for the rather rough sketch, but here's the kite rig on the catamaran ready for launch

Attached Files:

14. brian eiland

Maiden Voyage of SkySails Vessel

A cargo ship has set off from Bremen to Venezuela to gain first-hand experience being towed partly by wind power. The newly built cargo vessel was towed by wind propulsion for the first time in the North Sea this month. The 160m2 SkySail supported the main engine of the 132m long Carrier MS “Beluga SkySails” of the Bremen-based Beluga Shipping with approx. five tons of tractive force at a low wind speed.

The invention is that of a Hamburg-based company SkySails GmbH & Co.

“The maiden voyage marks the beginning of the practical testing during regular shipping operations of the SkySails-System. During the next few months we will finally be able to prove that our technology works in practice und significantly reduces fuel consumption and emissions,” says Stephan Wrage, Managing Director, SkySails.

Parallel and in addition to the practical tests on the MS “Beluga SkySails”, the SkySails technology is advanced and optimized for series production readiness on further ships.

Stephan Brabeck, Technical Manager at SkySails: “Certainly, the daily routine at sea will still bear many challenges for SkySails. It is thus now particularly important to raise the manageability and robustness of the system to the level demanded by our customers. We will have to face up to many challenges and in the process learn many very valuable lessons.”

The shipping company and the manufacturer calculate that by using the towing kite system, a ship’s average annual fuel costs can be reduced by between 10% and 35%, depending on the prevailing wind conditions. Under optimal wind conditions, SkySails estimates that fuel consumption can sometimes be cut by up to 50%. The first results are to be expected in the next few months.

“Interest in the SkySails technology among shipping companies from all over the world was already high before, but especially during the last year and in light of the rising oil prices it has increased considerably,” states founder of the company Stephan Wrage.

They hope the state-of-the-art kite will help reduce carbon dioxide emissions, as it tugs the ship.Fuel burnt by ships accounts for 4% of global CO2 emissions - twice as much as the aviation industry produces.
  15. brian eiland

First Voyage Completed

The First MS Beluga SkySails Voyage

On January 22, for the first time since the masts of major shipping vessels fell to steam and diesel power, the line laid out and the kite unfurled in the gusty winds of the North Sea on the 10,000 ton, 133 meter MS Beluga SkySails.

Two weeks later, on February 5, the MS Beluga SkySails safely arrived in Venezuela with its cargo of an entire particle board factory completely intact with reported fuel savings of approximately 10 to 15 percent-- about $1,500 per day.

Those saving came from their 160 sq. meter kite. And according to SkySails, later on this year they will have a 320 sq. meter kite that will offer 50% savings in proper conditions.

From there they plan on building a 600 sq meter kite that should provide enough energy to cut 10 tons of diesel per day and cut $6,000 out of voyage costs.

Multiply that by the 97,000 merchant vessels in operation, and you’re looking at an overall cost savings of about $582 million, or 970,000 tons of diesel every day.

The current model of SkySail covers an area of 160 meters and is attached by line to a winch on the bow. And without a mast to contend with, not only is deck space spared for cargo, the sail is not restricted to low level winds close to the ocean's surface.

According to SkySails, wind speed at 100 meters up can be up to 20% higher than wind at 10 meters. In short, the kite can sail to where the wind is a blowin'.

The sail is also controlled by special computers that sense the wind speed and adjusts foils in the kite, directing it in large swooping figure eights. With whip like momentum it generates approximately 6,800 extra horse power.
  16. brian eiland

http://www.skysails.info/index.php?i...ash=db100ad2b6

Hamburg / Mo-I-Rana, 14 March 2008. “We can once again actually ‘sail’ with cargo ships, thus opening a new chapter in the history of commercial shipping,“ was the verdict from Captain Lutz Heldt following his return from the nearly two-month maiden voyage of the multi-purpose heavy-lift project carrier “Beluga SkySails”, which sailed from Germany to Venezuela, the United States and Norway. In even moderate winds, the first flights of an initial 160-square-meter towing kite propulsion system from the Hamburg-based manufacturer SkySails demonstrated how this innovative auxiliary propulsion system was able to substitute for 20% of the engine’s power. “With that we impressively validated the original expectations we had for the system“, was how SkySails managing director Stephan Wrage (35) assessed the first practical trials aboard the Beluga ship. “In the future, depending on the route and weather conditions, we’ll be able to post fuel savings of between 10% and 35% using wind power.” The “Beluga SkySails” set sail to Venezuela from Bremen on 22 January and reached the Norwegian port of Mo-I-Rana on 13 March 2008 after travelling a total of 11,952 nautical miles. The testing of the SkySails-System on board the ship newbuilding MV “Beluga SkySails” to be equipped with this innovative technology is being co-funded with some 1.2 million euros as part of the European Union’s “LIFE” program.

“The MV ´Beluga SkySails’ maiden voyage is proof in motion of a new kind of hybrid drive on the water that simultaneously reduces both voyage costs and climate-damaging emissions,“ said Niels Stolberg (47), the president and CEO of the Bremen-based project and heavy-lift cargo shipping company Beluga Shipping.

“The initial focus during the first half of what is set to be an approximately 12-months pilot testing phase aboard the “Beluga SkySails” is on calibration work and adjustments to stabilize the towing kite propulsion,” reported Stephan Brabeck (46), the technical director of SkySails, adding how “in the second half the flight times will be extended and the performance perfected.” On numerous days during the maiden voyage the system was put in action for periods of between a few minutes and up to eight hours. During that time the SkySails-System pulled the ship with up to 5 tons of power at force 5 winds, which when compared to the engine output represents a relief of more than 20%. Projected onto an entire day, this performance by the “Beluga SkySails” represents savings of about 2.5 tons of fuel and more than $1,000 a day.

Captain Lutz Heldt (57) is impressed with the first flights of the 160 square-meter SkySails aboard the MV “Beluga SkySails”. After the pilot phase the towing kite will be replaced by one that is twice the size, delivering double the amount of energy and which will save two times as much fuel and climate-damaging emissions. Beluga Shipping GmbH in Bremen expects a drop in bunker costs of approximately $2,000 per operating day. The shipping company will be giving part of these savings – 20 percent – directly to the crew as an incentive. Kites with a sail surface of up to 600 square meters will be used on two larger Beluga P-Series carriers that are to be outfitted with SkySails-Systems in the future. Currently under construction, each vessel will have 20,000 tons deadweight and on-board cranes with a lifting capacity of 800 to 1,400 tons.

The WINTECC project
    The goal of the WINTECC (WINd propulsion TEChnology for Cargo vessels) project, which is partly funded by the EU as part of its “LIFE“ program, is to measure the savings in energy and CO2 that can be achieved with the help of an innovative propulsion technology. “By cofunding this undertaking we want to set a clear signal for climate relevant technologies of the future. And we are delighted that the SkySails technology offers such an enormous global potential for savings“, commented Paul F. Nemitz, deputy head of the European Commission’s Maritime Policy Task Force, about promoting the project. The EU is contributing 1.2 million euros of the project’s total budget of 4 million euros as part of its “LIFE” program. Also taking part in the undertaking besides Beluga Fleet Management GmbH & Co. KG in Bremen and the manufacturer SkySails from Hamburg are the companies OceanWaveS in Lüneburg and ALDEBARAN in Hamburg. (Demonstration of an Innovative Wind Propulsion Technology for Cargo Vessels, Project Number: LIFE06 ENV/D/000479)
  17. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

It's good to see that the technologies are being advanced and proven. Perhaps 150buck a bbl oil will provide these developments further acceleration. Exciting times.

Brian, there is an upside to your "Perfect Storm".
  18. brian eiland

Interesting Blog Submission

Smoother sailing on kite-and-diesel hybrid ships

From sails to steam to diesel – and back to sails. That’s what some innovative shipping companies advocate to clean up the polluting cocktail of smokestack spew from tankers and yachts. As a proof of concept, this week the MV Beluga SkySails, a ship outfitted with a 160-square-meter kite, finished a breezy voyage from Germany to Venezuela, the United States and Norway, powered in part by wind across 11,952 nautical miles.

The Beluga SkySails system uses software that charts a course to find the best wind conditions, and compressed air to change the angle of the kite to match different wind speeds and weather. The European Union-funded company’s chief executive expects to see fuel savings of 10 to 35 percent using wind power, depending on the route. To achieve further increases, the company expects to move to a larger sail of about 320 square meters later in 2008.

Kites are more than just a gimmick; simple as they may be, they’re a legitimate avenue of research, along with investigations into speed reductions, the potential to switch to less harmful fuels from diesel, and the elimination of drag. For example, in 2005 a shipping company unveiled its “concept car carrier” – alas, not the platform upon which all concept cars are shuttled around to motor shows, but rather a zero-emissions, solar/wind/fuel-cell-powered tanker called the E/S Orcelle. But before that vessel makes it out into the open waters, we’ll more likely see ships run on gas, probably with sleeker profiles and improvements in propeller design. Consider, for example, a company called PAX Scientific that designs biomimetic, spiral-shaped turbines that could help ships cut through water more smoothly, improving their fuel efficiency by about 10 percent.

It remains to be seen whether retrofitting sails to tankers will catch on, but Skysails estimates the potential upgrade market for its system at more than 40,000 ships. Through 2013, Skysails is targeting less than 1% of that market—about 400 ships.

A key part of the success of sails will depend on incorporating satellite predictions and long-range weather forecasts to help chart courses that are energy-efficient without sacrificing much on speed. Past efforts to launch kite-based ship propulsion have floundered due to the unpredictability of wind conditions.

And there’s definitely room for improvement in long-distance shipping. A 2003 University of Delaware study found that the world shipping fleet consumes about 289 million tons of fuel each year, of course accompanied by a gargantuan emissions profile. According to Geotimes, “the world’s fleet of cargo ships, fueled by refinery leftovers — black sludge that’s cheaper and thicker than crude oil — emits more carbon dioxide than the world’s fleet of airplanes.”

...from a blog "Plenty" green magazine
  19. brian eiland

20. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.