Click for Mulder Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mag Bay Click for Abeking

Mercury Outboard Powered 65' Motoryacht (no joke!)

Discussion in 'Popular Yacht Topics' started by YachtForums, Jul 12, 2011.

1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Mercury Outboard Powered 65' Motoryacht
    McGyver Approved!

These pictures were taken by YF member "YachtJockey", who is too busy at the yard to upload pics. The photos were taken at Cable Marine. It is a 65' flybridge motoryacht with triple Mercury 2.5 outboards. The engines were mounted to a bracket that was bolted to the swim platform. Why, you might ask? To get the boat back to Texas (from Florida). Note the cylindrical fuel tank strapped to the aft deck. The hoses and control cables can be seen dangling over the fly bridge, leading to the transom.

Attached Files:

2. YachtForums

The story is… the boat belongs to a yard owner from Texas, who ran the boat aground and ripped out the running gear. Not wanting to pay a yard in Florida to repair the boat because he owns a yard in Texas, he patched the hull, strapped on a trio of Mercs that previously powered his go-fast boat, had winglets made for directional stability, then installed a thruster for added control. All this to bring his boat back to Texas. Leave it the longhorn state to devise a new way to longhaul!

Attached Files:

3. YachtForums

You gotta love this... complete with Power Lift transom brackets and what appears to be a Mayfair hydraulic steering system too! Obviously all this was scavenged from his go-fast. Based on the raised Merc 2.5 at center, this configuration came off a cat, but the props were changed to thru-hub.

Attached Files:

4. YachtForums

Here's a shot of the winglets that were bolted on to for tracking. Why winglets? Because the gearcases on those Mercs don't sit low enough to add any directional stability. They appear to be 15" midsections (shorties), definitely off a catamaran. Notice the zinc? First class installation! Behind the winglet is the thruster tube. I'd love to buy motoryachting's "McGyver" a drink!

Attached Files:

5. meblom

meblom New Member

That's a lot of trouble to go through...

...and alot of holes/backing plates drilled into the hull.

Looks like it might be an older Azimut.

Just when you think you've seen it all...
  6. Yachtjocky

Yachtjocky Senior Member

65 Pininfarina, not sure of the year
  7. YachtForums

Image bookmark...

Attached Files:

8. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

This boat was named "Bella Veloce". Boat was run aground in the Bahamas, totaled and the salvage sold to new owner who created this contraption. Boat was a mess, rudders pushed through the hull and deck, stringers broken from beating against the rocks, etc, this is just the icing on the cake!
  9. meblom

meblom New Member

I don't know that I'd want to carry the amount of gasoline that it would take to push that boat from point to point, on its return trip to Texas.

That's a lot of explosive power, strapped to the aft deck...
  10. YachtForums

Yes, but 2.5 race Merc's will grenade faster than that tank. That 2.5 decal isn't a measure of litres. It's the life expectancy of those motors... in hours! ;)

(I'm a 20 year veteran of Mercury's guinea-pig consumer program)
  11. Chevelle

Chevelle New Member

That. Is. Awesome. Any bets on how far it goes?
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Before she blows sky high? What marina would let that thing even come near. He better stay clear of anything military or considered a potential terrorism target.
  13. YachtForums

Ed, you have always made fair and equitable posts, but how do you arrive at such a conclusion? Just because the tank is mounted externally doesn't make it any less safe than a tank in the bilge. If anything, it's sitting in a well-ventilated place, far away from anything that resembles combustion.
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Oh, I have to assume, or at least I hope, that a yard owner would make sure it's safe, but it looks like a floating bomb. Then again, for what anybody enroute would know, maybe it was slapped together by some yahoo. Would you really feel comfortable finding that in the slip next to your boat? That looks like at least 500 gallons of gasoline. Are there blowers? That cockpit could collect fumes. How secure are the supports? If they hit rough seas, could it shift and maybe click against some metal part? Gas tank designs on boats are regulated. Has that been inspected by any safty agency? If he did it because he didn't want to pay Florida prices, how many shortcuts did he take to save money? Finally, if he wants the work done it Texas, why not just tow it there?
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The tank is perfectly fine by USCG regulations being mounted in the open like that as long as the tank itself is approved. No blowers are needed on an open cockpit.

What the genius that concocted this mess doesn't realize that those engines will be slurping about 75gph total to push that boat at hull speed and they'll have a range of about 75 miles with only 500 gallons of fuel. Not enough to make Texes. They should've put a sail on it instead!

The story from someone in the know, is the owner of the Azimut does have a yard in Texas, he felt Cable's prices were too expensive and it could be done cheaper at his yard. He then felt the price of putting it on a barge was too expensive. He dismantled his 35' manta I think CC (or something similar) and took the motors, brackets, and such and bolted them to the back of the Azimut. they ALSO removed the Center Console and bolted the entire thing to the Azimut flybridge, and plan to run this thing back to Texas. Little does the guy know, it's probably going to take $200k in fuel to get it there....
  16. YachtForums

I doubt these motors were on a large center console. They would need to be at least 25" midsections. The mids pictured are 15" shorties, which are made specifically for low-draft, high speed apps. It's reasonable to assume these motors came off a cat.
  17. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

As I look at this after a nights sleep I come up with a couple of questions, if anybody knows. Is that metal tank sitting, and not welded or bolted to, a metal frame? Are those straps the only thing keeping that in place? Even if that tank itself is approved, is it approved for that application? And finally, is the a Marine catagory for the Rube Golberg award? If so, I think we have a winner. Oh yeah, one more. Would any captain here be willing to take the job of running that thing from Florida to Texas?
  18. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

From someone who openly admits to drinking bilge water your worry about a bit of gas stored outside is admirable
  19. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

It's a portable tank on an outboard powered boat.
  20. YachtForums

Exactly. NYCapt, did you never run a Whaler as a kid???