Click for JetForums Click for Glendinning Click for Delta Click for Mulder Click for Westport

Marquis 59 School?

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by John T., May 13, 2007.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. John T.

John T. New Member

My father just purchased a Marquis 59 and although he intends to have a captain operate it when he uses it, I would like to be able to take it out myself, sans captain. I have grown up with boats all of my nearly 40 years but never have operated one quite this large (40 is the biggest I have handled). Is there somewhere that I could go to take a course on operating a vessel of this size? I would like some formal training if possible. Alternatively, should I just hire the captain for a few days and have him show me the ropes? I would love to thear from some folks who have done this before. Thanks!
  2. Most new boat dealers have a staff that will train the new owners to use their boats and this service is usually free to the new owner.
    These teaching captains are often available to be hired on their off time to give lessons, check with the dealer.
    There is a school in Stuart, FL called The Chapman School of Seamanship that has courses and own boats for training, you might check with them. I doubt if they have any training boats in that size however.
    Tucker Fallon
  3. JohnnyBoy

JohnnyBoy New Member

Carver 57'

Hi! I purchased a Carver 57 2004 about 6 months ago...this is my first boat. Part of the purchase deal included some time with a pro behind the helm. I spent one hour...Gotta be honest here...it is ALL common sense...with Carver's electronic controls, just use your shoulders to dictate the position of the boat...right shoulder forward (right control forward) boat turns left... and so on...

Do EVERYTHING slowly on these big guys and you'll be fine...yes...even in wind. It's the guys who are racing to the dock and over controlling that get into a bind...if you're in a rush, then get off the water.......enjoy.
  4. walteo

walteo New Member

Try Capt. Ric Corley out of Panama City. 850-784-9939.
  5. CaptainJC

CaptainJC New Member

I would be happy to help you out , I live in pensacola and do a lot of orientation , day trips, and deliveries on yachts of that size.
    Captain Jeremy Cox 850-255-7152
    ps. Did your Dad buy it from Galati?