Click for Furuno Click for Walker Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn

Manual bilge pump maintenance schedule

Discussion in 'Props, Shafts & Seals' started by Capt Ralph, Nov 19, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Jabsco 6590
    5 screw cover
    2 1/2" deep impeller
    Emergency manual engaged bilge pump
    20211110_150301a.jpg
    I used to flood the ER bilge a little and engage the pump to let it do at least something than just sit.
    Stopped that over 15 years ago when I started a bone dry bilge (pipe) dream.

Then I serviced the pump with new bearings, seal, impeller & belt. Packed it with many packs of pump pre-lube*.

Then it sat for few years.

Engaged the pump for a few seconds and then replaced the unused (some set) impeller a few years later and packed it with a bunch of pump pre-lube.

Then it sat for a few more years.

Engaged the pump for a few seconds and then replaced the unused (some set) impeller a few years ago and packed it with a bunch of pump pre-lube again. Maybe a new belt went on.

So, Now I'm crawling around the engine room fixing oil leaks (Detroits) and checking things.
    Belt still looks great.
    Do I mess with the un-used crashed pump??

*(Those lil packs of water soluble pre-lube that comes with most impeller kits but is never used, but kept any way).
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  2. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Pretty much the same pump that 471s use for seawater cooling side.
    Mine are 7200.
    Of course mine are turning all the time.
    Just replaced both . Accidentally ran one till it blew apart. And the other was original 40 year old unit didn’t bother to rebuild.

anyway to your post yes I would run it turn them by hand first if you can pull the cover off and see what it looks like on the inside before you run it.