Click for Westport Click for Walker Privacy Matters Click for YF Listing Service Click for JetForums

Man Diesel 2940LE403

Discussion in 'Engines' started by clovehitch, Dec 11, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. clovehitch

clovehitch Member

Can anyone tell me if the 2940LE403 has any issues I should be aware of. I will be looking for a complete list of service records and any updates preformed on them. Looking at a 2000 Viking having 2600 hours. I welcome any suggestions, recommendations. Thank you in advance.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The first thing you need to do, Find a real MAN shop, Go talk to them.
    Ask around the dock who works on their MAN stuff.
    If you don't like them, go talk to another real MAN shop.
    But you will need a REAL MAN shop to talk to, work with and who does not drag their feet when you call with an issue.

Then, have that real MAN shop survey the engines well.
    Get an estimate what it will cost to bring the engines up to correct standards while he is there.
    Your going to need this when countering the selling price.

IMO, If the seller does not have logs, records, receipts; it didn't happen.
    MAN engines have a service schedule.
    MAN service can get expensive and many owners do not get it done.

I bring all this up; There is not a good MAN shop in my area. Heavy MAN service comes from way out of town.
    There are some pukes that will work on them around here but there is not much nice to say about them.

IMO, MAN engines are great. It will be your support that makes/breaks that greatness for you.
    Heat exchanger service is pretty critical on these also.

When you do some searches here on YF about that V10, you will feel good.

Also, boat sounds familiar, Search YF for MAN Viking also.
  3. clovehitch

clovehitch Member

Capt. Ralph,

Thank you for your response. I agree that if there are no verified service records, logs or receipts then the service was not performed. Some of my initial concern is with the Turbos, Aftercoolers and Heat Exchangers. Do you know of any issues I should be aware of with these engines if all recommended service was performed with logs and receipts supporting the service.

There are very few MAN technicians in my area but I have found a service who state they do MAN engine service and repairs. I'll keep searching for a MAN certified dealer/service yard. I have read some owners were satisfied with their V10s and they maintain service as recommended. I'll continue my search.
  4. mapism

mapism Senior Member

+1 to everything CR already said, with an additional warning.

The 1050hp D2840LE403 (not 2940) is one of the few "transition" MAN engines, which is neither mechanical (as was the LE401, much more popular but only good for 820hp from the very same V10 block), nor fully electronic with common rail (as was the 1100hp LE423, the last development of the V10 block before they phased it out completely).
    This makes the LE403 it a bit of an "orphan" engine, because its electronic governor was only adopted for a few years, before MAN fully jumped on the common rail bandwagon.
    Consequently, even among MAN dealers, it's easier to find either "old school" guys who know the mechanical engines like the back of their hand, or the new generation of (usually) younger mechanics familiar with all the electronic gizmos, but mostly focused on common rail engines.
    So, what you should look for is not only someone familiar with MANs, but also with this particular engines family, so-called EDC in MAN jargon (as opposed to CRM, which are the much more widespread common rail, still in production today).

BUT, I believe the peculiarities of of these EDC engines are only in their specific, short-lived electronic management.
    Which is good news, because AFAIK the other parts - like the turbos, CAC and HE that you mention - are much different from other models, and therefore they should be very well known to any MAN mechanic.
    clovehitch and Capt Ralph like this.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

There is nothing that jumps out like an "Achilles Heel" to me on any MAN engine. That is not to say they may have personality.
    Proper maintenance is the only way to stay on top and harness the MAN engine.
    A false MAN tech is your "Achilles Heel".
    Any good tech can change oil and clear debris from a cooler. Be aware, there are some that can not do that.

Do me a favor, contact Performance Diesel, ask them who is their preferred shop is in your area.
    These kids installed most factory engines and covered their warranties. This is a good start.
    https://www.performancediesel.com/
    clovehitch likes this.
  6. Lunderic

Lunderic Member

I went through a similar process a couple years ago. MAN dealer was a great asset prior to and after the purchase. I had an impartial set of receipts and records. They gave an accurate appraisal and estimate to bring them up to current spec on maintenance which helped to negotiate a fair price. Anyway, a couple of years later they have been totally reliable. I have mechanical 2840's but have been very happy. They are relatively quiet, fairly efficient and completely reliable so far. I'm not sure where the boat you're looking at is located but I had great luck with Bayside Diesel in Mystic, CT. I keep the boat on Long Island. Good luck and keep us posted.
    clovehitch and Capt Ralph like this.
  7. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Sorry, correction of my previous post, where the bit in red got lost in typing... :)
    clovehitch likes this.
  8. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

I am one of the satisfied MAN V10 owners. Mine are the 820s. The 1050s are not as highly regarded as the 820s. My boat is a 95 and I have rebuilt the turbos once. I have replaced one intercooler core (small leak). In the past Ace Marine out of Florida would serve Bluewater in the lower bay. They would come to Hampton every other week or something like that.
    clovehitch likes this.
  9. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Out of curiosity, at which age and hours clocked approximately, if you don't mind me asking?
  10. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

If you are in the upper Chesapeake, two MAN service providers are Hild's Marine and Shore Power.

Hild's is the one we've been using, very satisfied. Will founded, young Ben has done almost all of our work.

Don't know much about Shore Power.

Gulf Coast Diesel in FL did our survey/sea trial and then rehab work at Ft. Myers; pleased with them, too.

-Chris
  11. clovehitch

clovehitch Member

Thank you all for your responses. You have supplied me with a lot of good information and I appreciate this.
    If all goes well she will be kept in the Upper Chesapeake Bay. The vessel is a 2000 Sport Yacht. Listing states it has 2940LE403, 1050hp engines with 2600 hours. I believe they may be 2840LE403's.

I will be contacting Performance Diesel to see if they can provide a list of certified techs in a yard in the Chesapeake Bay region. I will also be checking with Hild's Marine and Shore Power.

Thanks again.
  12. mapism

mapism Senior Member

I can assure you that they are the latter, because the former never existed! :)

OTOH, the listing mistake makes it very easy to google for the boat...
    ...Which as far as can be said from the photos, looks very well maintained indeed, e/r included.

All the very best for a satisfactory finalization of the deal!

PS: by the way, my question which you quoted was actually addressed to what motoryachtlover said of the turbos in his '95 boat...
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2023
  13. motoryachtlover

I don’t mind you asking. I would estimate the turbos were rebuilt in and around 2018 which would make them 23 years old at that point. They needed rebuilding, the clearance between the blades and the housing was out of spec.
  14. mapism

mapism Senior Member

I see, thanks.
    Can you recall also the running hours (ballpark) they had clocked by then?
    Besides, how did you notice the problem, have you got turbo pressure gauges?
    Or was the performance noticeably affected?
    Thanks again, it's very nice to have an idea of what I might expect in a few years also in my boat...! :)
  15. motoryachtlover

I would estimate the hours to have been approximately 1800. I was noticing more soot on the transom and at the next service the mechanic recommended rebuilding them. With the rebuilt turbos the improvement in time to plane was significant. Otherwise I would say it was only in contrast that I noted the difference. I can’t remember if I had the boost gauges installed then. I will look to see if I have any pictures of the turbos.
    mapism likes this.
  16. clovehitch

clovehitch Member

As a follow up, The current vessel owner has owned the boat for a short period of time and has very little service records or logs from the previous owner. If I proceed with this vessel I will have a certified tech complete a full engine survey as well. I am going to pause on this while continuing look for mid to late 90's 54' or 60' Sport MY.
    Thank you to all who have responded to my questions.
  17. motoryachtlover

I have owned a 95 54 Viking Sport Yacht since 2007 so if you have any questions feel free to PM me. Good luck in your search.