Click for Abeking Click for Delta Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service

Making that old vinyl bright white again

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Scallywag2, Jun 6, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Scallywag2

Scallywag2 New Member

My vinyl around the cockpit is weathered a bit. I am protecting it, but does anyone have 'bright' ideas about how to restore some of the whiteness and brightness?
  2. Maybe Knot

Maybe Knot Member

My upholstery is white, and I have the same problem. A detail guy at the marina says to use "scrubbing bubbles". Spray on, wipe off. he says on trouble spots, to use a brush. I haven't tried this yet, so I don't know if it works. Just passing along what I was told.
  3. Scallywag2

Scallywag2 New Member

Thank you Maybe Knot. I'll give it a try.
  4. seldomdry

seldomdry Member

I have used Starbrite Black Streak remover. It works great.
  5. Scallywag2

Scallywag2 New Member

Thanks SeldomDry. I have some now and will try this weekend (along with scrubbing bubbles suggestion.)
  6. Maxwell

Maxwell Senior Member

I've had good luck with "Babes Boat Care Products". I used the "seat soap" with a soft bristle brush to scrub then wiped with a micro fiber. Followed by the "seat saver" to protect. The products don't seem nearly as harsh as household cleaners and leave the boat smelling great.

max
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Rolloff and a magic eraser.
  8. Scallywag2

Scallywag2 New Member

Thx Maxwell and CaptJ. I'll be trying a few of these suggestions this weekend.
  9. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

Laugh if you will but my wife tried Avon bubble bath in a little water. To my surprise, it brightened up the white vinyl and even cleaned the dirt in the stitching. Now she uses it everywhere on the boat! It has literally dozens of uses. Find someone who sells Avon and give it a try.
  10. Scallywag2

Scallywag2 New Member

Bubblebath. Can't go wrong there!
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Whatever you do, stay away from products with Bleach in them as the Bleach will eat all of the stitching.
  12. captholli

captholli Senior Member

I've used a mixture of 80 percent "Tuff N Uff" to 20 percent scrubbing bubbles and it cleans up like like new on my center consoles bolsters and leaning post.
    I have White cushions and for really bad spots of mold I'll use a concentrate of
    Baking soda and Wesleys bleach white but as was mentioned earlier the bleach will have collateral damage if you don't control it. It seems that any oxidizer
    Such as S. Bubbles and Oxi clean works the best when combined with a heavy duty water based surfactant / degreaser.