Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for JetForums Click for Northern Lights Click for Ocean Alexander

Maintenance Costs

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Dmbrown34, Apr 25, 2007.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Dmbrown34

Dmbrown34 New Member

Hi everyone,

I have been looking to purchase my first yacht. I have chartered a few on weekends a looking at a '90 36' Carver. Twin 7.4 Mercs with low hours.

Ive talked with the dock and understand those costs, but can not find good information how how much maintenance runs. I dive regularly, so I'll take care of the monthly scrubs and stuff.

But Im more concerned about all the electronics. What should I honestly expect to have to repair/replace. Oil changes and engine basics, I can handle along with basic car on the deck. Im more concerned about the electronics.

I believe I should also expect to have her taken out once every 2 years for a hull coating. Anything else that I should know of?
  2. RamSport47

RamSport47 New Member

Electronics would be a major concern. If they are original, take them out and throw them away. Replace with new Raymarine or Furuno (I like Raymarine...easy to use and understand). Oil changes will vary per yard, and if they use genuine Mercruiser filters and oil (my company only uses OEM stuff regardless of manufacturer). Also, before you buy, have it and the engines checked for salt water corrosion, you could be buying one big repair bill!