Click for Walker Click for Mulder Click for Furuno Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service

Mainship Pilot 34

Discussion in 'General Trawler Discussion' started by talkingstone, Sep 16, 2004.

1. talkingstone

talkingstone New Member

Looking for information on Mainship Pilot 34.

I know it's only 34' but I could sure use some input since I'm about to purchase one. I would like to know if any of the guys or gals that visit this great site have had any experience with this boat or Mainship. I would appreciated hearing from you about any positive or negative experiences you may have had.

Allan(Talkingstone) B.C. Canada
    saltspringcruising@telus.net
  2. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

That was a scathing report on the 31' Mainship. Keep in mind, Pascoe's views have been somewhat contraversial in the past. In some cases, he raises valid points that others may have over-looked. In other circumstances, he's way-off (in my personal opinion).

The 31' Mainship reviewed was not a new vessel and there is no way to know what abuse it has been subected to. However, his review of the same raises some very valid points about the construction techniques, materials and planning used on this particular model.

There have been other reviews by Pascoe where he has attacked certain manufacturers with a vendetta only reserved for a scorned woman. In those cases, I believe there is more at stake than his general observations. While I'm sure he's examined many more boats than most of us, his findings in some cases are the exception to the rule.

Specifically, he's eluded to problems he's found on a particular line of well known boats. In this case, I happened to be intimately familiar with this line and several of my friends have owned them as well. None of us experienced ANY of the problems Pascoe pointed out. To this day, I still approach owners of these boats and inquire about their experience and not one of them has mentioned anything related to Pascoe's claims.

I'm all about playing Devil's Advocate. Heck, I'm an engineer by education AND genetic composition. I encourage the viewpoint and experience of others because I can ALWAYS learn from them.

In Pascoe's case... I take it with a grain of salt. I'm not alone in my opinion either. There are a number of people in the industry (not builders) that agree. I can rattle off several magazine editors that scoff at Pascoe's findings.

Remember... he's not publishing these reviews to be the marine equivent of Ralph Nader. He's a surveyor and his website is a marketing tool. It is not my intention to discredit Pascoe. Again, he has alot of experience and he's spot-on with many of his findings.

I'm only expressing my personal opinion... that I don't always agree with him.
  4. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

What I've found....

..., is that if he doesnt do it, NOBODY else will.
    Sure he's only 95% correct and goes off on tangents.
    But if it's UNBIASED and educated analysis you want (you do want this dont you?) - you will not find it in the boating magazines that depend on advertising dollars from the very boat manufacturers whose boats they pretend to "review".
    Kinda like the WMDs in Iraq story I dealt with here in Washington DC.
    "Speak truth to power" (at your own risk).
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2004
  5. Packinair

Packinair New Member

a good friend of mine has one here in toledo.. I have spent ALOT of time on it inluding 2 weeks up in the north channel. it is a single yanmar with bow thusters. The boat in my opinion is a great boat, however it does not have the fit and finish of a tiara or some of the other highend boats, but then again it is 100k less. but is still a very nice boat.I crossed huron in 8-10' and it did really well for a 34', I was really suprised. it is also pretty friendly around the marinas with the thrusters for a single screw one you get the hang of it. all in all I am impressed with the boat and he has had very little problems (other than letting me take it and running it aground)(twice)and a ton of hours. here are some pics I took on 1 of the trips with it here
  6. Mad Dog

Mad Dog New Member

I recently bought a 2000 34 pilot..to find a leak in the water tank...Does anyone have any suggestions? It seems to be almost impossible to fix.
  7. Mad Dog

Mad Dog New Member

Good to hear positive news about the 34 which I just purchased. After I iron out a few kinks I'll enjoy mine as well.
  8. Ed Cooper

Ed Cooper New Member

Just bought 1 and the boat was well kept twin 4 cyl Yanmar 650 hrs . No bells and whistles, easy to park, really easy. Have it in the yard getting bottom painted and installing dripless bearings, 2002 always lived on a lift. Looking forward to the summer

Chesapeake Bay
    Addi B
    Mainship Pilot 34