Click for Perko Click for JetForums Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking

Main Circuit Panel on 1985 Ocean Yacht 38SS

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Dennis Jones, Jul 12, 2024.

1. Dennis Jones

Dennis Jones New Member

So, I am installing an induction cooktop stove on our Ocean and read in the Use and Care Guide that the minimum circuit breaker Amperage should be 20. I was under the impression that existing breakers on the AC side of panel are 15 Amp breakers (and could be wrong about that), so am not sure if I can simply replace the 15 Amp breaker with a 20 Amp breaker to meet the requirements in the Guide. If so, would appreciate recommendations on replacement breakers since Home Depot might not be the best option.

Your insights and expertise would be appreciated.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Wire size, length of wire, type of wire, how it is bundled, path it runs and more determine the size breaker you can install.
    Your BuBa down the street at home depot can not answer this either.
    ABYC, CFR and many other codes spell it out.
    Cover your asp and find a real surveyor to inspect the installation and offer advice.
    If a claim ever happens, you will be covered by your insurance that it was done correctly.

I read constantly about fires on board lil boats.
    Wire nuts started one last week down river from us.
    After many years servicing boats, I have sadly witnessed lots of Darwin candidates wire up things.

Do it correctly and sleep well.