Click for Abeking Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Furuno Click for YF Listing Service Click for Northern Lights

Luhrs 290 (1997)

Discussion in 'Luhrs Yacht' started by JoanthanC, May 11, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. JoanthanC

JoanthanC New Member

I’ve been doing a lot of reading and research about the Luhrs 29 and 290. The topic I’ve been reading up on is the listing or “keeling” over at about 24 mph. The one area I cannot get a specific decision on is what years?

From what I gathered it's an issue on all years of the 29 and 290's?

Does anyone here have some first hand information: good or bad on this situation and is there a solution to it?

The boat we are looking at is a 1997 Tournament 290 with small block 350’s.

Thanks,
    Jonathan
    California
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I don't see how that's possible unless someone gets too ambitious with the trim tabs. I've run several boats that track very well, and the result is that you can steer the boat well with just the tabs but giving too much tab can surprise the helmsman. If it were a constant list I'd say add ballast, but just at high speed just be gentle with the tabs.
  3. JoanthanC

JoanthanC New Member

Thank You NYCAP123 for your insights.

From what I've read the users who've experienced it say the side of hull wants come up on plane. I'm not great with how the dynamics of a hulls works so I'm unsure of the explanation.
    JC
  4. Robert Page

Robert Page New Member

THT is full of bad info. I run a 2002 290 Open. I tracks well at up 28 knots at 3800 rpm on the Yanmar 315s. After some damage to my tabs by hurricane Sally, I discovered that Luhrs used an OEM version of the trim tab actuators and confirmed this with Bennett. They retract the piston fully into the actuator instead of 1" extension at fully retracted and extend 3.5" instead of the standard 2.5". This yields about 2.5" of extension from the pocketed tab full closed position. I suspect many of those so called squirrelly boats may have had a typical 2.5" actuator installed as a repair by an uninformed mechanic.

As NYCAP123 says, be careful with the tabs at high speed, she reacts fast!

Rob
    2002 Luhrs 290 Open "Tres Leos" 6LPA-STP Yanmars
    1986 Tiara 3600 Continental "Southern Exposure" 7.4L Crusaders
  5. JoanthanC

JoanthanC New Member

Robert-
    Thank you for the reply. This is the type of technical explanation I've been searching for. A few people felt it was a trim tab issue, but could not identify why.

Just to clarify, the correct trim tabs should have the 1" extension and extend 3.5" at full retraction?

Thanks again.
    Jonathan
  6. Robert Page

Robert Page New Member

These are Bennett classic V351 hydraulic trim tabs. I am still not positive this is the actual actuator part number. I had one actuator that would fully retract into the cylinder (about 1/2" of the piston with the hinge pin hole showing is all that extends) and extend 3.5" and one that seemed to be a standard actuator with the upper spacer removed, but only extending 2.5". I removed the spacer in upper hinge ends to insure the trim tabs pulled up tight against the hull pocket edges even though it appeared 1" would be correct because one spacer had obviously been cut about to 1". I cut the 4.5" bottom sleeve to 3.5" on the one with the long spacer, making it meet the specs below. Here is what I noted in my maintenance book:

Recommended to use SA-2110A for 3.5" stroke. The SA2110A actuators are special in that they have 3-1/2" of stoke (1" more than the standard A1101A's), but to gain this extra stroke the Upper Hinge Spacer has to be modified by cutting it down to one inch. This also reduces the overall length of the actuators by one inch too, so they are 12-3/4" overall while the standard length is 13-3/4". The sleeve in the bottom of the cylinder stops the piston travel downward and protects the spring. The length of this sleeve varies by application. It is ~3.5" in the SA-2110A vs. 4.5" in the standard actuator. This allows the extra 1" stroke.​

These are simple devices. If you do this, get new o-rings for the piston and the upper hinge and replace them while you are in it. Bennett says to put the piston o-ring into the groove the original was removed from, not always the top ring despite instructions to the contrary you may find on the internet. Apparently there were machining tolerances that could be off in the empty groove.

Relay Module RM12​
    Solenoid Valve Green Wire VP1135G
    Solenoid Valve Red Wire VP1135R
    -224 O-Ring (Top Hinge O-Ring) A1120
    -220 O-Ring (Piston O-Ring) A1121
    Long 4 Ring Actuator SA-2118-ARC 2.5" stroke or SA-2110A for 3.5" stroke

Rob

7. JoanthanC

JoanthanC New Member

Rob-
    Such great info. I'm going to print this and keep it in case we end up getting the 290. My wife and I have been talking the past couple of days. We are on the fence about making another offer on this boat or keep looking for a 320 or a Bertram 31 or 33. It's just tough that some of the boats we like are harder to find on the west coast. Also, the market here is still pretty hot (which is why we sold our boat...) which makes it hard.
    Jonathan
  8. Robert Page

Robert Page New Member

Which is why I won't sell the Tiara or the Luhrs! Can't replace them for what I have in them buying on the open market. I am standing by for the big crash to pickup my 45+ convertible. Having the 29 is nice because she is just the right size to day fish. The Tiara is a fine base camp platform.

Rob