Click for Glendinning Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Furuno Click for Cross Click for Mulder

Looking to purchase a 355

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by 79OceanSS, Dec 10, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. 79OceanSS

79OceanSS New Member

Hi Everyone.

What they say about the 2nd best day in a man's life is when he purchases his boat and the 1st best day is when he sells it.... It ain't true! A divorce forced the sale of my 40 Ocean SS five years ago and I've been dry ever since.

Thankfully, I've recovered nicely and the new bride and I want to get back in the water. We really like the layout and design of the 355. I've identified about 20 of them in our market area (mid-atlantic) ranging in price from 54K to 96K. Obviously some are in better shape than others, but for the most part, a very nice selection of 355's are available.

Most have twin Crusaders yet others have Mercruisers. I have experience with Mercruiser I/O's from a Sea Ray I owned and my Ocean had Detroits. I have never had a Crusader. Any feeling out there about which is a better motor? When you're looking at anywhere from 350 to 1300 hours, what kind of maintenance should you expect? How about the systems? A/C? Heat?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. Phillip J

Phillip J Member

I have owned several boats and love the 355. I too have had mercruisers and such but now have crusaders. Strong engine, usually can get 2000 plus without problems, but pushing it past that. I've put over 1300 hours on mine, with a few tuneups and a port side carb rebuild mine are running strong.

good luck
  3. 79OceanSS

79OceanSS New Member

Hi Phillip.

thanks for the reply. It really is a great boat. I think the style is timeless and Carver did an excellent job on the layout. I will say though, I wish they would have made the helm forward like a Cruiser 3560. My Ocean had a bridge with a Captains chair and a chair next to it, then the bench seat forward. I like the layout of the helm forward and a U shaped or L shaped bench seat so you can be right there with guests when on a cruise. What I don't like about the Cruiser is the lack of woodwork on the inside. It is missing the look of the interior of a boat. Way too much plastic and mica.

Anyway, glad to hear about the Crusaders. The amount of hours has a baring on the price for sure(which it should).

What about the systems? AC? Heat? I use a boat all year around.

Ocean.
  4. RB480

RB480 Senior Member

I will add a note on the crusaders. I have almost 900 hours on mine and they run absolutely perfect.

The Crusaders were an upgrade over the Merc power.
  5. 79OceanSS

79OceanSS New Member

Good to know RB. Thanks.
  6. talexander38

talexander38 Member

I have merc's 454's with 1850 hrs them and they'll push the boat to 25 knots fully loaded..I love them.
  7. 79OceanSS

79OceanSS New Member

I had mercs in my Sundancer

TALex,

I had twin mercs in my '86 Sundancer 270 and they were fantastic motors. I had to replace the outdrives, but the motors were strong for sure. They made that boat scream!
  8. adambomb

adambomb Member

I have a 95 355 motoryacht with cruasaders with600hrs on them they purr and have power to put it right on plane the boat is a 41 ft Loa . So you have a big roomy boat mine has 2 ac/ heat system that work great , a battery charger/ inverter combo which is great I can use electric while underway and not have to use generator . I love the boat if you have any questions pm me . Definately go with fuel injected engines , start right up in any condition . Good luck
  9. 79OceanSS

79OceanSS New Member

Thanks Adam

Thanks for the heads up Adam. I'm excited to get a hold of one for sure. I haven't heard a single bad thing about the 355 yet. Everyone seems to really like the boat (both the merc's and the crusaders seem to do real well)