Click for JetForums Click for Mulder Click for Glendinning Click for Walker Click for Cross

Looking to buy a Carver 3207 for SF Bay area

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by bluestar, Feb 10, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. bluestar

bluestar New Member

Looking to buy a Carver 32 for SF Bay area

Hi,

I'm looking at buying an 1985 Carver 32 to mainly cruise around San Francisco Bay, but with occasional excursions out of the Golden Gate into the Pacific Ocean. I think this boat can handle the bay's conditions (up to about 5-8' waves if the wind really blows) without problem, I'm just wondering how this boat might handle in the open ocean.

Appreciate your opinions and tips!

Robert
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I absolutely recommend against taking that boat out in 5' to 8' unless you're talking about gentle swells. Look though some of the threads here concerning Carvers. You'll see what it's good for and what it's not.
  3. bluestar

bluestar New Member

I have read thru the first page of threads and it seems the consensus is Carver yachts are for calmer waters. This line of boats caught my eyes for their spaciousness. Is there a similar cabin cruiser that can handle a west coast voyage? Say from San Francisco to Los Angeles...
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You're talking about a 12-18kt vessel depending on sea conditions, maybe less. Speed costs money and I assume you're looking at this boat with a budget in mind. DK how much experience you have, but if you're going to end up spending most of your time in the bay in calm seas this boat should be fine. But if you're serious about venturing down to LA or going out in less than good conditions I'd ask if you can give up the 18kts. in smooth water. If so I'd recommend looking towards a trawler. I've heard of old 32' & 36' Grand Banks going through 12' nasty seas and getting their owners home safe. If you want speed then I'd think about giving up some of that space and go with an express style like a Wellcraft from that era. For the sea conditions you describe I'd stay away from most bridge style boats in that size and especially from that era. Remember though that this is "pleasure boating" with the emphasis on pleasure. 8' seas are way less than fun on most small boats. The key here is to really determine your cruising style and then pick the appropriate boat. That usually requires compromise in both dream and boat or money.
  5. timjet

timjet Member

Just my opinion but I think some potential boat owners think they need a boat that is comfortable in 10 ft seas and can cross great expanses of ocean. They will soon change their minds when they either purposely or inadvertently get into those conditions.

My one experience in 10 ft seas on a 34 ft sailboat taught me that being in those conditions is really stupid and totally unnecessary and I will never ever do that again on anything less than a cruise ship.
    My 355 Carver has handled 5' seas for an hour or so. The boat did well and I never felt unsafe, but this is not a comfortable ride. Speed varied from 5 to 20 kts depending on which side of the wave I was on. Seat belts would have been nice.

With that being said, many people take their Sea Rays, Bayliners, Carvers, etc over some pretty long distances. I motored from Key West to Marco Island a distance of 90 miles in open water without worry, but with good weather. I plan on doing the Abacos in the Bahamas this summer, but again I'll watch the weather closely prior to doing the crossing from FL.

Tim
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Totally agree, and I think you'll agree there's a BIG difference between going from KW to MI in the southern latitudes and in the lea of the Keys and SF BAY or going from SF to LA with the whole Pacific Ocean facing you. There are miles and then there are miles. A realistic look at your cruising plans is key to choosing a boat.
    Had to laugh with your 5 kt. uphill vs 20 kt. downhill. Been there / done that too many times, and the only laugh comes long after it's survived. The real "fun" comes at the end of the downhill when your bow stops and your stern wants to continue at 20 kts. past you if you don't hit it right.:eek:
  7. talexander38

talexander38 Member

the 3207 in 3 to 4's yes head on, following or at your quarter NO ! the shallow v of if rear hull has no bite and the swim platform lifts it up, My 3607 does the same and it'll work you over using the gas and rudders. has a bay boat here on the Chesapeake Bay it's been fine. only a couple of bad rides..:)
  8. timjet

timjet Member

Agreed. Just pick the boat you will realistic cruise in. No boat will be comfortable in 10 footers, but some will survive, mine probably wouldn't.

Oh and by the way the sea conditions and weather can get pretty nasty even in the Florida Straits not to mention the gulf stream especially with a north wind. The key of course is to watch the weather regardless of your cruising area and be aware of your and the boats limits.
  9. tommyfmu

tommyfmu Member

While we're on the subject, the strangest performance happens on my 32' '96 aft cabin, that maybe someone can explain to me.

Using GPS speedometer, when cruising with the wind and current I can cruise at about 16-17 knots at about 3k rpms on plane. When heading INTO the wind and AGAINST the current, she picks up to about 18-20 knots on plane at the same rpm's. For the life of me can't figure that one out, but it seems consistent. Any theories other than that she loves a challenge?
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Running angle. Running into the seas you've probably dropped you bow down to cut the waves. Generally a more efficient position. Bow down with the wind behind will have you plowing into the backs of the waves.