Click for Perko Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Walker

Looking for Feedback on Azimut 62FB (2004-2007)

Discussion in 'Azimut Yacht' started by Alex F, May 10, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Alex F

Alex F New Member

Greetings all,

I'm looking to purchase Azimut 62FB 2004-2007 and trying to learn more about the model built, and quality. If anyone can share their knowledge, especially on anything alarming, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Alex
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Fasten your seat belt.
  3. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

HAH !
  4. mapism

mapism Senior Member

The reply from olderboater is based on the fact that you are not going to hear a lot of appreciation for Azimut in general, in this forum.
    As I learned here, this is also due to the US distributor not being as helpful as they should.
    Another issue I read about in other threads is related to electrical systems, allegedly different between each boat and difficult to deal with.
    So, stay tuned for alternative suggestions, more than anything else... :)

But as an Italian who knows close to nothing about the US peculiarities, but has seen more Azimuts than I can remember, here's my 2c.
    As a builder in general, they are among the largest and most successful in the whole industry, and I'm not aware of any company in any business which reached a similar position by building garbage.
    They aren't among the top qualitywise, and as a builder they are much more targeted at mainstream, industrialized processes rather than semi-custom build, as some other Italian builders used to offer, particularly back in those days. But they are also priced accordingly.
    The specific boat you are considering has been by far the most popular in Europe in her size bracket, during all the production years.
    Cat-18 powered and on straight shafts, so pretty decent lumps of iron in the engine room, but any owner-operator could appreciate a better accessibility.
    At sea, she wasn't a speed demon, but good for cruising at anything between 20 and 24 kts, topping 30 or so.
    Seakeeping was pretty good for the type of boat, with a variable deadrise hull with semi-tunnels and a deepish V astern (16 or 17 degrees, as I recall).
    Not very beamy vs. her length generally speaking, but Azimut always mastered very well the usage of interior spaces, so you are unlikely to feel her less spacious than any other similar length boats - if anything, the opposite.
    The layout was a strong selling point when the boat was presented, with 3 nice and full headroom cabins, all ensuite, and a rather unusual arrangement where the VIP cabin can access both her own head and also the one of the 3rd cabin. A solution that would be appreciated by your guests, whenever you should have just one couple onboard, who could enjoy separate heads - unheard of in a guest cabin, also at much larger boat size.
    Crew quarters astern are also good enough.
    But I'm not commenting the layout further, because it's the easier thing to check, and you are the only person who can tell if it suits your own needs or not.

The latest units of the 62 were slightly updated (called 'Evo', but I can't remember from which year exactly) with larger glued windows both in the master and in the VIP cabin. But if you ask me, I'd rather stick to old school s/steel framed windows, which are more trouble/leak-free.
    They yard made extensive use of sandwich construction, sometimes also in the whole hull, which could become problematic whenever some thru-hull components were retrofitted without caring enough about a proper, extensive re-sealing.
    But actually, I'm not sure if the 62 hull had sandwich construction or solid lamination, under the w/line.
    Blistering is also relatively common, in Azimut hulls.
    Anyhow, this is all stuff that a decent surveyor can check, without struggling to identify problems, if any.

The electrical system, contrarily to what I read here in a few occasions, is not among typical Azimut problems, at least on this side of the Atlantic.
    This might have something to see with the fact that they have a production plant also in Brazil, from which maybe most of the production is sent to the US, but this is something I can't be positive about.
    One thing which is instead a recurring problem, even if not too serious, is the quality of teak, wherever used on external decks. Luckily, not many first owner specced it on the main deck and the flybridge, so if you find a boat that only has it in the cockpit and swim platform, probably you will have to replace just the latter, which is no big deal. In the cockpit, all depends on how much exposed the boat was left in her lifetime, but I've seen early 2000s boats whose cockpit was normally enclosed when not used, and the teak floor was still quite acceptable.
    Another point worth mentioning for the 62 are the GRP "cheeks" under the stern fairleads, that can develop cracks if the boat was exposed to strong snatches on the mooring lines.
    But again, easy to spot during survey.

All that said, neither Azimut in general nor the 62 in particular would be my personal choice, and among Italian builders there are others which I like better.
    At this specific size and age, Sanlorenzo would probably be my choice, but I blamed beforehand the fact that you are likely to get suggestions about alternatives more than comments on the boat you are interested in, so let's not get into that!
    What I think is fair to say, if you like the style and the layout and the survey doesn't highlight any major problem, is that you would struggle to find a much better value for money, among plastic flybridge boats in this size bracket.

Good luck for your search!
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Mapism has a kind and informative post above and deserves to be read again in all fairness.
    Quoting Mapism "The reply from olderboater is based on the fact that you are not going to hear a lot of appreciation for Azimut in general, in this forum."

This is correct...

A lot of Yacht Forums members are from the marine service side of yacht ownership. Our sweat, blood and tears are spilled in many bilges and offer us a great opportunity to see and repair many parts you and your surveyors just can not see, experience or appreciate.
    In Jacksonville FL, not many Muts hang around. It's just an little south Georgia river town.
    I have worked on 8 to 10 Muts of various models and age thru the years. So I'm the junior Mut Tech on this Forum.

I'll offer just some comments;
    You will never find an accurate ships electrical schematic if one at all.
    You probably will not find any accurate hull schematics on plumbing (raw or fresh water), A/C systems (ducting, wires & coolant lines) and/or other items.
    I assume that every boat is assembled by a different group of folks that just throw it together before the cap comes down. This results in near every boat is built different, one of a kind (that week?).
    A/C pumps and other items that do need maintenance are installed in impossible places for a normal person to not just reach, but barely put a finger on. Remember, installed before the cap came down.
    So on my above comments, You can understand that Mut service is going to require more tech hours, possibly modifications to your boat and a longer service visit. Knowing now about muts, then, I wish I could of passed on that work and serviced something (anything) else.
    One member called Da Mut; the Bayliner of Italy. He was kindly speaking.

Lack of factory support and no spares should be considered also.

I'm not even to talk about Marine Max, That would ruin my day.

Please do a YF search on these tubs. You may find some almost happy customers that have posted.

IMO, keep walking. There are real yachts out there to shop that will project your money further.
  6. Alex F

Alex F New Member

Thanks for your detailed feedback, Mapism and Capt Ralph.

I have to admit that my search for a 60'er has been a challenge. Every boat is a compromise and being on a budget I have to think real hard what do I compromise when choosing between brands and models. I don't think I ever saw a boat that didn't have any issues, so it comes down to "pick your battles" approach.

What attracts me to Azi 62 FLY is number of benefits mentioned by Mapism, which include the style, fully functional 3 staterooms + crew quarters and very important fact of mechanical side (CAT engines). All of this comes with a decently (in some cases) priced used vessels. The competitors of my liking have their own challenges and mostly equipped with either MANs, MTUs or Volvos. At this point, I've developed some comfort with MTU Series 60, which is Detroit engine marinized by MTU. I have good amount of information to keep a great distance from MANs and Volvos.

At the end of the day, when I ask myself what do I want to compromise, I feel more comfortable dealing with some known "house" issues, vs. paying arm and a leg for servicing and fixing MANs, for example.

Based on my findings, I have the following on the hull contruction of 62FLY:
    "Hand-laid solid fiberglass hull, constructed using multiaxial fabric and powder binding with neopentyl-isopthalic spray gelcoat. Sandwich panels with foam PVC layers are used in bulwarks and superstructure." So, I'm a bit surprised to hear about the blisters issues. Is this due to poor quality of gelcoat or its application? Is this common among different models? Does it also apply to 62Fly as well?

What I've read and you guys confirmed about 3rd party vendor doing electrical work with no uniformed standards and lack of useful schematics, is indeed a concern. Lack of information, service and parts availability are all concerns. But, I think that looking at the situation realistically, there's a great chance that most of the concerns would apply to almost any 15 y/o boat, regardless of a brand. By searching for 2004-2007 range puts me out of any warranty by default, whether it applies to the hull or the mechanical side. Thus, everything comes down to my ability to fix and service or having local professionals do it.

Looking at 62Fly at the high level, all of the major components are made by reputable, widely used and widely serviceable brands:
    1. CAT Engines - easy to find mechanic, if it's something I can't handle.
    2. ZF transmissions - same brand I have now and will need to use the same network, if needed.
    3. A/C heating Doetic/Cruiseair - I don't see an issue other than claims of Azi having the pumps fail. I can take care of it my switching to March pump, if needed.
    4. Fridges/Freezers/Ice makes are zubzero, U-line, Isotherm, etc. - Not an issue as I've changed them number of times.

As you can see, I have a comfort level with all of the items above, so that leaves me with the "house" (the hull). Part of the outstanding items I still need to research is the sanitation. I've pretty comfortable with Sealand/Dometic systems, but I think Azimut is using different brand. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Running gear is another area which I'm still learning on Azimuts. So far I only heard that you need a special puller, as the standard ones don't fit. Is that true, does it apply to 62Fly as well?

Does anyone know if the cutlass bearings can be easily found here in US?

If you guys can point out any other red flags that I'm missing, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Alex.
  7. olderboater

Every time I read the arm and leg for maintenance on MAN's, I have to say that's not our experience at all. We find them to be very reliable and as easy to get serviced as any brand. People act like CAT's have no issues, but they have their share as well. Often those who refer to MAN issues aren't referring to the current generation. When I speak well of them, I am speaking of Common Rail.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The series 60 engine IMO is now near bomb proof. Still get all records and survey well.
    MANs do well also. A good MAN shop needs to be close and will be considered a part of your family soon.

The Prop Smith (or like) tool is near common on lots of different boats and different propellers these days.

It's the B S & T that your going to dread trying to self service your ship.
    It's not the pumps failing, it's getting to them for service / replacement.
    Clocks are ticking on many water hoses. Good luck on finding, repairing, replacing any hose or plumbing issue.

You will not be able to estimate yard work based on your friends Hatteras repairs.
    Impossible to forecast, just realize, yard work will mostly cost more for repairs.

Blisters and cracks may become a part of your custom decor as your ship get older.

Have you a plan how to get on / off the boat? Your Wife? Your guest?
    I'm not sure of your exact model but please consider this also. Lots of euro models make egress a hazard sometimes.
    This condition will also change from dock to dock.

If you realize (for real) there is a reason the up front cost is lower than other brands for similar models, Then I guess you have talked your self into it's purchase.
  9. Alex F

Alex F New Member

I'll just name 3 items for CR 900s:
    1. Major maintenance service (the usual HEs, aftercoolers/air coolers, gear coolers, etc...) that's recommended every 2-3 years is around $20K.
    2. MMDS board failure is $9K.
    3. Fuel pump failure. $36K......that is what my friend paid for a new pump.

That is my definition paying "arm and a leg" for something that costs much - much less for other engines. I understand that it's not fair comparing my engines that are 1/2 the HP, but the most i paid for major service was $5K and my fuel pump is $1K.

I'll never say that CATs have no issues, for that matter I don't know any engines manufacturer that has no issues. But, two major items that makes them different, I'm referring to American build, cost and availability of parts, and service techs network. I think most people would agree that cost of MAN parts are always will be much more and service network is much more limited.
    Last edited: May 12, 2020
  10. olderboater

I think that story about MAN parts being more is old and outdated. CAT parts are not cheap today, nor is service. You look at the items you quoted above and price those same items for other engines. On a used boat, maintenance costs are going to reflect the care and treatment by previous owners. And, no, you can't compare half the hp. We've managed 5 boats with MAN's and never encountered any major maintenance, just regular periodic maintenance. No fuel pumps.

The two year service you refer to is:
    • Change both valve caps on expansion tank
    • Remove and clean, flush intercooler
    • Remove and clean, flush heat exchanger
    • Remove and clean turbocharger
    • Remove and clean charge air coolers and pipes
    If there are no issues with those parts, then it's definitely not close to $20,000. If the parts need to be replaced, a different story, but then those same parts are expensive on CAT.

As to capable mechanics and service, we've had no problems, but then we are in an area with good support. We do use regular providers and trained MAN mechanics.

One other warning. I don't argue about what you consider an arm and a leg, but hope you can then afford financially and mentally to lose one, because buying a 13 to 15 year old boat, you're highly likely to incur service in the first year of ownership in that range, the $20k range.
  11. Alex F

Alex F New Member

You're bringing good points that generate more questions.

I'd say that this is the part that no boat owner wants to hear, especially those that cruise often and go far.

Water and sanitation hoses, from what I know it's a pain on most boats. Are you suggesting that it's even worse getting those replaced on Azimuts?

Boaring/off boarding applies to any vessel with high freeboard. I don't see how it would be different in Sunseeker, Marquis, Princess, Hatteras ...just to name the few. So far I observed no issues, it's either via platform or attached passarel.

Blisters - is this your observation in general on different models? Does it get bad or is it few that can easily be touched up during bottom paint?

No, not at all. I'm doing research and got it down to 3 different brands and models. The more I study them the more I'm seeing that 62 Fly could be the "happy compromise". For this reason I opened this thread so I can learn what I still don't know and determine if there are really red flags that I should consider as an indication to stay away from Azi in general or just 62Fly. I was considering 55Fly (same years range 2004-2007), but it doesn't offer the same comforts/space. And of course the issues you guys describing seem to apply to Azi as a brand, not a particular model.
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Never heard of a MAN air cooler failure.
    MAN has no gear cooler. It is installed by the marinizer who mated the engine with the clutch/gear.
    So the gear cooler service depends on the clutch mfg.
    There is some attention required on the tube shaped H/Es. However, Not abused, they last a long while.
    There is a rebuild service available also.
    Now just servicing these, sense MAN has no zincs and better materials than CAT, keep it clean and not full of mud is most all required.

I would consider the cost of MANs water paths thru/around the engine to be one of the cheapest to maintain per years and/or hours.

Search YF for the MAN board topic. Recently I understand a less expensive clock repair is in place.
    Other than that, Boards are expensive for all brands. I think Volvo is the tallest priced per hp.

Yep, Injector pumps cost a lot for two engines. Rarely required.

Kind of a personal joke to me. MANs and Detroits luv to leak oil.
    When you think all are fixed, they just start over again.
    Probably one of the better scores for Cats (not many IMO), they don't leak oil as much.

Your looking at a used boat again. Ensure records are there for all factory recommendations, re-torque heads for example.
    Survey all very well. Poor maintenance by the previous owner is not a fault of the engine mfg.

I see we were typing at the same time.
    I'll get back to your last post tonight.
    Got to get out and work on our 42 year old beast.
    71s rule
    detroit_diesel_12v71_v12_ddc1090.jpg
  13. Alex F

Alex F New Member

I was referring to air cooler service per schedule, not a failure.

I'm attaching a pic (click on it to expand) of the gear cooler. Maybe there's another name for it, but as I know it in CUMMINS/ZF world it's called gear cooler.

Attached Files:

14. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Sorry if I gave the impression that blistering and sandwich construction are somewhat related, because they aren't.
    The problem of sandwich construction under the w/line is that if and when water finds its way inside, it can soak the sandwich, and depending on the extension and duration of that, even the hull strength can eventually be affected, in the worst case.
    But as I said, I wasn't sure about the 62' specifically, and according to your findings the hull has solid GRP lamination, so no worries on that.

Hull blistering instead is something "starting" from the gelcoat, and can be more or less superficial, again depending on how old the boat is and whether she's kept in the water at all time or periodically dried out.
    It's not uncommon on Azimuts hulls, regardless of whether sandwich or solid, and mostly depends on how carefully microbubbles of air were removed while rolling the first layer of mat after the gelcoat.
    So, that's essentially down to how careful a specific workers team was, while laminating the hull.
    But there's no way for you (or anyone else) to know beforehand, other than by checking the hull.

Anyway, that alone is not something that would make me rule out a particular boat, in the age range you are considering.
    First of all, wherever such blistering is present, it's usually very superficial, and only affects the gelcoat.
    Secondly, more than likely the boat will need a full removal of the old antifoul anyway, and that is the best occasion for blasting out any blistering, clean and close the holes with a vinylester filler, and eventually treat the whole bare hull with 3 or 4 epoxy layers.
    Done that, you will be very unlikely to hear again of the problem for another 30 years, if not more.
    That's more expensive than just re-apply antifoul of course, but not the end of the world, either.
    And if the problem appears upon survey, the job cost can well be part of the price negotiation.

Just another point on MAN engines: the 900 that you mentioned is indeed notorious.
    It was the very first CR version of their V8 block, and right after they introduced it, many yards adopted it to power their models that up to then were equipped with the mechanical V8/800, whose reputation was very solid.
    But shortly afterwards, MAN began to be overwhelmed by warranty claims, mostly due to CR teething problems.
    How well and reliably they were addressed, depended on the specific competence of the dealer involved, considering also that back then they were just beginning to learn CR engines.
    Bottom line, together with their V10 of that era (particularly the semi-electronic 1050, but also the CR 1100), I would include the 900 among the MAN engines that I would rather not have in my boat.
    But other than that, I agree with the previous comments about MANs being much better than the old wives' tale about man-grenades suggests.
  15. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Sorry, I meant to say but I forgot:
    I don't think the cutlass bearing of the Azi 62 (or any other Azi model for that matter) have any peculiarity, other than being probably metric.
    70mm, if I should guess. Pretty much off the shelf items anyhow, at least here in Europe.
    Not sure about how much more difficult it can be to find metric sizes in the US, but certainly Azimut isn't the only EU builder in that market...
    Someone else from your neck of the wood will surely be able to confirm that better than myself, anyhow!
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Gear, Clutch even called the transmission, all the same on a floater.
    Yes, That is installed pending the Gear, Clutch or transmission. Probably the only zinc on that engine.
    Some ZFs have internal oil oil coolers. Other MFGs use the coolant from the engine to cool (or heat) their clutch oil.

That looks like a typical MAN clutch install,, Twin Disk..

Working on your #11 post now.
  17. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

... A good MAN shop needs to be close and will be considered a part of your family soon..

I'd say that this is the part that no boat owner wants to hear, especially those that cruise often and go far.

A good shop taking care of their brand correctly, should make those long leg trips less worrisome. And, if there a problem, they know who can help if not, they will be there on the next flight.
    My Heavy Cat & Detroit crews do take advantages of their frequent flyer miles.

Water and sanitation hoses, from what I know it's a pain on most boats. Are you suggesting that it's even worse getting those replaced on Azimuts?

No schematics on hose runs. My comments on, Installed before the Cap came down applies again. As on some boats I have worked on hulls (not all Muts) where sometimes you have to run new hoses and abandon the original hoses in place. Our company had a well documented policy and procedure page on this for customers to recite and sign.. Yes they had to read it aloud.

Boarding/off boarding applies to any vessel with high freeboard. I don't see how it would be different in Sunseeker, Marquis, Princess, Hatteras ...just to name the few. So far I observed no issues, it's either via platform or attached passarel.

Stern in / on every time? Imagine your coming up to a restaurant for diner. How the F***** you going to get crew off to catch lines? You have to look this over with an open mind. Take all cases in view during your dreams. I know you did not mean Hatteras when you were typing. I have never found a NC hull you could not board near the wheel house doors. Hatt mini hang ladders are SOP here.

Blisters - is this your observation in general on different models? Does it get bad or is it few that can easily be touched up during bottom paint?

Blisters are a long term issue for all cost reduced hulls. This happens because of mold release (polished gel coat) that passes water. Some brands/formulas allow this to happen faster than other brands/formulas. Sometimes, none at all. Who spent the extra dollars on your bottom during hull mfg is a sign of the rest of build quality. You got blisters; cost cutting… The only reason.
    New blisters are an eyesore. Grind them out, let completely dry, wash well, dry again, fill, fare and seal. Then paint. New blisters will be back if you don’t clean and reseal the whole hull. I have walked thru many surveys where the seller stated some barrier coat was just applied, during bottom survey it looks like a mine field. Survey all well. The more in depth (moisture meter, IR, Gross thermal or even my fave; bang on her with a mallet) is a must if not more than one.

If your finding old blisters that have not been sealed, this could be an issue. Water is (micro) pumped in between the layers of glass. These laminates of those fine hand laid turn to mush.

However, I have never found a floater to sink from this,,, Close but not sink..

Capt Ralph said:

...If you realize (for real) there is a reason the up front cost is lower than other brands for similar models, Then I guess you have talked your self into it's purchase...

No, not at all. I'm doing research and got it down to 3 different brands and models. The more I study them the more I'm seeing that 62 Fly could be the "happy compromise". For this reason I opened this thread so I can learn what I still don't know and determine if there are really red flags that I should consider as an indication to stay away from Azi in general or just 62Fly. I was considering 55Fly (same years range 2004-2007), but it doesn't offer the same comforts/space. And of course the issues you guys describing seem to apply to Azi as a brand, not a particular model.

What are the other brands your looking at? In a hurry? IMO, another month will be like shooting fish in a barrel. Start expanding your searches. Those that were tight budgeted, will be the quick bargains soon.

Go ahead and post the ads your looking at. We can rip them up quickly.

Don’t be in a hurry. Who knows, this Mut may be a good deal after all (doubt it)..
  18. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Don't worry about metric vs ASE. They are common. However, I do prefer a V strut vs a single arm when applying big HP to the water. Not sure what Muts use, concerned a single design is the final strut.
  19. Alex F

Alex F New Member

Thanks guys. I'm learning a lot from your feedback and doing more search on the forum. I'm starting to get the picture why you call them the "Muts".

While searching other threads, I found several eye opener posts, but this feels as real as it gets. I'm posting the link here in effort to help anyone else looking for the same info in the future:

https://www.yachtforums.com/threads/what-about-azimut-electrics.21563/page-2

"...I have never taken care of an Azimut for an owner that fixed or maintained anything themselves. That is why Azimut owners tend to speak highly about them. They don't know what broke, they just pay and pay to have it fixed. The last Azimut I managed and maintained, we ran with a crew of 2 always (Captain and Mate/stew), if not a crew of 3 because that's what the owner wanted and was willing to pay for it along with everything else and the boat was under 60'. We did a 10 +/- day trip every month for about 7 months. There was not a single trip where something did not break that was pertinent for their comfort of staying on board, that we didn't have to fly parts into the Bahamas for, and fix while they were enjoying their dinner, if not a multitude of things. I maintained this vessel in excellent shape. Access to many things is difficult. Therefore repairs generally cost a lot more, just because you have to dismantle half of the boat just to access the bad drain hose from the FB that is pouring into the engine room etc etc. Exterior maintanence generally costs more on them as well. If you're willing to pay the premium, then buy the boat. If you plan on having a knowledgable Captain run the boat for you that can fix things as they break on your trip, then buy the boat. If you don't, you will have some unhappy experiences and you will learn every Italian curse word there is. Enjoy!"

Capt Ralph,
    The 3 brands/models I'm looking at:
    1. Marquis 59
    2. Azimut 62Fly
    3. Sea Ray 580 Sedan Bridge

I'm not in any rush and taking my time doing the research and weighing pros and cons. I totally agree with you and anticipate a buyer's market in the near future, considering the current situation.

I guess it's easy to line up the power plant I was referring to earlier, where MAN 900CR would be in 580DB and MTU S60 in M59. I would only consider A62Fly with CAT engines (as you know, they usually come with C18s).

I have extensive experience with SRs, as I owned several models in the past 24 years. MAN engines is my biggest hesitation for 580DB. M59 is on top of the list, but it also the most expensive on my list. Azi62 and 580DB are in similar and more attractive price range, which makes my decision more difficult.
    Last edited: May 13, 2020
  20. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree and would prefer MAN's in a Euro boat. They're very good engines, as are the C18's, but Azimut generally doesn't use a lot of CATs. I agree with what everyone else said about the Azimut maintenance, especially Ralph. RUN don't walk, from the Marquis. Do yourself a favor and buy a 63' Sunseeker Manhattan. The Searay 580 Sedan Bridge was also a very good boat and very good sea boat, great performance. Access to things in the Engine room is a bit tough.