Click for Mulder Click for JetForums Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport Click for Furuno

Life's Better With a Boat

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by PropBet, Aug 24, 2010.

1. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Kind of a neat short film I came across the other day:

Watch it here:
    http://www.discoverboating.com/goodrun.aspx

Cheers!
  2. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Thanks for finding...and sharing.
    One message in the film is that the guy is not sitting there regretting not boating but seeing how it enhanced his life. I don't want to be 80 years old saying "Could have, would have, should have". Just do it.
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Darn clip makes you face your own mortality! In the end, life can be measured by the number of times your soul was stirred. My most memorable, living-life-to-its-fullest memories, has been on a boat.

Thanks for sharing Jasen!
  4. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

A few nights back at the pub a friend of mine asked me "So how did you get interested in boats?"

One of my fondest childhood memories was with my Grandpappy taking me out in his little 14 foot fishing boat, teaching me how to fish. We'd fish for a few hours, and I'd beg and beg to let me "drive". Of course this was a dinky 6ish HP outboard, but as a kid, boy that was fun! I believe I was infected as a child (Thank You Pappy) at that point in time, and somehow knew that I wanted to be on the water as much as possible.

It's not until you're in your 40's until you understand what those experiences of yesteryear really mean, and the significance they hold in your life, and perhaps the very influence they had.

Watching that video, with the kid fishing, sure reminded me of my summers on the lake with Pappy.
  5. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

We, who were lucky enough to have boats in our early life, found freedom.

Hoisting a sail so that you didn't have to row all the way to the end of the creek or taking control of Granpa's wheel was pure freedom.

That idiot, childish grin is still there in a small way each time I open the throttles or hook a a fish. It's been my job for over 25 years but it still beats going to work.
  6. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Thanks, Propbet, for that.
    Growing up in boats from an early age....we are the luckiest souls on the planet.

A young couple with kids tentatively asks about whether buying a boat is a good idea. To tell them, yes, because your kids--and you-- will never forget all the times made special by virtue of just being together out on the water...the costs pale into insignificance compared to all those rich experiences that await.

Kinda like those old BMW advertisements--"You gotta be a MORON not to want to drive this car".
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

We had some smaller boats, for fishing and just rowing, but a friend of the family had this cabin cruiser that he had built himself. In the late 1950:s we were out with him as often as possible and I could take the rudder for hours...:)

From this, it was just a few years before I had my own little powerboat, spending all my time and money going around in the Stockholm archipelago.

Attached Files:

8. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

^^ What a picture!!! ^^

Was that a typo above:
    "spending all my time and money going around in the Stockholm archipelago. "

should have that perhaps read:
    "spending all my time and money grounding it in the Stockholm archipelago. :p
  9. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

..... :D

Sounds like PropBet's been to Sweden! Such a unique seascape. Islands and rocks jettison out of nowhere And they are everywhere!

BTW... I can confirm the little boy at the helm is our very own Lars Modin. He still looks the same.
  10. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Not really, I got my Yachtmaster Offshore as a young teenager and have only bent a prop once....

And just like Carl, I am forever young...:)
  11. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

And it's the boat what does it............
  12. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yes, cruising with my latest toy from 1931 makes me feel very young...:)

Attached Files:

13. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Wooden run about

Very nice.
    It brings back very pleasant memories.
    Seeing that engine hatch up brings back the smells of warm wood and a warm engine.
    I wish you great times in that baby.
  14. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

In our port tonight. I know which one I would take, even if both were for free...

Attached Files:

15. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

I was reminded of this thread when I came across this image and description this morning in my daily synch-up with the digital world.

This is a very dear and life long friend of mine, and his grandson, sailing in the San Francisco Bay. He has a very cool, very old, very much a project (mostly cosmetic) restoration that he's been tinkering with, however sea worthy and does a fair bit of sailing with.

The description that accompanied the photo was:
    I can remember stuff I did with my grandpa from when I was three, Collin at age 8 here, steering a 49.5 foot gaff rigged wooden sailboat under the Golden Gate bridge here, saying, "Grandpa, this is the most fun I've ever had in my whole life!", I think he'll remember this probably long after I'm gone. Sailing is a legacy that I am proud to pass on to my kids and their kids! Almost the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

So, on this cold late January day, remember: Tech your children to sail!

Attached Files:

• mjr.jpg
      mjr.jpg
      File size:
      32.7 KB
      Views:
  16. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Prop Bet, This is a wonderful post!. My life changed forever at the age of 11 when my parents bought their first boat. From then on - all I wanted to do was be on the boat. My preoccupation with boats robbed me of any spare time to get into any other varieties of childhood mischief.
  17. MountainGuy

MountainGuy Member

Small sailing trip some days ago in Austria

Here some pictures from a small siling trip I made some days ago on my little one on an Austrian lake...

Attached Files: