Click for Mulder Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for Ocean Alexander

Late Model 68 owners

Discussion in 'Cheoy Lee Yacht' started by Unklbuck, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Unklbuck

Unklbuck New Member

Looking at a 2005 68 Sport and wondered if anyone has seen this boat and how it looked? Also looking at a Lazzara and Sonship and any comparisons would be much appreaciated. Tks
  2. marvincrone

marvincrone New Member

Boat is operated out of Clearwater Florida but hom
    Fellow buyer

I am going to be on the 68 Cheoy Lee at the Miami Brokerage show on the 18th of Feb. I can tell you more after that. What specifically would you like to know? I am looking for an increase in speed so I am looking to make a change from my 2000 model 62' Offshore Flushdeck. Offshore is also a Tiawan built boat so they are similar. I am also looking at the Hatteras 62 and Horizon 70. I will look at the Lazzara also but I have trouble with her exterior lines.
    Marvin
  3. Mellobo

Mellobo New Member

Cheoy Lee Serenity 68

Great review!!! I was aboard the Serenity 68 during the Miami Boat Show and was impressed by the interior volume this yacht has as well as the high quality of the joinerwork. She looks like a cross between a trawler and a motoryacht.
  4. clnewman

clnewman New Member

A couple of years back there was a thread about Cheoy Lee having issues with many of their laminates splitting and/or problems with the adhesives, with the rumor mill indicating the factory wasn't standing by their work. I don't know at this time if these issues have been resolved.

However, about a year ago, I went aboard Lionesse when she lay down in Southern California, and you could see the lamination issues discussed in the forums beginning to take shape on her.

I guess my question here is if the yard is now taking ownership of these issues, and if the root cause of the problem has been discovered and corrected.

Does anybody here know?
  5. Blair

Blair New Member

One would suspect that as they have engaged High Modulus to design their lay up of the new 68 they have sat up and taken notice of the need to provide the FRP quality demanded. Even so, you may engage the experts to design and specify but the build QA is a yard matter. However, you would have to have some confidence with High Modulus now involved as Cheoy Lee would not have bothered to pay the price for quality lay up design/spec if that result was not intended in the finished product.