Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Delta Click for Glendinning Click for Abeking

KUS Gauges

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Thisisit, Jul 21, 2023.

1. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

Does anyone have any experience with, or opinions about KUS gauges? I'm a little suspicious of the quality.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

We have been using Wema/Kus senders and gauges for many, many years for our customers and ourselves.
    Not a first issue.

What/why the suspicion?
  3. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

Maybe suspicious was the wrong word. Should have said "unsure". Haven't seen a lot of them in the market up here. I believe they were always made in Asia and the price point is very, very competitive. Add to that, they don't make an engine sync gauge. That kind of leaves my replacement plans in limbo. May keep the oringinal sync gauge and try to do a best match.

Also need to determine whether my current engine senders are compatible. I assume they would be, but still need to check.

Thanks for the recommendation.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Kus will deliver senders & gauges in either VDO or SW technologies.

One thought to keep in mind. I ordered some fuel gauges from them years ago and found them to be a lil loose in the original dash hole location.
    Double check your mounting holes to everybody's installation specs.
    Come to find out, The original (35 year old) SW fuel gauges I had were slightly oversized from today's standard.

They used to make a sync indicator, I could not find it on their latest web page.
    Not sure anybody makes a sync gauge any more. You may have to ask directly.
    Sierra may have stopped supplying them also.
    https://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE65495P&pass_title=65495P+:
  5. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

Aah good to know. I did notice that some of the measurements were just a tad different. I don't think that's a deal-breaker, just a little more adapting required.

I will make a list of questions and concerns, and speak to one of their reps.
    They answered an email overnight, so I'm confident I will be able to come to some kind of informed decision.

There are sync gauges out there, not many but perhaps I will source a similar design somewhere else.

Thanks again for the information.
  6. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Been using wema/,kus gauges on my Viking for years, absolutely nothing to worry about.
  7. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

Excellent. Good to hear. I think I will be going that route.
  8. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

Did you need to replace any of the OEM sending components or did the KUS gauges operate as plug-and-play?
  9. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

Re the fuel gauges you ordered.... were the OEM sending units compatible or dod you need to replace those as well?
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I replaced the senders first. New senders worked very, very well.
    Then realized the gauges were an eye sore. Working fine but weathered.
    Then replaced. That was over 10+ years ago.
    All were SW compatible.
  11. MountainGuy

MountainGuy Member

also use 3 kus, 100% happy
  12. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Everything is interchangeable providing it's the same ohmic value.
  13. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

I'm having issue with the WEMA/Kus instruments that want to be kept awake by the NMAE 2000 network power. Those gauges fail regularly. They want intermittent power to check levels and be left mostly in the off position.

Just my experience here?
  14. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

Me again... All the gauges were installed without an issue. I also upgraded and installed line voltage busses and ground busses so that all of dials have the same resistance and voltage.

The only issue is that both oil pressure gauges are reading backwards. Idle pressure is just about at spec. Adding revs drops the needle about the same it would move in the other direction if reading properly.

Wired correctly and proper line voltage to both. I do know that the KUS tank gauges are Euro/American specific regarding the resistance. Not sure about the oil pressure gauges though.

Sending units are OEM (Cat).

Ralph, did your senders need to be replaced or did you need to install a resister?
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

You have VDO senders. They will work bass ackwards from the American SW standard.

Wema/Kus will deliver their products for either VDO or SW modes.
    When In doubt, I always ordered the gauges with matching sender for our customers. Never an issue this way.

Not sure if still available, I also ordered straight from Wema/Kus in south FL.
    They had great support then also. Maybe tap on them if you still have issues.
    https://kus-usa.com/support/
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2024