Click for Perko Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Delta

Kotter type trawler

Discussion in 'General Trawler Discussion' started by RBW, Aug 30, 2020.

1. RBW

RBW New Member

Does anyone have experience with a Lowland Kotter Motor Yacht or any Kotter type (rounded hull) boat? Handling, roll, etc...looking at an 1983 48’ Lowland
  2. JWY

JWY Senior Member

These are great boats if well maintained. The specs by the listing brokers don't do them justice. I believe they are DeVries Lentsch designs. I recall that there were 8 of them built, I have sold 2 of them. One was declared a total loss when it was hauled for a hurricane in the Bahamas several years ago. The standard issues arise on survey of their being 30+ year old boats, but they get a big edge ahead by being Dutch design and built to start with. Beautiful joinery. I think there might be a concern over iron fuel tanks, but I can't be sure I'm not mixing my boats up from memory.

Judy
  3. RBW

RBW New Member

Judy, thank you so much for your reply!! This particular boat has been maintained and refit...it was the San Diego Yacht Club’s “best maintained yacht of the year 2019”. Good point about the iron fuel tank and being a steel hull it’s likely it could be...I know some manufacturers of this era (particularly Taiwan built) had that issue...we’re gonna try and see it today...big departure from our Tiara 4300 Sovran but so cool looking and unique I’m seriously interested...thank you again!!!
  4. JWY

JWY Senior Member

That might be the one whose 2nd (3rd?) owner named her Blue Jacket. If so, let me know and I have a little more inside scoop - only good.