Click for Northern Lights Click for Cross Click for Comfort Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko

Jefferson 53 LRC Pilothouse

Discussion in 'Jefferson Yacht' started by Navy06RET, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Navy06RET

Navy06RET New Member

Newbies here wanting to purchase live aboard and safe cruiser for Great loop, Northeast Loop, and Bahamas. Been looking for 6 months. Decided, based on viewing , we want 50-55 ft, as close as possible to turn key. 2 adults, 2 small dogs. Would like to keep age 20 yrs or less. Have seen Carver 530, 564, 506, Bayliners, Navigator, one 44 ft trawler, and have found a lot of info on them. Also want a cockpit. Then search stopped by Covid. Have found little info on Jefferson Pilothouse. Know the company is kaput. Budget to 400k. What does anyone with Jefferson knowledge think of this listing for our purposes:
    https://www.**************/boats/2000/jefferson-53-lrc-pilothouse-3527718/

Any other suggestions, thoughts, are most welcome. Thanks to all.
  2. BRyachts

BRyachts Member

Nice looking boat. Jeffersons were decent quality in their day. The Cummins CTA's is a good engine if cared for, make sure your surveyor checks maintenance on the aftercoolers. The Westerbeke gen has high hours so keep that in mind. It looks like the arch hinges, hard to tell from pics, be sure and check your overall height in lowest configuration for the Chicago bridge. Just me, but I'd upgrade the fwd anchor package to two heavier duty setups, then possibly re-use the existing anchor setup as a stern anchor. Most factory anchors are what we refer to as "Lunch hooks", and not really suitable for dependable overnight or heavy weather use. If just two of you, I'd lean to adding a stern thruster for easier close qtrs maneuvering, they're easy install, she has a lot of windage. For Bahamas you'd probably want a watermaker, but don't put one on 'till your ready, their un-necessary on the Loop. Check your house battery bank, alternator and inverter set-up, that can cut your gen run time down and still keep your refer and appliances running while cruising or overnight on a canal seawall.
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  3. Navy06RET

Navy06RET New Member

Thanks for the great recommendations!!
  4. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Thanks for your service!

Check out: American Tug, Cherubini, Nordic Tug, Ocean Alexander, Symbol...These are under the category of "fast-trawlers."

Judy
  5. WiserTime

WiserTime New Member

I commissioned a 42' Jefferson for my Dad back in 1988. He had the boat for about 9 years and loved it. It was a very good sea boat and I was pleasantly surprised with the overall build quality, it was very good for the time. His had 6-cyl Cummins and he had virtually no trouble with the boat. The teak interior was top notch and gorgeous. Obviously with a 2000 boat a survey, sea trial and mechanical inspection will tell the story, but I would seriously consider it.
  6. Navy06RET

Navy06RET New Member

That's encouraging. Thanks!
  7. Navy06RET

Navy06RET New Member

Thank you, Judy.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Make sure to check the air draft. You'll need to be under 19'2 if you want to do the great loop.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

This is for real.
    After all these years, still fixed bridges in Windy that only have 19' vert clearance. Maybe 19.5' on a bad (good?) day.
  10. SeaMajor57

SeaMajor57 New Member

We have a 2000 57’ Jefferson pilot house and absolutely love it. We are planning to do Bahamas and loop. The hinged arch will definitely be the jet for the loop. Go for it!
  11. Booty Skipper

Booty Skipper New Member

Hey Navy06RET,

I spent two hours aboard the 53' Jefferson RPHMY in Brunswick, GA with the owner and broker. Special boat. A diamond in the rough. Immaculate interior.
    What I liked:
    The best condition of any of the many 20 year old boats I've looked at in the last year. The owner was meticulous and she showed serious pride of ownership. Perhaps the nicest, cleanest engine room on a boat this age I've ever seen.
    Great big living spaces, three nice big staterooms with two full heads, large galley with full-size appliances and a huge piltohouse.
    Engine room access from cockpit down steps - don't need to access thru cabin.
    Solid equipment list: stabilzers, fuel polisher, oil changer, etc.
    What I didn't like:
    Her lines aren't great.
    Small cockpit.
    Glossy interior finish with over-the-top interior hardware.
    Anchoring set-up is weak - needs a dual roller
    High freeboard (does allow for that nice tall engine room).
    She needs a new Awlgrip paint job for the blue hull and the white superstructure could use one too.

The broker had suggested I go and see her and I told him I wasn't interested in a Jefferson.
    The build quality did seem better than expected and my wife loved it.
    I came very close to buying this boat, but timing not right for us.
    About a month ago a couple came down from Boston and made an offer that was accepted the day they saw her.

I must tell you, you missed a fine boat here.
  12. echo charlie

echo charlie Member

Has anyone been aboard a JEFFERSON Marquessa 61 motor yacht model ? There is a blog/ vlog "Adventures of OLOH " the author is aboard a 61 Marquessa which looks really nice . At first glance I thought is was a Hatteras yacht. Edward
  13. boaterholic

boaterholic New Member

Anyone familiar with the 52' PH SE model? Any comments on the boat would be appreciated. If anyone has been aboard one that does not have stabilizers, how prone to rolling is it while underway at slower speeds?
    Thanks