Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Glendinning Click for Delta

It's a small, small digital world...

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by Fishtigua, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Very cool, but where did you get the idea that was a model. It's just shot in high speed from about 20 stories up. Real NYC.
  3. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

I think its a blend of real footage with the models photoshopped in. Notice little things like none of the car doors open, the boats and helicopter move incorrectly etc. Watch it again Ed. :cool:
  4. ScotL

ScotL Senior Member

It appears to be miniature, however, that is kind of the point with tilt shift photography. It was shot with a couple of Nikons in about 35,000 individual still shots. It is fully explained at the link below.

A little bit of reading I did while watching the video(they even tell you how they made it -- in miniature):

A day in the life of New York City, in miniature.

Original Music: composed by Human, co-written by Rosi Golan and Alex Wong.

Please view in HD and full screen for best effect. For a description of the shoot, camera, lenses and workflow, please see here:

http://www.youtube.com/redirect?q=http%3A%2F%2Faerofilm.blogspot.com%2F2010%2F02%2Fsandpit-short-film-by-aero-director-sam.html&session_token=vi8fx-uxw_C7kQ1CT6PXIRjokMx8MTI4NTk2Mjg4Mw%3D%3D
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

In a day when cameras do everything but brush your teeth in auto mode that's some complicated camera work. This guy knows his stuff. BTW Fish, what tipped me was the shot of me & the hooker on 2nd Ave. (Don't bother rewinding in slowmo. Kidding.):D
  6. ScotL

ScotL Senior Member

If you are going to use a D3 or even a D80 in auto, you clearly spent way too much on your camera. They are meant to be used by people with a clue.

I had a D200 for awhile, and I got much better photos out of it in full manual than auto. I still miss that camera. I really want to pick up another one. Maybe a D300 this time.

And stay away from those hookers:)
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

D3, D80, D300:confused: Sounded impressive when I read it. I just use a Cannon on Auto.:eek: Guess I'll never get a job taking pics of Giselle or Kate Moss.:)
  8. ScotL

ScotL Senior Member

Just Nikon cameras Cap. They used a D3 and D80 for that film. I prefer the better cameras, as the camera I learned on was a 30+ year old Canon AE-1.

The smaller point and shoot cameras don't usually let me do what I want. I do like a point and shoot for some stuff.though.
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Thanks for the education. My old AE-1 was the last one I went manual on. Now I use the SX100IS. I've gotten lazy.;)
  10. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

Wow. I learned to shoot on an A-1, and it certainly wasn't 30+ years old at the time... :eek: :(
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

My 1st AE1 had an Olimpic lens cap. What was that, '76? It got stolen in '82. I gave the replacement to a photog. collector friend in '99; still working great. OK, I'm feeling old now.:(
  12. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yesterday I should take a picture of an UFO with my superduper Lumix camera, but it could not decide on either focus or shutter speed resulting in just a blurr...

Then I was thinking of my old Canons, I still have an A1 and an F1n, where almost every picture was perfect. Now we replace quality with quantity to select a good shot...
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That's called progress.:rolleyes: Same with virtually every product sold today as well as the culture. Kids can't do simple math without a calculator, and shall we get into plastic products or telephonephones (remember those) and how about those 5mph bumpers on cars (remember tying a chain to a tree to pull out the front end of your car instead of "totalling" it.
  14. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Guys,

I just split the preceding posts from "Winter, Wheels, Whatever" and named the new thread... "It's a small, small digital world". Seems to be some good digital (and analogue) wisdom coming from this. It's a subject that interests me. I'm in the market for a DSLR.
  15. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I know how it is, since there are new models just around the corner every month, always better they say. And they usually are, but not for all of us.

I have a "four-thirds" DSLR where you can look either in a viewfinder or on an LCD screen when shooting. It is better as a view-cam since the extra mirror for live view LCD is slow. Taking pictures of fast moving objects is safer with a viewfinder so I use this camera for boats in motion.

Then I have a "micro-four-thirds" mirrorless DSLR with just an LCD screen. It is a lot smaller and easier to carry around, but not so good in bright daylight or on moving objects. I use it more for interiors, boat shows and people.

I just saw that Olympus is coming with the new E5, a live view DSLR of the second generation, which perhaps can replace both of mine and still work with the same lenses. A never ending story...

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/OlympusE5/

The fast boat is shot with a viewfinder and the slow with an LCD screen.

Attached Files:

• C-30.jpg
      C-30.jpg
      File size:
      50 KB
      Views:
    • 311.jpg
      311.jpg
      File size:
      40.7 KB
      Views:
  16. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Like Carl, I need a replacement..... for my old SONY Mavic 5.0
    It worked well enough 'til it started getting buggy when initializing/finalizing the disc. Worse, the wide angle lens & ext. flash are incompatible with the new SONY stuff.
    Nikon, here I come. A local expert (you know what that is: 'ex'= has-been and a 'spert' = a drip under pressure) suggested a Nikon 5000 since all I really use a camera for is to shoot boat interiors/exteriors for listings or until Kate Moss shows up on my doorstep.
    Body + normal lens + wide angle lens + ext flash for ~$1500 (?) Don't want to spend a whole lot more. Don't need mega-mega-mega pixels. Most of my stuff gets reduced to 1000 X 750 pixels (and less for YF) anyway.

I am open to suggestions and I am not married to the Nikon idea, but figure, in light of the planned obsolescence the SONY provided, I like the idea of ancient lenses & Minolta lenses fitting a camera that I can keep forever.

Canon vs. Nikon?

Appreciate everyone's thoughts for this rank novice.
  17. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

I'm in the market for a new camera too.

Something compact, that can be slung in a kit bag and robust enough to withstand sprays of saltwater or mud of offroading. Nothing too complex for an tech-fumbler like me.

Does such a product exist?

Once I managed to thrash my Nikon rubber-armoured underwater camera to pieces on the handlebars of a Suzuki up a mountain track, won't be doing that again. :eek:
  18. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Check this: Olympus Stylus Tough-8000. My wife has one a few steps down from this and hasn't been able to destroy it yet (not for lack of trying). Myself, I use the Cannon Powershot SX100 IS and love it. It's survived many trips, has a good telephoto, good manual features (although I rarely use anything but auto anymore) and downloading and editing is a breeze with the Zoombrowser software. I think you've seen my old web site. Those pics were all with the Cannon.
  19. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

The difference between ours is, the A-1 lacked the auto-wind feature. My uncle had the AE-1.

Mine also has the Olympic cap, and a Canadian flag-themed maple leaf strap. When I get the time and inclination, I'll dig it out of wherever it has been stashed for the last 15 or so years...

Who still makes high quality film? And who processes it?
  20. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

My A-1 is with a power winder. Pretty fast and lighter than the F-1n with motor.
    I have an AV-1 as well, compare the size of the F-1 to carry around...

Attached Files:

• A1.jpg
      A1.jpg
      File size:
      48.5 KB
      Views:
    • F1.jpg
      F1.jpg
      File size:
      71 KB
      Views: