Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Cross Click for Abeking Click for Perko

Inverter choices

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Good Spirit, Nov 5, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Good Spirit

Good Spirit Member

Northern harbour lake of the woods Ontario Canada
    I'm putting in an inverter system in my 3608 carver. I have looked at both the Xantrex and triplite models both companies offer models that will meet the requirements I'm looking for. The trip lite model is about a third the price of the Xantrex. Would appreciate any feedback.
  2. Good Spirit

Good Spirit Member

Sorry it should be Tripp-lite. Both inverters are 2000w output with 3000 max and 100 amp battery charger. Anyone with experience in this area I would appreciate your comments.
  3. Scottbee

Scottbee Member

I haven't looked at the TL offerings recently. Are you going for true Sine-Wave inverters, or are you willing to use a modified square-wave unit? It makes a big difference on price.

Personally I won't use anything but a true sine-wave unit with my electronics.
  4. Scottbee

Scottbee Member

P.S. I have the Xantrex Prosine 2.0 (2KW) on my boat, and I carry a complete spare. With the exception of the display (replaced under warranty) I haven't had any real problems. But I believe my next inverter will be a Magnum.
  5. Good Spirit

Good Spirit Member

Thanks I understand that the Tl is pure sine as well. Why a magnum I haven't researched that make
  6. Scottbee

Scottbee Member

I don't know anybody who runs the TL, nor can I find any meaningful reviews. Nothing against Tripp-Lite, I'd just be concerned.... especially in a marine environment.

Lots of Xantrex inverters out there, and a lot of opinions. It would appear that their reputation has been tarnished by reliability and repairability issues over the years.

Magnums appear to have a good reputation and a lot of fans in the marine and RV circles. I also believe they are made in the U.S..
  7. Good Spirit

Good Spirit Member

Thanks. Tripp-lite is made in Canada. Seems to be a popular choice at our marina. No idea with regard to reliability.
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Xantrex quality has come come down in the past 10 years lots of complaint. My own freedom 30 (2004) was repaired twice under warranty and crapped out a year ago.

Magnum, Charles and outback are solid units. Magnum is made in the US (unlike the communist built Xantrex) Charles is US built too I believe

Make sure you instal marine unit. Marine inverters bond N and G when running, an ABYC requirement
  9. Scottbee

Scottbee Member

Are you looking at the TL MRV2012? If so, that's not actually a true/pure sine-wave inverter.
  10. Good Spirit

Good Spirit Member

Thanks for all the info. Good point on checking marine usage. Recently read a great article on marine electrocution a from stray current. Want to ensure complete safety.
  11. sunchaserv

sunchaserv Member

My 2004 Xantrex 3000 Inverter/Charger started misbehaving this summer. Before it let me down in the wrong place, a Magnum PSW Inverter/Charger has been installed. Magnum is made in Washington.