Click for Glendinning Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Cross Click for Nordhavn

I don't want to winterized!

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Gary Subers, Nov 1, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Gary Subers

Gary Subers New Member

I made a decision this year to keep the 390 CPMY in the water for the winter. We are bringing her up from wildwood to Atlantic City and staying behind the Golden Nugget. With my Ocean, I used to just keep the block heaters on in the winter and that kept the boat warm. Are there any heaters out there for gas motors that I could put in the engine room that are safe? What about the water systems?
  2. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

make sure you use a marine certified heater in your engine room.

also check your insurance policy to see what you are required to do inorder to be covered in the event of a loss.
  3. Gary Subers

Gary Subers New Member

Thanks RT. Is there a certified heater for gas engine room? Where can I find one? West Marine has a heater 1000 watt heater called "boatsafe" for engine rooms. It's $469. A bit more than I would like to pay for a heater, and it doesn't say if it's ok for gas engines. Does anyone know of anything else out there that would be safe? I assume you would have to close up your vents in the engine room. Any advice from anyone who likes to extend their season or live a board?
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Go south...
  5. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I know some of the marinas in your area tend to be rather seasonal but some have a good many year round tenants. Where do you keep your boat? South Jersey has a lot that stay in the water. Then Snug Harbor might be a good place for information as they encourage year round fishing. I would walk some marinas and talk to some of the fishermen. You're in a serious fishing area and they should be able to tell you what they do for year round protection.
  6. Gary Subers

Gary Subers New Member

"Farleys" at the Nugget I'm told have a few year round tenants. I don't think there's a big fishing contingency though.
  7. olderboater

Yes, I just picked Cape May marinas as that is where you're located.
  8. Gary Subers

Gary Subers New Member

A.C. Is going to be more convenient to get to this winter. There's a lot to do there, and I'd like to keep enjoying the boat.
  9. olderboater

Then walk the docks there and talk to people who use their boats year round. I don't think you'll find as many who do as in Cape May, but I'm sure there are some. Farley is primarily small boats though, under 32', except for transient dockage. Kammerman's might be able to help you.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Brielle they also keep boats in the water year round. There is a lot of current there and they don't seem to have icing up issues. I don't know on heaters that are safe for gas. One gas boat I manage has one, mounted on the foward wall in the engine room it's about a 1' high and 2' wide. But I never examined it for a manufacturer because, well, we never ever use it.
  11. Gary Subers

Gary Subers New Member

Thanks Captain J.
  12. g36

g36 Member

boatsafe heaters are ignition protected and are safe for gas engines they are very good heaters. i have used them going on 12 years and have never had an issue with them failing to operate as they are designed to. i have several other boat neighbors that use them also.
    from their website
    "From the very beginning, safety was of the utmost concern in designing the BoatSafeĀ® heater. Ignition protection and thermodynamically safe and efficient heating is the design backbone of every bilge heater we have ever made. We have set the industry standard in safety for you and your boat. Boaters have trusted us since 1990, and no one else can make that claim.".
    yes they may seem alittle pricey but you can find them cheaper than west marine which is pretty much anything with their pricing.
    heres then websiet give them a call if you have any questions.
    https://www.theboatsafe.com/
  13. Gary Subers

Gary Subers New Member

Sold! Thanks.