Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Delta

Hydraulic gauge failures

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Pascal, Mar 30, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Our Trac system (stabs, BT and windlasses) has about 4 or 5 pressure gauges. One of them failed on this recent trip to the Exumas, luckily it was the zero speed gen PTO gauge and that section of the system is isolated from the main system. Restoring hydraulics was just a matter of refilling the main reservoir (I always carry at least one pail of hydraulic oil on board…)

Talking to AMS in FTl, a Trac dealer I ve been using for years, he suggested removing the gauges and installing service ports instead in case troubleshooting is needed. I like the idea of removing all these failure points.

Any reason why we shouldn’t do it? second time I have a gauge fail like that, the first being a pressure gauge on the water maker.

or put new gauges….
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

On one boat long ago, we installed valves below the gauges per the owners instructions.
    Valve were always closed unless gauge readings were observed and then closed again.
    I always liked that idea.

I think we used high pressure steam rated valves.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I thought about that but I m concerned about the length of the valves making the gauges stick out. Or maybe add a 90 degree fitting