Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Walker

HVAC STRAINER SIZE

Discussion in 'HVAC' started by LARRYH, Aug 8, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. LARRYH

LARRYH New Member

The marina that is my home port in Va beach is also the jelly fish capital of the world (kiddingly) In any case I have a hard time keeping the Hvac strainer clean having to clean it at least once per week .. My question is why not put in a larger strainer to slow the velocity down I wanted to know if anyone had any thoughts on this for example the engines have much larger strainers .. could i buy one that size and replace the AC strainer in hopes of slowing the suction of the HVAC... or does this cause other issues ..???? I guess I would leave the same sized seacock or maybe enlarge that also ?? any thoughts????? I have a combination of self contained dometic and split systems dometics 6 units total around 150000- 180000 btus best I can estimate..
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Indeed the bigger the strainer the better even if that mean using bushings to fit the smaller hoses.

another option is to fit mesh strainer thru hull covers aka South Bay strainers. They work very well keeping everything out of the strainer. But you have to haul out to install
    rtrafford and bayoubud like this.
  3. LARRYH

LARRYH New Member

Thanks ... I do plan to haul out in September and am exploring the idea of a more tolerant system .. I will look into the south bay idea also..
  4. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

We kept a boat at Ft. Pierce a couple times. The jelly fish were a pain. The slotted covers do not work for those critters. The best strainers I've had were the Sen-dure outboard covers for sea cocks. She perforated bronze strainer slides in a track that can easily can be removed by a diver if need be. I kept a pair of spares painted to change out when needed. Installs requires a haul-out.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Jelly-fish are just a bog blob. They will clog any screen, inside or outside.
    The outside strainers could be helpful on self clearing while under way, at some speed.

I remember installing dual sea cocks and strainers for a couple of gen-set installs to help with lowering the velocities and sucking up sea grass.
    A larger inboard serviceable strainer will be an idea.
    Or, like dual Racors, If needed, Dual Perkos could be an idea also.

Keep your fingers out of the jelly, It will still burn ya for a long time.

Any idea is going to cost more money. How you want to spend your bux would be a good question. Any plan still requires somebody to service the strainers/screens.

Good luck,,
    LARRYH likes this.
  6. LARRYH

LARRYH New Member

good idea ....
  7. mapism

mapism Senior Member

You could check out the flushing system that I explained in this post .
    That installation is actually referred to the engines, but I have something similar also for all other sea water cooled bits (chiller, genset, and even the shaft seals).
    If you run it with the chiller turned off and the seacock open, the fresh water has no way to go other than backwards, hence actually flushing both the strainer and the seacock.
    No idea about how effective it can be for cleaning jelly fish, though, 'cause that's a problem I never had.
  8. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

I like the back flushing idea but you would need more pressure than a garden hose I would think. If you were starting from scratch the ac raw pump could be plumbed w 2 water sources and thus flush one.
  9. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

The South Bay and Sen-dure strainers are basically the same type, I never had a problem with those type with jellyfish, only the open thru-hull or slotted strainers. With no outside strainer would just load up the inside strainer quickly. I would always have these type outside strainer on all thru-hull supply sea cocks. Especially if you area has lot of sea grass.
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

One thing though... if using these for generators make sure They have holes on the back side so pressure can’t build up under way. And make sure your diver cleans these holes
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Very good point.
    Never allow your gen-set thru hull water to be forced or scooped into it's raw water system.
  12. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Good point. We have to use them, we have lot of suspended eelgrass at times that can clog the smaller generator strainers and cause an overheat. Have had that happen when on anchor for several hours. Got to have that ac!
  13. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

I had this type set up on my old boat. Just a couple valves and a hose. I could attach the hose to the shore water, hit the valve and away they'd go.
    The shore water pressure was pretty darned good tho and it sent those jellies back to Mama.
  14. spreda

spreda New Member

I’ve used both water and compressed air. The air definitely worked better, especially to get the pieces stuck in the hull intake. Plus the compressor is great to have around for the dinghy and water toys.