Click for Furuno Click for Abeking Click for Cross Click for Walker Click for Burger

Hurricane Milton gunning for Florida

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by Capt Ralph, Oct 5, 2024.

1. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

For those in denial, HURICANE Milton will clobber Tampa as a Cat 3+ and cross Florida coming this Wednesday.
    Screenshot 2024-10-05 at 19-08-49 Windy Milton - Hurricane tracker.png
  2. StillLearning

StillLearning Member

No denial here. Very much concerned and watching closely. We just went through 8ft of surge with Helene.

The wind will be full of projectiles with the amount of "stuff" sitting out by the streets.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Josie found this today;
    Yep, this year's boating season for us was trashed.
    462257613_8943032889042651_5355180957630743913_n.jpg
  4. SkyDriver

SkyDriver Member

That is my biggest concern, the streets are loaded with furniture and debris.
    Currently wind projection at 125 mph hitting the coast.

The bad, the surge est 8-12 ft

You hide from the wind & run from the water
  5. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

He is on the way..
    We are staying but mandatory evacuation for those on the ICW around the corner from us.
    Hopefully he will peter out crossing Florida.

IMG_7952.jpeg
  6. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I’ve never seen a hurricane spin off so many twisters.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

If you hang around the twister magnets (mobile home parks/cardboard hoods) enough, you can capture lots on your phone.
  8. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

The new Tornado Alley. :confused:

So far in Palm Coast and Flagler Beach we had moderate wind with a few good gusts up to 50-55 knots and sporadic heavy rain showers.
    Glad my boat is racked in the Cat 4 Boat Hangar and my arse is racked on the couch with a good book
    Fishtigua likes this.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The night was kind to us. Lost power around 0200 this morning. On gas gen-set now. Got to have my coffee.
    Inverter still running on our Bertram. I'll crawl onboard later today and put one of the gen-sets to auto charge/cycle to not abuse the inverter batteries. Clay Power is real good about fixing things so I'm taking my time.
    20241010_075512a.jpg
    Robertoman likes this.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Now we wait for the real floods to begin. I expect near another 2 feet by Saturday as all of central Florida drains by our house.
    This is when we enjoy real water front property,, again.
    Like living in the boat again.
    20241010_075522a.jpg
  11. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

Since canal is only 80 ft. wide, after Broward County does their bridge lock-down announcement most of us relocate boats to the center of the canal but that never happened this time and no boats moved from their docks. Just added extra lines and fenders and hoped the forecast for the SE was correct. City emailed tornado warning for early evening as if there was anything we could have done for them but other then maybe about a foot of extra tide water and a little above normal wind we were spared.
    35 plus years back current home was in the rebuilding process and we were living on the boat out back for the 3 months. Hurricane passed south-north just offshore and there we were in the then 38 Bertram tied out in the canal center all night. X now tells me she doesn't remember (she slept through it) but the wind was so loud and wondering if we were going to wind up high & dry in someone's back yard it kept me up.
    Years later the 38 was tied out there and the winds of some hurricane got us. Two spring line bolts holding a cleat in the seawall cap sheared off allowing the boat to blow back to within only a foot of the next one out there so when the eye was directly over us re tied the boat but later she had a war with 3 of the dock pilings and they both lost. Pilings were pushed over, dock destroyed, and rub rail pulled down about 18 in. with its long screws gouging the fiberglass along most of the side. Glass guy from Rybovitch did an amazing repair and not had any direct blows since.
  12. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Yacht content starts around 4:30. I've queued it up:
  13. YachtForums

Local news is reporting landfall between Casey Key and Siesta Key, the outer banks of Sarasota. The video Kevin posted is Manasota Key, approx 25 miles south of Siesta Key. I would speculate the damage is greater as you go further north along the barrier islands. Some of these homes are older wood frame construction and should have never been built directly on the gulf. That said... plenty of CBS houses with windows and garage doors blown out.
  14. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Interesting video as it shows that the damage was all storm surge and not wind. Most roofs are intacts, even on homes which have clearly been hit by the surge.

no surprise… I looked at various weather stations in the area and none reported sustained winds over 70kts. Even stations installed by the university of Florida incl one in Sarasota which shows the passage of the eye

Storm surge in Ft Myers and Naples peaked at about 5’

Tampa Bay on the other hand got a 5 feet negative surge

Once again the folks who left their boats in the path of the storm are going to cost all us money with increased insurance premiums. Same with the car owners who left cars behind knowing full well they were going to get destroyed. I really wished insurance companies would have massive deductibles for such losses.

Attached Files:

Capt Ralph likes this.
  15. gcsi

gcsi Senior Member

It’s an interesting point with respect to winds. I monitored Sarasota winds in real time throughout passage of eye. The highest GUST was mid 80kts at Sarasota airport.

I don’t understand the Cat 3 label without any supporting data demonstrating sustained 96-112kt winds. The data I observed would barely support Cat 1 status

unfortunately, this will impact my world-view moving forward. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could point out direct data supporting a Cat 3 landfall.
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2024
    Adopo likes this.
  16. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

The media has been notorious for hyping. Could not help noticing on TV one of the storm reporters yapping about 3-4 ft. of water while what was shown not even at his knees. Another at a beach talking of 60 plus mph winds while his baseball cap was on his head until the end, about 10 minutes later when it eventually blew off. Their performance will only lead to more and more ignoring them in the future. We've all heard the story about Crying Wolf.
  17. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yeah, I did the same, monitored airport data from TPA, PIE, SRQ, SRW and others before, during and after landfall, the METARs and SPECIs showed less winds and gusts than the TV crowd and the National Hurricane Center.
  18. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

What happened is that the increasing shear tore the storm apart. Radar images hours before landfall showed the southern eye wall collapsing and disappearing altogether. Of course from then on it takes a while for winds to come down and the wind field expands as well. Here is a shot of the radar at landfall

IMG_2673.png
  19. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Da wife found this pic.
    Did Palm Beach flood this bad?
    Or twister?

Dumpster.jpg
  20. YachtForums

No flooding in PB, just twisters.