Click for Furuno Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger

How to I find my key number?

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by praetorian47, Mar 7, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. praetorian47

praetorian47 Senior Member

My boat didn't have keys when I got it. The dealer found the key number by trying different keys, but now he's lost it (and never did actually get me any keys).

Is there any way I can find what key I have to get some replacements?
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

What kind of boat is it and are you talking door or ignition? (I keep 911-915 door keys on a ring because their pretty common.) Trial and error is your best bet that I know of, or just pick up a new cylinder or ignition. If an ignition key that may be your only option or a good lock smith. Also, are you absolutely sure there are no keys on board. Most owners hide a set for in case they forget to bring their home set.
    Also, the manufacturer will probably have a record of the key numbers depending how old the boat is.
  3. praetorian47

It's a 2006 466 MY. The key is to the salon sliding door.

I'm positive no key remains.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I believe that's a Southco lock. Common. Check whatever dealer you're closest to (pretty much any make) and try a bunch starting with the 911 to 915 once you have the number just order one. If your marina doesn't have a set of keys remove the lock and bring it to someone who does or simply order a new cylinder. If you're locked out and can't borrow keys to try, pick the lock. (Even the wrong key can often be manipulated if it fits) Boat doors are not very secure. (Mis-spent youth:cool::D) P.S. these keys are cheap. Ignition keys are often a different matter so protect them (one set hidden on the boat and one set home).
    Some of the newer Carvers have a different type of lock which is more secure. If that's you case contact the factory with your boat ID #. Most locksmiths today simply break or drill the locks causing you to replace. So if you call one in make sure they're experienced, reputable and can pick a lock.
  5. RB480

RB480 Senior Member

Is this a Mobella lock? Most 466's I have seen have the Mobella lock with very few southco's but they are out there.
  6. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

Im not really sure about the boat or the lock,
    but once a broke my last key to my salon door.

i removed the cylindar and brought it to a locksmith.
    the locksmith made me a bunch of keys for $25.

in the future, i will try not to break off my last key in the lock.
  7. praetorian47

I found the number and ordered the keys today. Thanks for the help.

The dealer wanted to charge me $50 per key! I got 4 for $30 delivered to Canada :)