Click for JetForums Click for Mulder Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for Burger

How do you communicate your Ship time ?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Johno, Jul 12, 2024.

1. Johno

Johno New Member

I was tasked by a boat builder a little while ago to looking into how a unified 'ship time' was handled, distributed and displayed to crew throughout a larger vessel.
    I've found various systems and methods in use varying from a series of battery powered quartz clocks through to fully centralised time systems like the sort used for railway stations.
    I hope this post is worthy of discussion as I would be very interested to hear some feedback particularly from vessels that sail through different time zones and ports etc;
  2. BlueNomad

BlueNomad Member

We turn the glass and strike the bell.
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

There can be a Ships Master Clock in the Wheelhouse and some slaves around the vessel elsewhere. These days a clock in the wheelhouse and as most systems that are on have a time indication the need to broadcast the info is no longer required as a stand alone system when folks have phones, wrist watches , radios that all show the time there is no real excuse for not knowing the time.
  4. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

Just make sure your iphones are not set up for auto time zone!
  5. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

We're well past the days of sextants and noon-sites. Every crew member on my boat carries a smart phone and/or watch. I announce, via WhatsApp, at what time/day we are going to change the ship's time, and to which time zone they should set their phones. As an example today's order was:
    Sailing from Gibraltar at 1830, at which time we will set our clocks back to 1730. For smart phone users, please set your clocks to London time.