Click for JetForums Click for Abeking Click for Cross Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service

Hooking up for shore water

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Sonny, Nov 20, 2007.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Sonny

Sonny New Member

I'm trying to determine the feasibiity of hooking up my 1988 Carver Santego 38' with shore water and getting mixed signals from various different people.......one said it was not feasible because of the way the water tanks were configured....not sure what he meant......could someone give me a good answer and some intructions on how to do it....I was u nder the impression that all you did was tie shore water into the line after the pump and install a check valve so it wouldn't back up in the pump and into the tanks....in essence use the same lines to the faucets, shower , hot water heater, etc. .....am I correct???? When under way close off the shore water input and turn on the pump for the tanks.......Appreciate any help...thanks again.
  2. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Sonny,
    I think on a boat that size you'll need a pressure relief/reducer valve (for lack of a better term), where the presure from the shore hose is reduced so you do not blow out the water lines on the boat. I'm surprised you don't already have one on the boat.
    Tied in after the pump, the pressure from shore will keep water flowing throughout, even through the hot water heater.
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Just make sure you have auto bilge pumps capable of pumping out the ingress should the pipe fall off, or turn the supply of when you leave the boat, if your fresh water empties into the bilge from your pump you are only dealing with the amount of water that is already onboard, if it falls off when hooked to shore water you are dealing with all the City has to offer.
  4. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Kiwi is correct. Put a shutoff valve between the shore water hose and your inlet connection, so when you leave or even for overnight you can shut it off. With the shutoff on your boat, it's a little bit more convenient.
  5. Sonny

Sonny New Member

Thanks to all for your comments. You've been most helpful and I will make sure that if I'm on shore water I have some means of making sure it doesn't sink if it leaks....thanks again .

Sonny