Click for Glendinning Click for Mulder Click for Walker Click for Westport Click for JetForums

Holding Tank Filters on 355

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by n36511, Feb 27, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. n36511

n36511 New Member

Narrowed my issue down to a vent blockage on the forward head. Have searched other posts and have tried to trace the vent line to the thru hull, but I cannot follow it all of the way. Have any of you seen the location of the forward holding tank vent filter?

Thanks for all of the help.

Scott
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Check inside cabinetry or closets inside of and near the vent. Look for a removable panel.
  3. n36511

n36511 New Member

Yeah good thought... but have done that. All removeable panels I could find I removed. Was in hopes another 355 owner had "been there and done that". I appreciate the help!
  4. seldomdry

seldomdry Member

Mine is located under the galley floor hatch.
  5. n36511

n36511 New Member

Ok galley floor has been covered in removable vinyl.... didnt know there was a hatch under there. I will check when I visit the boat in the next few days. I would think that the filter would be as close to the exit of the hull as possible. Hopefully it is there.
  6. seldomdry

seldomdry Member

Actually both of mine are with in a foot of the tank. Hope yours are.
  7. seldomdry

seldomdry Member

Did you find that filter??
  8. n36511

n36511 New Member

Unfortunately no. I am not sure this boat even has filters now. I am concerned that the previous owner overfilled the front tank and now something is plugged into the vent line near the tank. Time to start removing the clamps and trying to push air thru the hoses :(
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Yuk! Been there, done that. Better you than me.:(
  10. hopper5

hopper5 Member

As a side note to your head issue......I had a head odor in my 440. Marine Sanitation in Seattle suggested I try a product called "Noflex Digester" ........It is really something ......you can check it out on either Marine Sanitation's or Noflex Digester's website...good luck..........
  11. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

An overfull tank can let remnants of toilet paper into the vent and it will clog , try and force water up thro the vent from below, not that miserable a job, did it this year, then I bought a special extension so I can force water hose pressure in from the outside before pumping out.
  12. hopper5

hopper5 Member

Another thought and consideration if you do find the filter is to make sure it didn't get any fluid inside it. Once it is wet it must be replaced because it clogs. If you can get to the tank the vent line fitting should be easily removed and cleaned. I had a similar issue and once cleaned it was fine.
  13. sam356

sam356 Member

Caver did not put filter vents on holding tanks. Remove your vent hose from tank get a water hose connect water hose to vent hose. Just turn water hose on very low pressure you will be able to see water coming out of your vent tube. Once you see clear water running out run air threw it with a portable air tank. Use duct tape when connecting hose to vent hose.
  14. n36511

n36511 New Member

resolved

Ok so original issue was that I thought there was a blockage in forward holding tank vent line due to poor flusing and toilet water coming out of vent on the side of the boat (the one that is at the top of the upside down "U" in the septic line. Finally had a chance to remove all of the vinyl that covered the hatch in the kitchen I didnt even know was there until someone else posted its location. Opened the hatch and immediately found the problem. Previous owner had the Y valve set to overboard discharge (illegal on the lake) and also had the thru hull off which was a good thing as it prevented any discharg from entering the lake. Moved the Y valve to holding tank and the toilet empties properly....good times :)

Thanks again for the informative posts!!
  15. Dave Stranks

Dave Stranks Member

Hopper5
    Glad you liked the Noflex haven't ran across anyone yet that it doesn't smell amazing results.

. I get a free supply since I make it. Find that with my gravity flush toilets without the stuff ; life would be a stink fest. If you ever have any questions on it use shoot me a line "I know about shzt"