Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Delta Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Northern Lights

Hi new here and looking for info

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Terryflt, Mar 2, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Terryflt

Terryflt New Member

We are thinking of buying a 2001 Carver 466 and would appreciate your thoughts on this boat. We want to use it as a live aboard. Pros cons whatever

Thanks
    Terry
  2. Good Spirit

Good Spirit Member

Northern harbour lake of the woods Ontario Canada
    A bit more info would be helpful. Where are you planning to keep her? What kind of boating do you plan to do? Carver is a great boat, lots of space good layout but really designed as a freshwater lake boat. Not really constructed for serious blue water. Decide what you want to do with your boat and then shop. Just my thoughts
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

With where you are I think it's an excellent choice. Go onto the Carver threads (hit SEARCH). You'll find a wealth of information about this model and Carvers in general. There's also a Carver owner's forum that you should check out. They're not generally considered fast nor big water boats, but don't be put off by that. I've had them out in over 7' seas. Not fun, but I'm still here. I wouldn't recommend buying new, but a 2001 has had the new boat bugs worked out. Absolutely have the boat surveyed, but what you can do yourself is to walk around the decks feeling for soft spots and looking for discoloration or cracks (especially around stancions) that may indicate water getting below the gel coat, and also look for traces from leaks around the windows and portholes.
    Check out how clean the bilge is. That's a good indicator of the care she's gotten.
    P.S. Welcome to YF, and good luck.
  4. RER

RER Senior Member

If you're looking at the boat in Ontario it has Cummins power which I would prefer over the Volvos. Think resale.

The 466 gets high marks as a liveaboard. Not so high marks as a boat to cruise, except in the most serene of conditions.

Some bigger ticket liveaboard issues would be, what is the condition of Isinglass enclosure and Bimini top?, do Vacuflush MSD's hold vacum/need service?, is the bottom due for paint? do dripless shaft seals require service?, What's the condition of the batteries? ...these would be of immediate concern to me if I were going to live on it.

If the boat has deferred maintenance issues with engines and running gear I would want to know what I'm getting into even if I'm staying tied to the dock. Eventually they would have to be addressed.

Sea Trial, Mechanical Inspection, and Vessel Survey will provide the information you need to make an informed decision.

If it is the Canadian boat it's interesting that it's priced lower than USA comps. Usually it's the other way around.