Click for Delta Click for Burger Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Furuno Privacy Matters

Hi-Jacked Web Addresses, Dealing with China

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by brian eiland, Jun 14, 2011.

1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

A short while ago there was an open subject thread on boat building in China. I see it has now been closed. I looked for it tonight as I wanted to pose this question to some of its participants.

Several days ago my website received this email from a Chinese source:

I answered back,
    "I have NO business partner in China at this time, and don't wish to have my web domain compromised that I have had for 10 years now."
    Brian Eiland

Then I received this email:

So I guess just like the other copyrighted and patented items abuses from China, we can now expect an attack on our web addresses. :eek: :mad:
  2. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

You do understand these are lead ins to scams and like you said, domain hi-jacking. You used far more energy than I usually give them, which is a 'delete' and certainly not the time of a reply.
  3. tirekicker11

tirekicker11 Senior Member

So now the Chinese are copying the Nigerians...

Probaply to motivate you to register your domain name in China with them.

If there realy was interest from somebody within China to register your domain name but with a ".cn" ending they would not inform you, they would obviously just do it.
  4. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

As I have a web site for my company I recieve one of these bullsh*t lead ins every few weeks.
    Ignore them.
    As for the Nigerians, I recieved one from a Somalian desperate for help in releasing $25milllliiiiiiooons from his late fathers account.
    As he was only offering me 25% of the funds I ignored him as I have a better offer from a South African in similar straits and he offers 45%!

Seriously though, the funniest thing is the number of people taking these guys on a ride and turning the tables on them. They start of as dumb "victims" then ask for "favours" before they send the $'s to release all those millions.
    Like some african art or photos of them for their kids etc
    Sadly people still send money to these scum, GREED kills thought.
  5. Ward

Ward Senior Member

When you register a domain name like mygreatcompany.com, it used to be standard practice to also register the .net and .org domains, i.e. mygreatcompany.net And, if you did business in other countries (or expected to), to register in their country domains .ca for Canada, etc. Most registrars can also register .cn (China) domain names, so a simple fix would be to register that variation as well.

OTOH, they're probably not going to do anything with runningtideyachts.cn and there's not much chance of anyone accidentally going there instead of .com
  6. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I have received this kind of mails from China for several years. As well as a handful of other scam mails every day. Replying is the same as asking for more as they then know your address is active. Luckily most of them are stopped by my spam filter.

Below are a recent China-mail and some other spam from this morning. "Fel lösenord" means "Wrong password" where they want you to give away your card number and password... :)

Attached Files:

7. Jorge Lang

Jorge Lang Senior Member

The last e-mail like the one above asked me to send $75.00 per domian name per year so that it would be protected from others. At 9 listed domian names they presented, it sounds like a bargain. :D I also like the one from Senegal where they want to purchase 75 Garmin gps systems for immediate export. In this one, their freight forwarder doesn't accept credit cards so they ask you to pay it up front and then they will reimburst you. The e-mails magically stop when you ask for a wire transfer for payment.
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I get a lot of these sort of e mails telling me of long lost relations who have come into millions and want to give it to me etc, I do not use my business e mail for anything except business and people I know and trust, I have a good number of blocked domains, IP Addys and E Mail addresses on my server and use a yahoo addy for websites etc that want an e mail addy.

A lot of the junk I receive has come from an addy I use only on Facebook even though it is supposedly hidden from everyone.
  9. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I read in the news today about a woman who received an e-mail from a friend saying he was in London and was in urgent need of 2000 USD. She sent him the money and called only after doing so. He was not in London and said, several of his friends had done the same! It all came from a Facebook account where the e-mail addresses were hijacked...

Don´t ask me how, since I have never been on Facebook.