Click for Mag Bay Click for Abeking Click for Glendinning Click for Burger Click for Westport

Help with Hydraulic steering ram

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by VikB, May 20, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. VikB

VikB New Member

Hi, soon to be Ocean Yacht owner. Just completed surveys on a 1988 Ocean 48 SS. Everything went well but upon returning to the dock the owner lost steering (partially). We found that the hydraulic steering ram was operating but it had come loose in/from the trunnion mount. The surveyor was unable to find the tag on it and I wasnt ready to climb that far back under the deck to try and identify the unit. I'll probably be dealing with this after the sale (negotiating this in) so trying to figure out what unit or part is needed. Does anyone know what model and brand (seastar/hynautic/etc) would be factory on the Ocean 48? Thanks for any help.
  2. vacser

vacser New Member

3. vacser

vacser New Member

I had a 1987 48 Ocean SS. I sent my steering ram to Florida rigging and Hydraulics in Riveria Beach Fl. They did a great job. Cannot remember the brand of cylinder
  4. 45SS

45SS Member

Can't speak specifically to your model but a 1997 45SS uses a seastar BA175-7TM.
  5. VikB

VikB New Member

I appreciate the help. The surveyor just sent a photo of the unit, unfortunately the tag on it is not legible. So I was able to negotiate the cost of a new steering unit. Thanks again.