Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for Glendinning Click for Perko Click for Westport

Help.......Trim Tab Question 440

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by hopper5, Nov 26, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. hopper5

hopper5 Member

I had some engine work done recently (heat, exchangers and general service. Since then my trim tabs don't appear to be working. Probably unrelated but since the boat is new to me I am not sure where to start looking.....I can check the switches, but where are the reservoirs , etc ?? In my previous boat ....Tolly.....they were in the engine bay but I don't see them on the Carver......Always something !!!! Thanks for any input....
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Keep it simple at first. It could just be a common ground wire knocked loose. Re-check where your E R service was preformed. Craw down there and look for any loose wires or connects. Double check your breakers or fuse panels.
    Some more info on the year, model, power and other options could help others help you.
  3. hopper5

hopper5 Member

Thanks

Thanks for the reply.....the boat is a 1994 Carver 440 Californian.......I'm going to look into it further tomorrow..........always something !!!!
  4. hopper5

hopper5 Member

Location of trim tab reservoir / motor

One more thing,,,,,,I was told the pumps / motors are located below the aft stateroom bed.......does anyone know for sure ??
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I help tinker on a 48. it's pump is below the master bed, Stb side, way down there in front of the transom..
  6. RB480

RB480 Senior Member

The pumps are below the aft bed. However you do not own a Carver Californian, The Cal name was dropped in 1991 and they never built a 440. The 440 was a younger brother of the Carver 42 Aft Cabin.

I just remembered that there may be another breaker for them in the aft stateroom hanging locker that faces the foot of the bed. Should be near a battery switch there. Also there may be another breaker on the main panel. I think the fluid pump may be accessible through one of the master stateroom drawers, or at least you should be able to see it from either side.
  7. hopper5

hopper5 Member

more info

I found the motor / pump under the main stateroom bed.......the motors were in fact working and the fluid was transferring as it should. I couldn't tell if the actual trim tabs were moving......they are just out of reach........I am having a diver check movement on Fri. Maybe they just don't affect the boat as much as my old Tolly ?? Should there be much difference in the bow / up / down and listing by moving the switches......if not then why have them at all ??
    Also there is a "Californian" medal insignia on the stern of the boat.......
  8. RB480

RB480 Senior Member

From running a few 440s you should have a noticeable difference in movement.

Somebody along the way had to add that logo on the stern, or a dealer did to make it part of a special package they may have been offering at the time.
  9. hopper5

hopper5 Member

thanks

Thanks for the reply...........One thing I did notice what was that when the trim tab switch was held "bow up" it seemed to have a constant higher rpm sound where as when I placed the switch to the bow down position the motor seemed to be more strained, if that makes sense. Any ideas and do you think they could be "frozen" in position yet the fluid seems to circulate properly ??
  10. RB480

RB480 Senior Member

There is always a chance, see what the diver says and go from there. There is always a possibility that it isn't pushing enough fluid or strong enough to move the tab when it is under load and its only moving for a minute and being pushed back upward.

You should also see a difference in speed with the tabs in any position, Up-Neutral-Down.
  11. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Hi,
    I am not familiar with your boat or the location of the tabs but I am able to check mine, through a swim platform, with a boat hook to feel if the tab is moving properly.
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

TOO ( TOOOOOO ) much tab, you will drive the bow down and loose rpm. You will also have a light feel or the rudder and be in an unsafe state. DON'T do that.
    If da wife, her sisters and/or her girlfriends are on board (or holding tanks are full, Same thing) You will need a lot of tab (rum or ejection system).
    Easy on the tabs. Too many hull configs out there for anybody to have a fast answer. Your only "suppose to adjust port/stb a little. Bow/aft requires a good touch & understanding.
  13. hopper5

hopper5 Member

A diver checked them out.....

OK, I had a diver take a look at the trim tabs yesterday. He said they were moving up and down accordingly with the switches. He did say they did not appear to have much "bow down" authority. He estimated that the cylinder was about 9" long and the rod / piston had about 4 1/2 " of authority. It makes sense that the cylinder which houses the rod would have to be longer than the rod itself and had to account for fluid and rigidity of the entire unit. So my question is it normal for the extension to be about half of the cylinder length?? I hope this makes sense !! As a side note the previous owner put a lot or heavy "stuff" on the boat.......granite and tile, custom leather furniture, etc.....very nice but heavy !! There is also an 11' RIB with a 20hp Honda motor with a center console on the davit.......heavy and very rearward.......maybe my beast is just heavy.......I would love to get the bow down though !! Isn't boating fun ?? always something !!