Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Walker Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service

Headhunter Mach5 pressure problems

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Badcoupe34, Jul 12, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Badcoupe34

Badcoupe34 New Member

My Headhunter Mach5 pump will not come on automatically any more when I turn on the water. Any ideas?
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Breaker on?
    Power light on the pump on?
    Fault/error light flashing?
    Have you turned the breaker off and on?

Most problem with these pumps are caused by a leak on the suction side. Once you have it running, open 2 or 3 faucets then run the pump till water flows then turn off the breaker till it stops. Repeat 5 or 6 times then turn the faucets off. There is a video on the website explaining this purging method.
  3. Badcoupe34

Badcoupe34 New Member

Thank you all for your time. I will try resetting the circuit breaker and more. I think my problem is the low pressure switch. No alarm lights are blinking. The pump fires up, it will stay running as long as I use the water. It stops running when it shuts down, but then won’t start again on its own.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Is there a pressure gauge? What pressure is it cutting out?
    I fear it is stopping with an error and you think it is just an off cycle.
    This bug has bit me once.
    No increasing load on the motor in a certain time, Off it goes till power cycled.
    Later pumps tried once or twice more.

The pump uses current drawn, current ramp & time to determine a load on the motor shaft. I do not recall a cut off switch, just on.

Air in the low side is the usual cause. The turbine/compressor wheels inside that pump is impressive but does not deal with air at all.
    HH uses O rings at each end adaptors. Food grade grease may only is used here.
    Not tapered pipe threads, teflon tape will not work.

HH support is great if an email or call is needed. They will need the model & serial number to answer any questions.
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2023
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

So it has power and it runs. Good. Try the purging I mentioned or look up the detailed video on their website.

the Mach 5 is probably the best fresh water pump but as I said earlier it is sensitive to suction leak. I had the issue on an 84 Lazzara where the pump would occasionally need to be reset. One of these annoying thing which aren’t broke enough to really spend time on. Next and current boat, a 110 lazzara and the pumps are running flawlessly. Knock on wood… I probably just jinxed myself :). We have two of them, using one at a time with a selector switch and valves.
  6. Badcoupe34

Badcoupe34 New Member

Thank you for all your help, I tried resetting the breaker several times. Tried purging the system by turning on all faucets and running the pump. The pump cuts off at 80#s, if you can believe the gauge. It just won’t start again on its own. I have never seen a fault light on the pump.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

My cheap pressure gauge shows about 70#s when it stops. You can sure feel that 70#s when it runs.
    Our DCv pump (water saver) builds up about 35.
    Time to call HH for service.
  8. JadePanama

JadePanama Member

Yeah, give them a call. Their warranty support has been excellent for both our previous Mach5 but also the xcaliber 24v one we use for salt water wash down. We have swapped out several that have died for warranty with ease. (1 Mach 5, and 2 xcalibers)
  9. Badcoupe34

Badcoupe34 New Member

Thank you, I contacted them today, they immediately diagnosed my problem as a faulty pressure switch. Unfortunately my pump is a 2004 model. No warranty left and they no longer have any replacement parts. I ordered a new pump and it should be at my shop when I return on Monday. Thanks again to all that tried to help. These forums can be very useful to uneducated consumers.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

19 year old pump has a pressure switch.
    And it failed. Frak..
    I would luv to tear into that old pump and learn more about their old pressure switches.
    At the least, I'll have another pig sized target..
    f3504x4ps likes this.
  11. Badcoupe34

Badcoupe34 New Member

Let me know where to send it and I will. You pay the freight.
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Sent a PM
  13. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

They used to give 50% off on a new pump when out of warranty. You only had to return the sticker with serial number.
  14. Badcoupe34

Badcoupe34 New Member

I asked if there was anything they could do for me and the answer was, no. The pump is too old and there is no repair parts available. I guess 19 years old is understandable.
    JadePanama likes this.
  15. Brian G

Brian G Member

Just went through the same process. Mine was a 2006 Mach 5. I was told by HH that you can replace just the pressure switch in recent models but not the older ones.
  16. Badcoupe34

Badcoupe34 New Member

Brian, mine is a 2004, too old for warrantee and they have no parts to fix it anymore. I already received my new pump and changed it out. The new one has more safety features, and the system now works as intended.
  17. 54bertram

54bertram New Member

just gut the electronics part of pump plum in a cheap well pressure switch wire directly to switch just make sure you dont run out of water or you will burn pump up
  18. Badcoupe34

Badcoupe34 New Member

I contemplated doing just that but decided that my Prevost motorhome would be better off with the right parts in the right place. Thanks for your suggestion just the same.
    f3504x4ps likes this.
  19. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Just had one of the two Mach 5 fail last week end. Thankfully the boat has two pumps so I just had to flip a switch and valves.

new Mach 5s have doubled in price since I last bought one 5 years ago to $1900. Painful but that’s what happens with high inflation. And they no longer have the 50% off when you turn in your out of warranty pump.

I decided to do a post mortem on the dead pump and it turns out the capacitor was blown. I ordered a new one from a place called Cafe Parts! Yes these Ducati Electric caps are used in coffee machines. Hopefully that will fix it and we ll have a spare :)
  20. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

As noted above, Badcoupe34 did send me his bad HH5 (Thank You).
    For $2.oo It was fixed, Bad lil micro (Cherry) pressure switch.
    I spent more time repairing a broke screw in the case body over the flow sensor, than fixing the pressure switch.

So, no pig sized target for my SKS & Saiga.

Then. I installed it in a friends Hatt. That kid has gone thru a few different well pumps, He is finally happy.
    If/When it fails, and I can't fix it, he will purchase a new HH and I'll have my pig target back.

Thru the years of tinkering, I have found these pump motors and staged impellers to be near bomb proof.
    Flow sensor and that lil board are next common (rare) failures.
    A bad cap is a new one on me. But, ship happens.