Click for Delta Click for Burger Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder Click for Abeking

Hatteras Yachts and their old hull molds...

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by VikHatBer, Oct 25, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. VikHatBer

VikHatBer New Member

What does Hatteras Yachts do with their hull molds when they are done using them? Do they destroy them? Do they store them? Is there any way to purchase, borrow, copy, or get the rights to use an older mold form for the purpose of fabricating a hull?
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

doubt it... i heard (not sure how true) that older molds used to be sunk off shore, not sure if this is true or folklore
  3. VikHatBer

VikHatBer New Member

What a horrible thought. Do they have the GPS coordinates (or Loran #'s for older molds)??? That folklorist should be put in jail!

By the way, are you the famous yacht surveyor?
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

They're all sitting outside of the factory in the rain and snow rotting. Right next to all of the current molds they're using that sit out in the rain and snow next to them outside of the factory in New Bern.
  5. VikHatBer

VikHatBer New Member

It sounds like I need to make a trip up to New Bern.... Hatteras' new hulls make me sick. They are a direct copy of Viking, which is a much better yacht 2000-2009, especially nowadays. However, Hatteras in the 1980's had the most impressive lineup of boats ever. Look at the # of hulls produced.

Until 1980 they had the 53' SF

1978-1988 - 55' SF
    1978-1986 - 60' SF
    1979-1983 - 50' SF
    1983-1990 - 52' SF
    1984-1992 - 45' SF
    1988-1990 - 48' SF
    1981-1984 - 46' SF
    1986-1998 - 65' SF

And many other great Hatteras Sport Fishermen... R.I.P. The new ones are faster but you guys caught way more fish!!! And you guys weren't "snob" only boats... Owners acutally mastered the art of driving and maintaining you guys unlike now. Just hire a crew...

The good ol' days... Bimini vs Central America... I'll take 1984 over 2008 any old day of the week.
  6. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

Hatteras hull's are much wider than Vikings at all sizes. Not anything close to a direct copy.
  7. VikHatBer

VikHatBer New Member

Yea, you're right. The 68 has a 21 foot beam. I think the design of the salon windows which look like a sideways teardrop is repulsive... The 68 Viking is way better looking, and faster, which is all the people who buy those big SF boats care about. But what do I know? I don't have 4 million to buy one. :)
  8. VikHatBer

VikHatBer New Member

MY last post is dying an agonizing death... Does anyone know what Hatteras or any other sport fisherman manufacturers do with their old hull molds???
  9. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Molds by brand name, production boat builders are usually relegated to vacant space at the yard or they are destroyed. It would be a rare exception for them to be sold due to proprietary and signature design elements.

There are discontinued molds for sale on the net by lesser-name builders, or by companies that have closed and are wanting to recover some capital. Just Google it.
  10. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Do you mean Pascoe?

I often wonder, too. :D

That would make a good thread all on its own.
  11. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Pascal is not Pascoe.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I have pictures of the Hatteras molds sitting out along the fence in New Bern like a parking lot. I'll have to scan them one day and put them on here.......
  13. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

rofl... that's a good one! thks for clearing that up Bill!!!
  14. VikHatBer

VikHatBer New Member

Hey I would really appreciate it Capt J. I have had a fierce passion for most sportfish boats produced in the 1980's since I can remember, especially Hatteras's. Private message me so I can give you my email for those old pics. You would make my week.

Sorry to mistake you with a legend, or visa versa. :D
  15. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Bertram Yacht sent some tooling Down Under in the '80s. Hull/deck/flybridge molds for the 28, the 35 (I think) and the 42 (and perhaps others) went that route and some Bertram-ish boats were built by a company (the name escapes me) of another name. I'm fairly certain that the classic models, i.e., the 31, 46, and 58 were chainsawed and likely add a couple of inches of elevation to Mount Trashmore down in South Miami.
    The 72 tooling was bought by a chap who kept them in a loose pile on the Miami River in the early '90s and advertised them for sale for quite a while.
    A lot of the minor molds could be found on-site acting as mosquito farms in an area known as The Snakepit and were already, in the late '70s/early '80s, just junk.
  16. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

If I remember, the Aussie boats are called Riviera and just as solid as the old ones.
  17. Jorge Lang

Jorge Lang Senior Member

There is suppose to be a builder in Miami who has some Bertram molds and stretched them to build his own. Anyone familiar with this guy?
  18. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I think Riviera used the origional molds for a short while, but not in a long time. They have been used and are currently made over there by a company......I can't remember the name but...I think It's Carribbean yachts. They even had and made a classic '31 I believe. A guy here was importing them and marketed them under another name.....up until about 5 years ago............which I will remember at a later point
  19. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Does anyone know one of the old school Bertram guys we can ask? This getting to be an Hullcule Poirot mystery. :D
  20. VikHatBer

VikHatBer New Member

Send me those photos of old Hatteras molds lined up in New Bern! I havent heard from you yet...