Click for Mag Bay Click for MotorCheck Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn

Hatteras Shore Electrical system

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by Dave North, May 28, 2019.

1. Dave North

Dave North New Member

I have a 1984 Hatteras MY . The shore power failed. The main breaker would trip
    as soon as switched on. We switched off all 3 load panels and still tripped as if there was
    an overload immediately ! So as there was no load (all sub panels off) I figured must be a bad breaker.
    I replaced the breaker. Same thing. Then I remembered these boat have transformers.
    The shore power and all systems work fine on source 2 which uses the other transformer. My question is
    has anyone had the experience of a transformer failing ? And if so was the solution to replace or eliminate
    or replace with some more modern system ?
  2. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

The 72' 1984 Hatteras that I'm currently delivering has had one transformer replaced in the past. Constant load and heat will affect them. The originals are basic isolation transformers, and the next step up are some really expensive load centers with buck/boost and frequency control/conversion. Best bet is to replace with the Charles Marine isolation transformer. Very reliable.
  3. Dave North

Dave North New Member

Thabk you. That is helpfull.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Call Hatteras for a recommended transformer list.
    Sams may help also.
    Remember, these are auto-transformers, no white wire on the input.
  5. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

I’m going through the same thing but it’s partial lighting and outlet systems. I’m looking at the wiring diagram to figure out transformer locations tonight. My 50c is going to have different locations than yours but I’ll let you know if I think of something
  6. Dave North

Dave North New Member

Thanks.
    If your boat shore power works for everything except for the lighting /outlet circuit. You could have a bad light dimmer transformer which is different than the whole boat isolation/ transformer. The last time I had a fault in an outlet/lighting circuit, it was a bad ground fault outlet in an exterior location. I misdiagnosed my problem, I can surely misdiagnose yours !
  7. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Just a thought. Aside of the main salon panel and the panel in the engine room, my 50c has a hard to reach breaker in the engine room where the shore cable comes in. I don't know if you have the same but worth checking
  8. Jdow

Jdow New Member

I have 2 good working Charles iso 50 transformers I just removed from a Viking during upgrades. They are 260lbs ea. So shipping is a little difficult. If interested message me