Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko Click for Abeking Click for Delta

Hatteras 90, 100, versus Westport 112 advice needed

Discussion in 'Westport Yacht' started by FlyingGolfer, Apr 11, 2018.

1. FlyingGolfer

FlyingGolfer Member

My first post! I am in early stages of shopping for a new 4 stateroom MY and have tentatively narrowed choices to the aforementioned yachts. We will spend half our time aboard, with a full time crew, no charter. Caribbean to Maine, sometimes having the boat transported to the Med. most important factors include quality of construction and seaworthiness. Money is no object, just want a great safe yacht that can go into as many harbors/marinas as possible, which is why I am not looking at a Westport (or Christensen) 164. Not interested in less than 18 knot top speed, by the way.
    Your thoughts will be GREATLY appreciated! This will be our first boat and we have a lot to learn.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The quality is pretty comparable between the Hatteras and Westport and both are the highest quality motoryachts in those size ranges. They all have pluses and minuses. What you really need to figure out is the cruising and the type of cruising YOU plan on doing and how many full time crew you need as well as layout. That will really determine which boat. (How many guests and how long each trip is). The amount of crew you can carry and storage increases exponentionally between each of the 3 yachts mentioned. The interior (and exterior) volume of each size goes up exponentially, but so do the cost and operating costs. The 112' Westport is currently their oldest hull design, but I believe they have a new design in the works. It is a great beam sea boat, but will pound a little in a head sea and is a little wet in a head sea but dry on the beam. The Hatteras' are a great head sea boat and beam sea, but a tad wet. They're both great sea boats overall. I have extensive knowledge of one of the yachts mentioned and fairly good knowledge of the other two. I'd recommend chartering a 100' Hatteras for a week as well as a 112' Westport for a week and spend some real time on them in various conditions and go from there. (There aren't any 90's to charter right now).
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  3. FlyingGolfer

FlyingGolfer Member

Thanks so much! We plan to fly to wherever our boat is, and will be on board mainly to cruise the local areas and at the marina meeting friendly boat folks.
    Another question: Am I correct that a larger boat will be somewhat limited as to marinas capable of handling us?
    Question: What about Ocean Alexander or a Dutch boat?
  4. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I have sea trialed both of these boats (100' Hatt and 112' Westport) and I agree with CaptJ's comments. You shouldn't have trouble finding dock space as these boats are on the shorter end of the spectrum now (hard to believe!). I would gravitate toward Westport. OA isn't on my radar. Dutch will be a metal boat. Whole 'nuther oxidizing chasing game!

Good luck and welcome to YF!
  5. Prospective

Prospective Senior Member

Full disclosure, I don't and will likely never have the money to entertain the purchase of a yacht in the class your are looking at. But I do play the "if I won the lottery" game in my head a lot. And if I were in a position to acquire a boat in that size range I would start by hiring the captain. With no boat experience you need someone to guide you who will be running and maintaining the boat. There is just far too much to know. An experienced captain would be a huge help in evaluating a boat and how it fits your needs. No sense in waiting until after the boat purchase to hire. Might as well take advantage of their expertise pre-purchase as well.
  6. FlyingGolfer

FlyingGolfer Member

I always thought "nuther" was a terrific word! Thanks for the input. The Westport will be beamier and have more room for my Total Gym and our daughter's many toys. So I am leaning towards the 112.
    In the future, we might be going on longer voyages, after we learn what we like to do with our shiny little boat. ⛴
  7. FlyingGolfer

FlyingGolfer Member

What a very interesting idea. Hmmm. If the Captain is a good one we plan to pay very well.
  8. German Yachting

German Yachting Senior Member

Would the Westport 125 be in play? The big plus there is a full beam master on the main deck and the most updated hull they are currently producing.
  9. FlyingGolfer

FlyingGolfer Member

Great question. I really like the 125. We are trying to buy the smallest boat that meets our needs, so we can get into as many marinas as possible. I suspect the Hatt 90 and 100 are not quite roomy enough, but the Westport 112 might be ok. If not, we would probably get the Westport 125 or 130.
  10. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

The charter idea from Capt J was excellent. Prior to buying we did a lot of chartering as the WP's are very popular charter boats. Not as many of the current vintage large Hatteras as simply not as many build. One plus in all the boats you mentioned is a draft barely over 6' so manageable most anywhere you'd want to go.

If I found I liked the boat for a week, I'd repeat for longer. You may think of the price of chartering as very expensive but not any more so than owning. You'll either find yourself loving the boat or not. We found ourselves liking both, but loving a WP 130 and a WP/PM 85 for entirely different purposes. For your purpose either the Hatteras or the WP 112 may be perfect.

As to the suggestion of hiring a captain first, we wanted to learn to Captain ourselves so we hired captains (a married couple) before we bought any boat. Now, for us it was great timing as their current owners at that time had aged and healthed out of boating and had their boat for sale.

One caveat, a captain, like any of us, might love or not love a specific boat based on some history or for reasons not really applicable to you.

You mention an 18 knot top speed and I'd ask why? I totally agree and we like to cruise in that range. Most don't agree with us. Again, chartering can tell you. We had to prove to ourselves and chartered a very nice boat with a 12 knot cruise, 14 WOT. We just did not like the limitation.
  11. FlyingGolfer

FlyingGolfer Member

Regarding speed, we just feel if we need the speed to avoid weather or for medical reasons, we ought to have the option.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I believe the beams are very very close between the two boats. Within a foot without looking it up. Hatteras did build a 100' with a full gym on the main deck. They also built at least one with an on deck master in the gyms place. Both the 100' hatteras and the 112' Westport will serve your needs. I cannot stress enough to do a week charter on both before buying and before hiring a captain. A week will immediately give a feel of what you like and don't like and what options in layout you may be looking for.
  13. German Yachting

German Yachting Senior Member

I know a broker that has two Hatteras 100s for charter. They have also extended it to be a 105 now with a larger bow seating area akin to the 90, larger skylight, and a little extra in the crew quarters.

Does anyone know if the Westport has a solid glass hull or is it just solid glass to the waterline? One thing that’s interesting is that they are both 275k empty weight boats with the Westport being a bit bigger.
  14. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Westport's have cored hulls.
  15. FlyingGolfer

FlyingGolfer Member

I will take your advice, thanks.
  16. FlyingGolfer

FlyingGolfer Member

Is the Hatteras 100 hull stronger due to the higher density? Same weight for the shorter boat, I mean. And is a cored hull ok if Westport builds it?
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Both hulls are plenty strong enough and over built for whatever you plan on doing with them. I do know of a 100' Hatteras that hit a shipping container off of PR at speed, it tore the port running gear out of the boat. The hull was intact and the boat did not sink and they ran it to a port and the vessel was fixed without issues. A cored hull is ok if built right and I do not know of any Westport hull failures whatsoever.
  18. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Traditionally Hatteras has used solid glass beneath the waterline. I don't follow their line closely enough to know if they ever veered from that lamination schedule. Westport's hulls are cored and resin infused. I personally prefer a solid glass hull, but I wouldn't have any concerns about a Westport hull. They are very well built boats.
  19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Hatteras is still solid glass beneath the waterline.
  20. Lenny

Lenny Member

One of the great joys of boat ownership is anchoring out. Has nothing to do with being able to find space in a marina. You need Zero Speed stabilizers and a towed tender. Once you spend one night at anchor, glass of champagne, beautiful dinner, sat tv, internet. You are paying for all these people (crew) why fight the crowds in a resort restaurant. Why be stuffed in Sag Harbor when you can anchor out and take the towed tender into town. We have children and grandchildren. All prefer to anchor out. Swim off the back etc. I agree that you should charter to get a feel of BOATING. Main problem is not the boat, both good choices, but crew. Great crew will make or break the boat experience. Top salary helps but not the cure. Bad crew, even with good references, will be nightmare. Crew is the MOST important item.