Click for MotorCheck Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Delta

Hatteras 70/75 MY

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by f3504x4ps, Apr 30, 2018.

1. f3504x4ps

f3504x4ps Member

Looking at new style Hatteras 70/75 MY. I really like the open fly bridge for a sunny day. How wet is the ride on the Hatteras ( 2015-2019 ) 70/75 MY in different seas to warent the enclosed bridge? It would be nice if Hatteras offered a lower helm as they did in the older 06 80' MY seems like the best of both worlds. I was on a lesser boat a few years ago a Prestige 550 that has fly and lower helm, there 750 just is not the boat for going from Cape Canevral Florida to the Caribbean for several reasons light weight (ride quality), IPS drives to name a few. We have not been on the Hatteras as of yet and there are several used on the market. Which brings me to ask why are there so many on the market for a 1 to 2 year old boat and new design? Are they not liking somthing major to buy and sell so quickly? Several have the MTU engines also?
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

It's common for the buyers to decide quickly they need or want a larger boat. I see two 2017's and one 2018 already on the market and, like you, I find that very disturbing and would want a believable explanation from each of the previous owners. If they moved up, to what? It's either a very odd coincidence or a very bad sign. Only by inquiring on all three would you possibly get an answer.

One reason we eliminated Hatteras MY's from consideration was the lack of a usable lower station. They're sticking to the sportfishing philosophy.

As to enclosed vs. open bridge that's just a matter of preference. We prefer open bridge with dual helm stations so one can operate from inside when conditions are bad. We only enclose the bridge when we know we're going to be spending considerable time in a colder climate.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I know of 2 of them that are for sale. 1 of them has a 90' on order. The other is it's their 5th Hatteras in a row and they've gotten to old to enjoy it. By the time it came, some health issues popped up in their lives. I see no need for the lower station on a 70-75' yacht for 99% of owners. You have a climate controlled flybridge, even on the open bridge Hatteras. Even if you have the EZ2CY open, you can close it in 2 minutes if need be. I'd much rather have the 10 seat dining room table than the lower station, which will be used all of the time, whether it be for some people to play on their laptop or for eating. You gain a ton of space without the lower helm with the new design and the skylighting. I don't think any have even been built with MTU's, but I might be wrong there. They're a very good running boat. I wouldn't say they're any wetter or dryer than any other boat, with a few exceptions.
  4. olderboater

One of the ones for sale has MTU 1800 hp's.

You know our feelings on upper and lower helms so clearly we're in your 1%.

Can't put up all the enclosure in 2 minutes though and 95% of the time we'd have none of it up.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

If you're running at cruise, there would be no reason to remove any of it except the front.
  6. f3504x4ps

f3504x4ps Member

Thank you both this is great information. It is a shame to hear of the health issues and having to sell, I hope it is not serious and a speedy recovery. That is not how I would want to have to sell. Were leaning toward the open fly bridge, I don't have an issue with having to put the EZ2CY up or down. Does the AC have enough BTU's to keep up in the Florida heat/sun. I would also only want the Caterpillar engines but unsure of the base Cat 1600hp or the upgraded Cat 1800hp or Cat 1900hp 23cruise kt/30 max kt, I don't know the fuel burn for all three or cruise/max kt speed for the 1600 or 1800. Thank you olderboater and Capt J.
  7. olderboater

We like the openness. We don't want windows all around when it's beautiful out.
  8. German Yachting

German Yachting Senior Member

I’ve actually seen some floor plans for the 75 as a rph from a Hat dealer. Could be something to look into directly with Hatteras.

Also, have you considered the Viking 75? They may be able to add a lower helm if you want the open sun deck.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The A/C is enough to keep up with the FL sun.
    Fuel burn is around 160 GPH on the 1600's at 80%, and 186 GPH on the 1900's at 80%. 1900's will cruise them just under or right at 24 knots. I don't remember the horsepower of the other one I ran.
  10. f3504x4ps

f3504x4ps Member

Thank you all. This is a huge help. Need to figure out if the extra fuel burn and speed is worth the cost now and at resale which is more important.
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You can run slower with the larger HP motors and get the same fuel burn versus speed as the motors are the same displacement.
  12. f3504x4ps

f3504x4ps Member

So your saying it is best to get the 1900HP engines run it at a slower RPM and then I have the top speed to out run a storm or an opening bridge/Lock. I've only had a smaller boat and for resale it is always bet to get the larger engine higher HP / more torque as they don't run as hard.
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yeah, pretty much.
  14. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

It takes X hp to push a boat at X knots it pretty much doesn't make much difference what size the motors are, fuel wise.

What matters is that the bigger engines are will work a lot less hard than smaller ones so in the long run they will last longer.

As long as the displacement matches the HP increase. Is it the case with the 1900hp cats bs the 1600/1650hp?

As a (smaller/much much much older) Hatteras owner I have a preference for these Hatterases and I have never got the chance of running the newer ones yet. That said 186 GPH for 24kts is a lot worst than the 110 GPH i get on the 2009 84' lazzara going 70% and 25kts... granted the Lazzara is a much lighter boat but that s a lot of fuel Worth waiting a couple days for the right weather ?
  15. f3504x4ps

f3504x4ps Member

We could go to a lighter weight boat and I have been looking at a few other MFG but the build quality is lacking. We were on a new Prestige 550/560 lots of room light weight the Prestige 750 is inboards and much lighter in weight but read that they don't handle 6ft seas and above very well kind of wallow around they are a resin infused hull and try to keep the weight down for smaller engines it also does not have great lines same with others on the market. Would stay away from Azimuth, and most made over seas poorer quality parts. Even if we watch the weather for the right time to venture out I'm worried that we get into trouble if a storms kicks up and the seas climb. I would prefer not to spend money foolishly if I don't have to but want a smoother ride for the Admiral or she will not want to use the boat for open water voyage's to other countries in the Caribbean. What other MFG's should I look at? I know loaded question
  16. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Viking has introduced some nice MYs in that size range, may not be on the used market yet though
  17. Lenny

Lenny Member

Crew or no crew? Towed tender?
  18. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The Viking MY's are intriguing but have a very different exterior layout compared to typical MY's. Sunseeker makes a very good riding 75' but very different, completely open (and difficult to enclose) flybridge layout.
  19. f3504x4ps

f3504x4ps Member

I don't plan on a crew but I am almost sure I would have to have a Captain required by insurance for some amount of time. so I would have a least one bed as the Hatteras 70/75 offers.
  20. f3504x4ps

f3504x4ps Member

I use to like the Sunseeker older models ( looked at purchasing a 2003 56' Predator in 2009) before new owners took over, they had awesome hulls for speed and smooth ride as you stated. I looked at the Viking 75MY last night and don't like the lay out which is the issue with most boats. If we do like the lay out they are not a quality boat and very light with will sacrifice ride quality but great on fuel burn. We want more of an ocean going vessel, but not like were taking a trans Atlantic crossing though. My wife liked the 750 Prestige for lay out. But I don't feel the quality is there and being light will roll and wallow around a lot, now it would be a great boat for Lake Michigan but were moving to Cape Canaveral / Cocoa Beach area next year so that would not work for us. Were looking to keep this boat what ever we get for a long time.