Click for JetForums Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for Furuno Click for Delta

Hatteras 6300 motor yacht

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by johnnwhite, Oct 22, 2020.

1. johnnwhite

johnnwhite New Member

I have been looking at 2002-2008 Hatteras motor yachts from 63-75 feet

after touring a few excellent low hour boats I find it strange that the 6300 my was only made a few years then changed slightly and renamed the 6400. Seems like hatters models run for a long time especially in the Brunswick years. Is there anything wrong with the 6300 to merit much lower prices then the 64

Both boats a very heavy at 110,000 pounds. As a comparison the old Hargrave 75 was 100,000 approximately

I don’t see another 60 footer in that range. Even the long running Hatteras 60 sport fish is 88,000. Could this be the reason these boats are lower prices and less desired?
  2. captaintilt

captaintilt Senior Member

In terms of the 6300 to 6400, I don't see many differences. More than likely it's just a model name change with very little hull change / or aesthetic changes. You'll never beat the ride of a Hatteras in sloppy conditions, and by looking at your location in Ohio, and if it's going to come to the Great Lakes ( I grew up boating and still Captain quite a bit in the Great Lakes) you'll love it when running in Lake Erie in a N or NE Wind. The other huge factor of the 6300 is having 3412's in it. Probably my favorite engine, and they are going to be in the 1400hp range which is nice for them, and easy to work on.

I don't think that weight would contribute to a lower cost.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I do not know these two boats specs but could reason; that lil changes in cabin or galley lay-outs resulted in model number changes.

Other slight changes could include tankage, engine changes or keel mods.
    A call to NewBern could settle all questions.
    Please keep us up dated with what you figure out.
  4. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

When we were looking at 63 and 64 Hatteras, the 64 layout is a big improvement over the 63 with a noticeable price difference. Both have good ER's. I did not like the port side helm setup or on the 63.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

They're basically the same boat when it comes to hull and exterior for the most part. I ran a 63' with C 18's and it was a very good package in that boat, was fast enough at cruise and fuel burn was very manageable, even though most 63's came with 3412's. The interior layout is a big difference, the 63' has a SF feeling salon/galley but honestly I always felt it was great for entertaining larger parties (6 or more). The 64' got a better interior layout for most people, more fuel (around 1600 gallons) although you have to valve the transfer pump between 3 tanks (most people don't use the 2 aft 200 gallon saddles except on long trips), C32's and more speed...... with the larger C32's they'll cruise at 28.5 knots at 80% ......with the 1550hp 26-27 knot cruise. They're a good seaboat and I've run a lot of them (>12) over the years and as far as St. Thomas and New england from FL. The boats are getting old, that's why they're lower priced.......You're talking about a 16-17 year old boat and they only made around 23 63's I think.
  6. 993RSR

993RSR Senior Member

6400 slightly less draft and the hull was modified slightly
    Updated more popular layout, no stacked bunks like the 6300 and nicer master
    The 6300 had ER access from a deck hatch and I think the 6400 is from the swim deck but double check that.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Yep
  8. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

I have an interest in these as well and have been looking at them for a while. They have transmissions with a 3 to 1 reduction maybe 3.5 and turn 7 bladed wheels. Not sure the exact reasons for this. But an acquaintance with a 64 lost one prop and it was $35,000 and might have been a little wait for it. I much prefer the layout of the 64 vs the 63. I am sure you realize that Hatteras now makes a 60 MY but I struggle with looks of the exterior. Not sure if a lower helm is available on the 64 and if so not sure of the visibility from the lower helm. Maybe Capt J could address that. If you are looking at the one in Longboat Key I know a little bit about it as I was a slip neighbor to it last year.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yes, some 64's had a lower helm and visibility was fine if running at cruise, but you got a smaller dinnette with a lower helm.

Hatteras tends to use a larger prop with a larger diameter because it both helps get up on plane and you get less vibration by spinning the props slower and using more blades.

The 60' is an entirely different boat, much smaller feel. I do prefer the open salon level layout of the 2012 and newer 60's. It's a good running boat, feel the ceiling height in the salon level could easily have been 1' less. Also the engine room has a lot of wasted space, but very easy to get around. It also has a single 1200 gallon fuel tank, so not having to manage transfering every 3 hours. Also 85GPH at 23-24 knots so more fuel efficient. The third stateroom is noticably smaller than the 64'. Also there hasn't been a 60' MY built with a lower helm.
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  10. johnnwhite

johnnwhite New Member

11. motoryachtlover

Thanks CJ. Another thought. I believe the 63 has a ladder from the aft deck to the bridge whereas the 64 has steps. The ladder would be a deal breaker for me as my wife has ailing knees. Steps would also help the helms person get quickly down to help with line handling if necessary.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The 64' does have steps both to the interior and the aft deck. I do not remember what the 63' had.
  13. johnnwhite

johnnwhite New Member

I don’t see a listing in long boat key, there is the seegato in miami which seems to be well priced at 650k . The windows were resealed and the heads replaced which I think the other 2002 in Annapolis needs. If you have the contact info for the boat in the keys lease send it to me I am headed down in a week or so
  14. motoryachtlover

John looked at Longboat Key’s yacht brokerage website and the 64 is not on there. I am left to assume that it is sold or taken off the market.