Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn Click for Delta Click for Furuno Click for Abeking

Hatteras 60 motor yacht

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by Georgia, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Georgia

Georgia New Member

anyone out there with feed back on the pros & cons of the Hatteras 60 ft motor yacht
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Quality build as is typical of Hatteras. Good ride and performance with 1135's. Better economy with 1000's/1015's but loss of performance and I'd want the larger option. With 1135's, WOT of 32 and cruise in the 26-28 knot range. Comfortable ride and living. Many positives. Handles conditions well, although a bit stern heavy, especially with full fuel and water and not the best at handling waves on stern.

Negatives in my opinion. First, no lower helm. Means you either have to enclose upper or operate from a flybridge regardless of weather and conditions. That was the deal stopper for us. Now I know Hatteras lovers have no issue with this. Poor arrangements for carrying tender. Many sold without stabilizers and I feel they are a must for the boat. CAT engines and very noisy. 83 decibels at WOT and 78 decibels at cruise. By comparison the 65' Sunseeker we purchased instead was 76 at WOT and 72 at cruise.

Excellent boat, but for the reasons I cited, wasn't the boat for us.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

They have a great range and hold a lot of fuel for their size. 1200 gallons I believe, The 1150HP C18's burn 85 GPH at 80%, older 1000 HP 76 GPH (both) at cruise. With the 1150 HP cruise is more like 23 knots with tender and 2 seakeepers and full fuel. They handle very well with the seakeepers. I haven't found them to be too tippy without them, but they definitely help. Half fuel with same equipment 24.5 knots. They have a terrific salon/galley layout with plenty of room for their size. I don't remember them being noisy at cruise, but it's been a while since I've run one at cruise. Teak is very thick, unlike the Euro boats. The highest quality motoryacht in the 60' range.

The hydraulic swim platform is perfectly fine for carrying a tender. The third stateroom is a bit cramped.
  4. Georgia

Georgia New Member

TY-Any input on Grand Alaskan
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

There is a thread on them here on forum. In short nowhere near the quality of a Hatteras.
  6. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

7. LARRYH

LARRYH New Member

I am considering a new boat and we looked at the HATTERAS 64 motoryacht but truthfully we like the layout of the salon much better on the HATTERAS 60 motoryacht
    I think Capt. J said he had experience with the 60 ,, SO I am anxious to learn if there are recommendations I see they built the 60 for several years .. so are there any concerns with an early boat vs a late boat ..> Are there any weak points to look hard at . I would be using the boat all around the Chesapeake bay although a trip to Florida or Nantucket would probably happen with this boat. .
    I would appreciate any information I am an owner operator...
    the other thought would be a 64?
  8. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

I have not been on one but was looking at them for my next boat. I have ruled them out (kind of) for the following reasons: can’t carry a largeish tender on the aft bridge deck, do not like that your only engine access when underway is by raising the hatch on the aft deck (I could get over this but it does bother me), early ones were V drives with stuffing box access under the engine. Most seem to have an air conditioned flybridge which would be mandatory for me on the next boat. Remember to search on boattrader as they have boats for sale by owner. There is one in Montauk that I have casually been watching.
    LARRYH likes this.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Where else would you have engine access on a 60' MY than the aft deck? It's on the aft deck as are every other 60' MY's engine room access to keep noise and fumes out of the salon. The engine room is accessable in virtually any sea state on the aft deck.

As for years. I prefer the salon layout of 2012 instead of earlier models due to the lack of interior staircase which gives a nicer salon. Hull was slightly redesigned as well in 2012. They're good running yachts with a ton of range considering they hold 1200 gallons of fuel. The third stateroom is nicer on the 64' but still usable/comfortable on the 60'. It's a great day boat for entertaining a dozen or so people, and very capable on a trip due to plenty of refrigeration, fuel, etc. Everything is pretty easily accessable too.
    LARRYH likes this.
  10. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

On the 54 & 60 Viking MY you enter the engine room through a full height door near the entrance to the aft stateroom. Same as on the Grand Banks 54 Europa and others. So other designers have found a way to incorporate an engine room accessible from the inside. As I said it is something I can get over but I don’t want to have to move aft deck furniture, rely on a electric over hydraulic actuator to access my engine room when something is wrong. Nor do I want to climb down a ladder when if I have lost power the boat turns beam to the wind and the rolling starts. Once again it may be only me that feels this way and I could get over it is not optimum in my opinion.
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

There are pros and cons thru every configuration I m not a big fan of ER access from inside the boat as you have to drag parts and stuff thru the boat. Also when working in there, with the door open you re blowing hot air inside the boat.

correct me if I m wrong but the Vikings you mentioned are older designs with the ER forward of the master which is an aft cabin. More heat and noise too than With the ER aft. Also with an aft cabin, one small wake slamming the swimplatform is guaranteed to wake you up…

also whenever you have people working on the boat, they can get in and out without getting inside. Nice for repairs when you and your family are on board

having owned or captained boats with both configurations, I prefer having the ER aft and access on the aft deck.

boats are all about compromises… No perfect set up.
    LARRYH likes this.
  12. mapism

mapism Senior Member

In the VZ 18 for instance, it's directly accessible from inside the aft crew area, which can be reached through a short stair inside the saloon.
    Best e/r access I've ever seen on a 60 footer, bar none.
    I don't think the builder ever exported on your side of the Pond, though.
    Liam likes this.
  13. Liam

Liam Senior Member

Mapis selling a VZ to the states is like asking for an Espresso and Cannollo in New York as breakfast ;)
  14. mapism

mapism Senior Member

LOL, yeah, I know.
    But that's one of quite a few IT builders (together with DP, for instance) whose boats IMHO had the potential to be successful in the US at least as much as Ferretti, if not more.
    OTOH, with their small capacity, they always struggled to keep up with the domestic demand, so they never even bothered trying to export.
    Which is also the main reason why they went belly up right after the financial crisis, when the internal demand dropped like a lead baloon overnight...

All that said, I did get a pretty good espresso at Dante's in NYC, for instance.
    And while I didn't try the pastry, their selection looked impressive and rather inspiring!
    BTW, cannolo is with just one "L"! :)
    Liam likes this.
  15. LARRYH

LARRYH New Member

Thanks for the Info I plan to look one more time a a particular 64 then once again at the 60 .. but I am strongly leaning toward a late model 60 .. Now all I have to do is sell my current L650 sea ray which really has been a decent boat for our use ....
  16. Liam

Liam Senior Member

Small capacity builders will always suffer in the USA, as boating in the big apple is the equivalent of the Auto Industry in Europe.
    Dealers in the USA do not just sell boats, but have to give a full 360 circle after sales service.
    That is uncommon in the EU besides the Liguria - Veneto in Italy, South of France, and Beleric, and North part of Sardinia.
    Ferretti was one of the few who following sales success in the eighties created a good service network in the Med and in early nineties was running flawlessly.
    Not even Azimut who are financially bigger then FG ever reached Ferretti standard of service in the nineties (which sadly in around 2005 started to decline)
    Cranchi got very close due to a good inhouse parts department and a lot of dealers in every village.
    The British besides the Balearics and South of France used to be below average.

Dalla Pieta, VZ, but also other builders (Itama / Alfamarine / Posillipo / Canados / the Viareggio builders etc) even though the quality of the boats was very high had 80% of there client base which was regional, and where geared to give service in that way.
    mapism likes this.