Click for Comfort Click for JetForums Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn

Hatteras 58' Tri Cabin

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by BarnettHF, Nov 16, 2021.

1. BarnettHF

BarnettHF New Member

Looking at one on-line and can't find any specific info about this. Looking for any reviews, what kind of hull (V, Full Displacement, etc.) Fuel use per hour at various RPM's, the stuff the brokers never tell you. Can anyone help? We are looking for a full-time live-aboard that can do the loop.

Suggestions welcome.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Can you share any details? Engines? Weight of dink on board? Boat lay out? Boat age?
    Or even the ad?
  3. BarnettHF

BarnettHF New Member

4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

You need to confirm the height of that arch.
    A couple of low fixed bridges around 19 feet in Chicago you have to clear for the loop.

IMO, Cut that price in half also.
  5. BarnettHF

BarnettHF New Member

Did ask about the arch. Also the type of hull as I'd like to know how far I can go one a tankful and the gph at cruise speed. Hard to find info on 50 year old boats.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

With those ole Cummins 8.3s, you can suck down some fuel trying to make speed. Going real slow, they may do darn good. Better than the original Detroit engines.
    The 8.3s are great engines @ 450hp.
    The 5.9s were short lived @ 450hp.

Quoting a friend on another thread; Hull speed is commonly calculated as the Sq root of LWL x 1.34. Just under this speed you may find up to 1 MPG, not including the gen-set consuming between 0.5 to 0.75 GPH.
    The hull bottom would be called a modified V.
    Very low deadrise toward the stern < 10 degrees.

Black and maybe grey water collection will be an issue also on the loop.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hull_speed
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

First at all for some reasons the name of the broker rings a bell. Actually a red flag. And I am not taking about the pathetic pictures ... geee. They couldn’t even make the beds before taking pictures????

The 450hp C series are the only thing that seem good about this boat, assuming installed properly and the shafts and running gear was done as well. The boat should do 1 NMPG at hull speed (9.2kts).

the layout of the 58TC was made obsolete once Hatteras launched the flush deck 53/58. This one seems even worst because of the home made aft enclosure

Just the way the electronics are installed, the mess in every picture raise a bunch of questions about the boat condition. This seems to be a project boat... capt Ralph could be wrong and half the price maybe way too much.

the arch will need to be hinged for the loop by I doubt this thing will make it up there anyway

black water shouldn’t be a problem, these boats had holding tanks from the factory. Grey water isn’t an issue on the loop unless you go up lake Champlain
  8. BarnettHF

BarnettHF New Member

Ok, going to take a pass on it
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Those were mechanical Cummins. Not QSCs.
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Same as what I repowered my 53 with
  11. BarnettHF

BarnettHF New Member

Hinged arch, which I need to see to believe.
  12. BarnettHF

BarnettHF New Member

Based on that calculation, the cruise speed should be 8.7.
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I may be remembering wrong, You put the 8.3s in or 5.9/6.0s?
    I'm not an Cummins expert but I thought the smaller (5.9 to 7L) and later 6 lung engines were were QSBs and the larger (8.3) was QSC and the big one (11) was QSM.
    The mechanical engines were called M5.9-** (**=hp).
    I am a big 8.3 fan, mechanical and fuel injected, and these would be a real super engine in your ship, I again,, may have just remembered everything wrong.
    This getting old stuff,, sux.. :eek::eek::eek:
  14. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

C series aka 6CTA are 8.3 B series / 6BTA are 5.7 and only make 250 to 300 hp.

When the y went electronic they were renamed QSC
  15. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

the 58s are about 52/53’ at the waterline so hull speed is around 9.3 to 9.4 kts
  16. BarnettHF

BarnettHF New Member

This is all that's in the ad on PopYachts:

Size (each):
    450 hp

Fuel Type:
    Diesel

Fuel Tank:
    950 gals

Cruising Speed:
    12 mph

Maximum Speed:
    21 mph

Fuel Consump.:
    12 gals/hour @ Cruise

Drive Brand:
    2F

I'm still trying to find the owners manual, but that may involve contacting Hatteras (can't find email or phone number, only dealers)
  17. KoffeeCruising

KoffeeCruising Member

Yikes.

….my 2 cents is the condition of the slot machine pictured in the listing may give you a sense of the current owners philosophy as much as the pics of the kitchen and beds. You’d have better luck buying a single wide* mobile home with an outboard strapped to do the loop than this thing.

*because double wides may not fit in the locks !
    chesapeake46 likes this.
  18. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

What do you want to know from the owners manual? Honestly it s going to be pretty useless since it is clear that this boat has been extensively modified.

If the engines were installed and propped correctly, best economical speed will be 9 to 9.2 kts. Not the 11kts (12mph) advertised which would be the worst possible speed.

again assuming all is right and the trim tabs work, the boat should be able to get on plane and cruise at 16/17kts burning 35/40 GPH.

if you look up Hatteras Owners forum brochures you will find a collection of brochures of pretty much all Hatteras models with some specs incl the 58TC

but again original specs are irrelevant considering the modifications and repower.
  19. BarnettHF

BarnettHF New Member

Hahaha rotfl
  20. BarnettHF

BarnettHF New Member

I'm not getting this boat! I found a 53' in Texas that might fit our needs. At least three staterooms so I can turn one into a she-shed, decent kitchen (do those old MM stoves work?) At least 9kn at cruise (no fuel guzzlers) and a hinged arch (I'm probably asking a lot for that last one).