Click for Furuno Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Cross

Hatch screen

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Fireman431, Dec 26, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Fireman431

Fireman431 Senior Member

I have a 2001 Carver Voyager 374.

Over the summer, my nephew thought it would be cute to climb in through the open hatch , not realizing there was a screen in place. Suffice it to say, it's destroyed.

Anyone have any thoughts on where I can find an aftermarket replacement? It's 21 x 21. I've tried the eBay, Boater's World, etc sites without luck.

Thanks in advance.
  2. pasogrande

pasogrande New Member

Hi, Fireman. I have grandkids and totally understand.

My Carver is 1989 and has hatches by Bomar, which is now known as Pompanette. If you Google them you will get a phone number. I needed the new "mushroom" fittings to stop a leak and look better. I spoke to a person there (I think her name was Frances) who was very helpful.

Although the price of the complete hatch is out-of-sight, the parts I bought were reasonable.

Hope this helps,

Wilf.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

If it's just the screen you should be able to didassemble and get a screen installed at most hardware stores.
  4. Fireman431

Fireman431 Senior Member

Thanks, Cap. but I wasn't clear enough. The offending kid destroyed the metal framework along with it. :mad:

I was going to simply make a new one from screening stock. For a normal window, you simply cut the metal to the desired length, apply the plastic corners, and respline the screen.

Buuuttt...the hatch corners are sharper than the rounded plastic corners that you can buy and rounder than the 90º sharp corners available. Nice propriatary setup.

I think i found the screen, but i have to buy the trim ring that goes with it, just to not use it. $60 plus another $15 for shipping. I'll have the screen, but it's a little pricey for just a replacement screen.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

6. Fireman431

Fireman431 Senior Member

Upon further inspection today, the frame wasn't nearly as fouled as I initially thought. I removed the screen, spline, and jointing of the framework and set about straightening it. Aluminum is very forgiving.

I set up a 90º jig in my shop and using a hammering block as a dolly, I managed to return the frame to perfect shape. Let me reiterate...PERFECT SHAPE!!! :eek:

New screen, 3/16" spline, and 2 hours labor...viola!! Good as new.

I appreciate the links to the Bomar/Pamponette sites. I'll need those later.