Click for Abeking Click for Perko Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for Walker

Growling Noise

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by dnahenson, Jul 24, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. dnahenson

dnahenson New Member

I have a 1999 Carver 356 Aft Cabin. This is our first summer with the boat and has been a learning experience from the first day. Until recently the boat has been problem free. This past weekend I noticed when trolling around the marina every time I took the port transmission out of gear (forward and reverse) and placed it to neutral it made a growling or moaning noise, I would guess until the prop shaft quit rotating. I checked the transmission and it is serviced properly. Any ideas is greatly appreciated.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Welcome to YF. Sure your dog wasn't down there playing with you?:rolleyes: Seriously though that's pretty vague. Is the sound coming from the transmission itself, the shaft coupling or further down the shaft? If it's in the transmission it could be a bunch of things, none good. But further down the line it could be the coupling is lose, the shaft log needs adjustment, worn cutless bearing, bent shaft or even something on your prop. I think this is something where you'll have to get someone on board to narrow it down further.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I'm guessing and please pass correct info, Borg 71/72 clutches with mild reduction? Can you offer exact engines and clutch models?
    AND, Your sure it has a correct fluid level checked warm, at idle, in neutral, after some use.
    NYCAP may have something, the last time I heard noise going into and continuing for a few seconds after shifting into neutral, the coupling bolts were loose.
    Lets get some eyes (with flash light ) and good ears down there while doing dome dockside maneuvering (after checking the fluid level & coupling bolts)..
  4. dnahenson

dnahenson New Member

Growling

I know the engines are the 7.4L Mercruisers but for the life of me can't remember which transmissions it has. This is also my first time with a boat that has the V/Direct Drive set up. All of my boating experience has been on Inboard/Outboards. I appreciate the ideas of what to look at and the feedback. I will get in there this weekend when I make it to the boat and take a look and listen.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I remember my old Paragon BOX V drives were noisy as heck. Old and wore out. Near what your describing.
    The newer PV3x's were much quieter.
    Never heard much more than a normal whine from ZF & Borg/Velvet V drives setups.
    I suspect you have the Borg/Velvet setup. Good stuff and easy to work on (once it's out of the boat).

More questions for your weekend;
    Are you using ATF or oil in yours? Last change?
  6. tommyfmu

tommyfmu Member

I have a 325 aft cabin and had severe clanking sounds coming from the borg warner velvet drive in fwd/neut/rvs. I would have sworn it was worn damper plates or snapped springs, but it turns out it was seawater that got into piston #3 through the exhaust on my stbd engine through the which now has to be replaced. Luckily, at was traced as being yet another Sandy casualty, fully insured. New eng should be in early next week.
  7. Monepit

Monepit Member

I had a 355 that did that. I would describe it as more of a wine or squeal though. It was the cutless bearing. I had it replaced and it quit for about 2 years. Then it started again. The guy at the yard said he see's these from time to time. Replace it and it will go away for a while and then come back. Ignor it and it won't hert anything. That's what I did after the first one.