Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Cross Click for Glendinning Click for Mulder

Ground fault issue/Junction box

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Woolard, Aug 19, 2024.

1. Woolard

Woolard New Member

My Cranchi 50 has had a ground fault issue that causes the AC main breaker to intermittently trip if I turn on anything with a high amp draw, but particularly the battery charger. I haven't been able to get any marine electricians to look at it, everyone is busy and its beyond my skillset. However the other day, I was down in the bilge changing the fuel filter, and i noticed the top of the battery junction box was very hot. I am safe to assume thats not proper?
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Please expand or define "battery junction box".
    Switch?
    Cables?
    The whole box and no idea what is inside?
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Ground fault because ??
    Or a high amp trip?
    It is real GFI main breaker?
    Do you have any amp meters? Any observations?

AND YES,, battery chargers, batteries, strapping, bonding and more can cause strange issues.

Lets start; When was it last working fine?
    What has changed since it was last working fine?
    Any work on your boat since it was last working fine?

At the same dock? Power connects feel cool? No pits on the shore power connect plug pins?
    Isolation transformers?

Yes, hundreds of questions, these and many more can cause main breaker trips. We have to start somewhere.
  4. Woolard

Woolard New Member

The cord at the dock feels cool. Issue has been around since last year, i've just been living with it. Over the winter, the boat yard replaced 2 of the 4- 4 agm batteries and another breaker and announced the problem fixed. But it persists. I discovered the "hot" transfer box by accident crawling around in the bilge. When the charger is on, no faults were indicated on the front display of the Pro Nautic 24-30P. Amps seem manageable even with 4 A/C units and all 3 fridges (approx 16-20ish amps on the meter)